Author Topic: Hereward the Wake 300km, Friday 13th July 2018  (Read 7803 times)

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
Re: Hereward the Wake 300km, Friday 13th July 2018
« Reply #50 on: 15 July, 2018, 03:33:30 pm »
Sorry to have missed this ride, was really looking forward to it (and would have made it 4 tandems) but family matters have pulled me away to Devon for the weekend. Will put it on the list for next year.

« Reply #51 on: 15 July, 2018, 05:05:25 pm »
I do like these overnight rides with the weather so good and the dawn so early.

The curry beforehand set the ride up well, and the food on offer at the end finished it well. In between there were some lovely lanes, great company and a gorgeous sunrise. No issues, apart from a couple of Garmin route files that refused to provide much assistance, and riding with a couple of riders who pushed the pace along somewhat.

Thanks for another great event Tomsk, helped so well by Soupy, D and the ACME traffic marshalls at the start.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Chris S

« Reply #52 on: 15 July, 2018, 07:14:21 pm »
A six hour drive down from Teesside immediately before the ride probably wasn't great prep for a Tandem Team who are waaaaay off-par, fitness wise.

I totally turned into a pumpkin after 2am, and we rolled to a halt somewhere after Stilton. I just wanted to curl up on the verge and go to sleep, and nobody likes riding a tandem piloted by someone visibly nodding off.

On the plus side, we got to see the early morning, almost-dressed teenage fauna in the 24-hour McDonald's in Peterborough, at 4:30am, not to mention a group of almost-dressed teens on the train-of-shame back to Whittlesea. Holy fuck. WHERE ARE THEIR PARENTS?

For future reference, you can get a tandem on the early direct train from Peterborough to Stansted, but don't trust the info provided by station staff, on where the bike end of the train will be, lest you end up running down the platform like total loons, wheeling a tandem, shouting "No No!!" as the guard blows the whistle, and the door beepers on the train start beeping. Just sayin'.

Bairn Again

« Reply #53 on: 15 July, 2018, 09:57:53 pm »
A six hour drive down from Teesside immediately before the ride probably wasn't great prep for a Tandem Team who are waaaaay off-par, fitness wise.

I totally turned into a pumpkin after 2am, and we rolled to a halt somewhere after Stilton. I just wanted to curl up on the verge and go to sleep, and nobody likes riding a tandem piloted by someone visibly nodding off.

On the plus side, we got to see the early morning, almost-dressed teenage fauna in the 24-hour McDonald's in Peterborough, at 4:30am, not to mention a group of almost-dressed teens on the train-of-shame back to Whittlesea. Holy fuck. WHERE ARE THEIR PARENTS?

For future reference, you can get a tandem on the early direct train from Peterborough to Stansted, but don't trust the info provided by station staff, on where the bike end of the train will be, lest you end up running down the platform like total loons, wheeling a tandem, shouting "No No!!" as the guard blows the whistle, and the door beepers on the train start beeping. Just sayin'.

Thats a bugger Chris, but Id suspected as much - i was slower than a slug in maple syrup after Newport Pagnell and I was waiting for you to pass at some point but it never happened and I began to wonder. 

Still, super early trains are such fun  :D

« Reply #54 on: 16 July, 2018, 08:29:49 am »
A great ride - my first foray over 200 since the Dean in 2015 and gratified to get around a bit faster. 

Great to see some old faces at the start and at Cambridge.

The night stage was lovely (if a bit long) but WOW - after leaving Newport Pagnell the heat got me.  I struggled to maintain even 20kph and the last sections home from Biggleswade were a grovel - enhanced by the impossibility of dropping a local on a beat up hybrid with knobby tyres who kept telling me he was 78! He stayed with Mel Kirkland me for the best part of an hour talking about his weekly run to Tesco - I can only suspect he competed in the Olympics in the 1950s or is on some high quality pharmaceuticals.

L

« Reply #55 on: 16 July, 2018, 08:57:55 am »
A great ride - my first foray over 200 since the Dean in 2015 and gratified to get around a bit faster. 

Great to see some old faces at the start and at Cambridge.

Great to see you Liam (and Mel) and delighted you made it.....if you kept up with that sprightly Kirkland chap, you are certainly doing well!

Hopefully see you on 4th August in Uxbridge for the Boat Ride Perm, feel free to invite Mel along, his grin always cheers everyone up!

« Reply #56 on: 16 July, 2018, 03:32:03 pm »
Thanks to all involved, and especially Tomsk. Thoroughly enjoyed what was my first overnight, and first 300.

Shamelessly drafted a lot of wheels throughout the night, particularly towards the end. Hopefully the jelly babies made up for some of that.

Not sure the curry & beer beforehand were the ideal preparation - but good fun!
Turn, turn, turn again
Turn, turn to the rain
And the wind

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #57 on: 16 July, 2018, 07:17:46 pm »

It's the ACME way, you know it makes sense...  ;)

« Reply #58 on: 16 July, 2018, 07:42:08 pm »

It's the ACME way, you know it makes sense...  ;)

The more you practice, the better you get :)

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #59 on: 16 July, 2018, 09:50:17 pm »
I’m getting ACME withdrawal symptoms, but I did enjoy three ‘spoons veggie brekkies in four days around a CTC camping weekend recently!
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!