Author Topic: I still hate the new Arrivee design  (Read 21152 times)

Ben T

Re: I still hate the new Arrivee design
« Reply #50 on: 17 June, 2018, 08:46:15 pm »
Why is it now in an opaque envelope? Is it due the politically correct mumbo jumbo around GDPR? Is a picture of someone on a bike technically classed as "data" that shouldn't be released to the postman?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #51 on: 17 June, 2018, 08:48:49 pm »
Why is it now in an opaque envelope? Is it due the politically correct mumbo jumbo around GDPR? Is a picture of someone on a bike technically classed as "data" that shouldn't be released to the postman?

AIUI it's because paper is more environmentally friendly than plastic.

« Reply #52 on: 17 June, 2018, 08:54:21 pm »
Political correctness gone mad.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #53 on: 17 June, 2018, 09:11:03 pm »

My understanding also.

Paper costs more, I believe.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #54 on: 17 June, 2018, 11:08:15 pm »

My understanding also.

Paper costs more, I believe.

But it is easier to recycle, most of the plastic films used can't be recycled...

Also avoids the irony that befell National Geographic recently:

Their edition about the impact of plastics on the environment arrived in not 1, but 2 layers of plastic wrap.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #55 on: 18 June, 2018, 02:12:00 pm »
Bit of a pain to organise but it'd be great if the mag came wrapped in potato starch, like the NT magazine

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/features/our-new-fully-biodegradable-magazine-wrapper

YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #56 on: 18 June, 2018, 02:17:58 pm »
If potato starch postal magazine wrappers cost anything like compostable caddy liners, AUK/Arrivée subscriptions would have to rise...

« Reply #57 on: 18 June, 2018, 10:36:56 pm »
But would potato starch be acceptable to the keto-adapted auk members?
Audax Ecosse - always going too far

« Reply #58 on: 18 June, 2018, 10:42:30 pm »
Don't lick your fingers to turn the pages.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #59 on: 19 June, 2018, 01:29:47 pm »
The only innovation I am not totally convinced about is that bloke talking training tips for cycling long distance... I think the all concept of "training" for an event clashes a bit with the concept of "randonneur"... I hope this trend doesn't spread beyond the page... last thing I want is a copy of Arrivee full of nutrition, kit, gear and training advice on how to ride faster for longer.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #60 on: 19 June, 2018, 01:36:11 pm »
Maybe there could be a cheaper rate for those who don't want a magazine posted to them.

« Reply #61 on: 19 June, 2018, 02:05:01 pm »
The internet's a funny place, somewhat lacking in nuance. What does the term 'hate' amount to? Better to say 'I still have my reservations about'.

I have my reservations about lots of things, that's my function as a grumpy old man. One's a shift to larger events, drawing on a wider pool of riders. That's not due to any elitism, just that bigger fields put more load on the road, and drivers are impatient when they've worked their way past more than a dozen riders behind me.

I don't ride my bike much any more, as I've had eye problems, my hands are knackered, and it's not good for my back. So my opinions are the polar opposite to keen newcomer, who expects some conformity to the cycling media mainstream.

I even have reservations about my reservations, I'm about 90% nuance these days. My ideal magazine would consist mainly of complex sub-clauses, containing numerous caveats. The direct approach is easier to edit, but I hate it.

bludger

« Reply #62 on: 19 June, 2018, 02:11:06 pm »
If potato starch postal magazine wrappers cost anything like compostable caddy liners, AUK/Arrivée subscriptions would have to rise...

Even if they do it's worth it to prevent waste of single use plastics that ruin absolutely everything.

BSAC and the National Trust manage to use the new technology without breaking the bank somehow I think AUK can do the same.

Ban cars.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #63 on: 19 June, 2018, 02:12:29 pm »

Even if they do it's worth it to prevent waste of single use plastics that ruin absolutely everything.

BSAC and the National Trust manage to use the new technology without breaking the bank somehow I think AUK can do the same.

...Or use paper?  Like they are doing?

bludger

« Reply #64 on: 19 June, 2018, 04:03:19 pm »
Compostable packaging is superior to paper, which has to be, manufactured, then after disposal processed and reconstituted. Compostable packaging comes from a waste product already, and breaks down after about 12 weeks after composting. Paper production is very energy and water intensive and isn't the eco friendly material it's made out to be even when recycled. http://www.theworldcounts.com/stories/Paper-Waste-Facts https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_recycling#Energy

Ban cars.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #65 on: 19 June, 2018, 04:32:46 pm »
As far as I know AUK doesn't have a green agenda though. They're an organisation for cyclists, not the same thing at all.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #66 on: 19 June, 2018, 04:42:38 pm »
I even have reservations about my reservations, I'm about 90% nuance these days. My ideal magazine would consist mainly of complex sub-clauses, containing numerous caveats. The direct approach is easier to edit, but I hate it.
I think you're being very clear there.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

bludger

« Reply #67 on: 19 June, 2018, 07:57:16 pm »
As far as I know AUK doesn't have a green agenda though. They're an organisation for cyclists, not the same thing at all.

I didn't realise you needed to have a 'green agenda's to be environmentally sustainable.

This marks the difference between oldies who grew up with leaded petrol and no congestion charge and younger people who actually give a monkey's about environmental health I guess....

Ban cars.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #68 on: 19 June, 2018, 08:30:59 pm »
The only innovation I am not totally convinced about is that bloke talking training tips for cycling long distance... I think the all concept of "training" for an event clashes a bit with the concept of "randonneur"... I hope this trend doesn't spread beyond the page... last thing I want is a copy of Arrivee full of nutrition, kit, gear and training advice on how to ride faster for longer.

As a complete newb to this, I would say some training tips are useful. It would save me asking so many questions here.

Suitable related topics that would be of interest to a newbie like me include: "Cut out the faff: Improve control discipline to save time and improve average speed", "Pain in the arse: how to improve on bike comfort", "Which is better M&M's, mars bars, or custard creams as audax fuel" "Going further: From 200 to 300" "going further: from 300 to 400" "going further: from 400 to 600" "The big one, doing your first 1000+ ride"

Would happily buy a beer to who ever can contribute the 1st, 4rd and last of those...

Compostable packaging is superior to paper, which has to be, manufactured, then after disposal processed and reconstituted. Compostable packaging comes from a waste product already, and breaks down after about 12 weeks after composting. Paper production is very energy and water intensive and isn't the eco friendly material it's made out to be even when recycled. http://www.theworldcounts.com/stories/Paper-Waste-Facts https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_recycling#Energy

Yes, but, where as paper comes from trees that are grown on non grade A farm land, potato start is derived from grade a farm land that would be better used feeding people. Then you have the fact that for most people, decomposition of the starch bag would be done in an anerobic environment, meaning it's likely to produce Methane rather than CO², which as a green house gas is effectively 25x more potent.

Also a paper envelope is more reusable (Reduce, reuse, recycle). For the majority of my paper envelopes that I receive, they tend to have at least one more life as a shopping list note pad, place to sketch stuff, packing list etc...

There are arguments for both. Tho I think we can agree that either paper or starch based packaging is infinitely better than dinosaur derived plastic.

Now if they could just rename the magazine back to Arrivee from it's current AWWOO...

J
--

« Reply #69 on: 19 June, 2018, 08:33:59 pm »
Compostable packaging is superior to paper...

I hate to break it to you, but the whole magazine's made out of paper.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #70 on: 19 June, 2018, 08:37:52 pm »
I wrote a bumcare article twenty-mumble years ago...
Top ten tips for a tip-top bottom...

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #71 on: 19 June, 2018, 08:40:08 pm »
I wrote a bumcare article twenty-mumble years ago...
Top ten tips for a tip-top bottom...

Are past editions available for those of us who haven't been AUK members for 20 years?

J
--

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #72 on: 19 June, 2018, 09:07:45 pm »
I don't think any more than the cover illustration is available for such ancient writings!

« Reply #73 on: 19 June, 2018, 09:15:03 pm »

Now if they could just rename the magazine back to Arrivee from it's current AWWOO...

J

I don't have a problem with the title/masthead being stylised.  It's not as if you have to decipher it anew each issue (unless your memory is really very bad).

Ben T

« Reply #74 on: 19 June, 2018, 09:20:31 pm »
Surely if you want to be that environmentally friendly, just email the PDF ::-) ;)... or is that too anti-luddite .. ::-) ;)
Anyhow - sorry, can't stop, just off to laminate a route sheet  :D