Author Topic: Trangia gas stove making popping noises  (Read 3321 times)

Trangia gas stove making popping noises
« on: 24 June, 2018, 02:45:47 pm »
When the gas conversion stove on our trangia gets hot after a few minutes running it starts making loud popping noises and hisses at a high volume as well.

I've stripped the burner and checked the jet is clear as per the instructions on the trangia website, reassembled and it is still doing it.

It seems particularly worse when using Coleman gas cans but they are more regularly stocked in camping shops than the primos cans I often use. I'm pretty sure it was popping a fair bit last time I used a primos can as well.

Any thoughts?
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

Re: Trangia gas stove making popping noises
« Reply #1 on: 24 June, 2018, 08:41:35 pm »
Maybe one side of the burner is blowing itself out, with unburnt gas accumulating until the flame on the other side of the burner reignites it?
Does it still pop when turned down low?
Does the faleme look normal if you lift off the pan and look whilst it's popping?

If my guess is right, try cleaning the jet with a pricker, rather than just blowing it through.

« Reply #2 on: 25 June, 2018, 12:42:52 pm »
The popping is worse at low flow rates. When the gas is turned up it makes a roaring noise which isn't very conducive to a late night coffee at the campsite.

Without a pan, it's burning orange which I don't remember when it was new, gas stoves are usually blue in colour. We've only had it 18 months or so.

The instructions state you shouldn't poke anything in the jet as it can be accidentally enlarged. Lifted into the light you can see through the hole so it seems to be clear. It's almost like the fuel is burning off before reaching the burner.

« Reply #3 on: 26 June, 2018, 04:23:31 pm »
Regardless of instructions, I think it's still worth trying to prick the jet,
Try a single strand of gear wire.
I've also heard of boiling up the jet working.

« Reply #4 on: 04 July, 2018, 10:27:08 am »
The Single strand of gear wire seems to have done the trick. Boiled the kettle on Sunday with no problem.

Thanks for the tip!