Author Topic: Tubeless commuting tyre recommendations please.  (Read 1191 times)

Tubeless commuting tyre recommendations please.
« on: 10 July, 2018, 04:54:59 pm »
So, with the advent of my Domane build, and a new job close by, I’ll be repurposing the Equilibrium as my utility/commuter steed. It’s currently shod with 28mm Schwalbe pro ones, which have been pretty good - no visitations so far - but might not last the rigours of commuting. What are the options for tubeless commuting tyres, max size 28mm (Genesis say 25mm with ‘guards, but I’ve shoehorned the Schwalbe in ok, tho clearances are minimal)?
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Re: Tubeless commuting tyre recommendations please.
« Reply #1 on: 10 July, 2018, 06:02:44 pm »
Hutchinson Sector 28.

Really impressed with them on winter bike. Hunt around for best price.

« Reply #2 on: 10 July, 2018, 06:30:50 pm »
the pro ones have a fairly thin tread; other 28mm tyres that are better suited to winter (I.e. with more tread) are likely to take up more space if they are also built on a carcass of similar width.

One of my chums ran (non-tubeless) Schwalbe ones through the winter and the number of flints they picked up was unbelievable. Not that many punctures resulted, admittedly, but the tyre carcass was still damaged by the flints such that the tyres were no longer safe to ride on before they were 'worn out'. He'd used marathons previously in the winter and they were fine, no problems, no punctures.

If you can't find a robust tubeless tyre, you can always fit tubed ones for the winter. In lightweight tyres one presently has the opposite problem; plenty of tyre manufacturers are no longer producing non-tubeless tyres that are terribly fast-rolling.

cheers

« Reply #3 on: 10 July, 2018, 07:19:37 pm »
Schwalbe One and Schwalbe Marathon are at absolute opposite ends of the tyre spectrum.

Yes, Marathons are very puncture resistant  but they also ride like a bag of shit. Ones are much closer to a racing tyre, and just as with all racing tyres they are more fragile. In some respects that is less of an issue with the tubeless variant as most puncture will self-heal. You can wear them fairly thin and not get annoyed by the increasing frequency of punctures, as long as you remember to top up the sealant.

For winter/commuting I still think Sectors are a good bet.

« Reply #4 on: 11 July, 2018, 03:21:46 pm »
the thing that worried me about my chum's 'ones' was that the cuts would (or should) have sealed with half decent sealant (if they had been run tubeless), but IMHO the tyre carcasses were sufficiently badly damaged that the tyres were no longer safe to ride on anyway.

For example once the plies have been cut, it isn't unusual for such a tyre to develop a diagonal bulge before it lets go completely. My chums tyres had several such bulges in them.

cheers

Phil W

« Reply #5 on: 11 July, 2018, 03:24:38 pm »
Agree the 28mm Sectors are a good robust and  nice rolling tyre.  I used to ride my regularly on easy off road without issue.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #6 on: 11 July, 2018, 03:33:48 pm »
Tubeless version of Marathon Supreme looks interesting, though only available in 37 or 42mm.

« Reply #7 on: 14 July, 2018, 10:45:00 pm »
Well I’ve ordered Sector 28’s for the commuter, and Fusion 5 All Season 28’s for the Domane or weather/winter trainer build. I’ll stick with Schwalbe pro Ones on the fair weather bike for now, but next year will look for some lightweight tubeless like Galaktics for it.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #8 on: 14 July, 2018, 10:47:07 pm »
I suspect the Ones might be a better bet than Galaktiks. I've got a set, not yet fitted, and they are pretty thin.