Author Topic: It's hot out there!  (Read 7144 times)

It's hot out there!
« on: 23 July, 2018, 03:02:45 pm »
OK, a few weeks ago I bailed on a 300k audax due to the heat... this weekend I'm planning a 600... apart from the obvious like drinking lots, avoiding the midday sun etc I wondered if there was any advice about apparel?

As a helmet wearer, would a white bandana be a good idea?  perhaps soaked in water from time to time?
What about white arm warmers?  always seems counter intuitive to me, but happy to try anything :)

I'm not particularly fair skinned so not worried about sun burn etc - it's just the heat, especially as 80% of my rides are done at night, I'm not very used to it  :facepalm:

Thanks!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: It's hot out there!
« Reply #1 on: 23 July, 2018, 03:14:29 pm »
I did a 3 hour race last week wearing helmet and elbow pads (effectively arm-warmers with added padding), and my advice would be ...not to.  I felt rather unwell by the end of it.  :hand:

Soaking clothing (particularly headwear) in water is good, if you can spare the water.  It evaporates pretty rapidly in these conditions, though.

Not sure about white arm warmers, but bear in mind it's the reflectivity of clothing in the infrared that actually matters here.  There's a IR photo of me in a YACF jersey somewhere, and it turns out that the manufacturers have already thought of this, and the black-in-the-visible-spectrum dye is already reflecting the bulk of the sun's energy.

Don't skimp on the sunblock.  I don't have particularly burny skin either, but borderline sunburn is a good way to make me feel worse.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2 on: 23 July, 2018, 05:01:00 pm »
I've usually felt cooler with the wind blowing through the helmet with no bandanna in the way. It has disadvantages, though: insects get in (assuming any have survived the neonics in your part of the world) and if you do pour water over your head it washes the sweat down into your eyes unless you tilt your head right back.

I usually soak the towelling part of my gloves and sponge off my forehead from time to time. It cools you, but the gloves fairly reek after a while.

As it gets hotter, thick warm sports drink becomes disgusting.

I don't burn that easily in the sun, but my skin has occasionally gone from looking & feeling fine to being blistered without me noticing any intervening discomfort.  I'm told that this is not a good condition to be in.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 23 July, 2018, 06:34:51 pm »

I did a 300km ride on Saturday, it was rather warm, mid to high 20's the whole day. I drank over 6L of liquid over the 300km and was still very dehydrated. At each of the controls I used the opportunity to wash the salt off my face. I also had regular applications of factor 50 to everything that was exposed. This is the 4th Audax in 2 weeks in the high temperatures (3x 200k diy, 1x 300k cal). I've done the same on all of them, drink more water, and if you think you've drunk enough, drink some more, then some more just to be sure. If in doubt, drink. With this in mind be aware of where your water points are, particularly at night, where are the options to refill? When you do goto the loo, keep an eye on the colour, if it's darker than a pale lager, drink more water.

Finally don't forget, that salt you washed off your face? It needs replacing. You can get proper products for this, but I find that ready salted crisps, or chips (fries round these parts) with lots of salt seems to be just as effective. In the 900km I did in the last 2 weeks, I've not had any issues with muscle cramps due to low salt.

Drink more water.

J

PS Drink more water.
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4 on: 23 July, 2018, 06:49:26 pm »
Soaking clothing (particularly headwear) in water is good, if you can spare the water.  It evaporates pretty rapidly in these conditions, though.

Yep always worth doing. It doesn't matter about how fast it evaporates - ALL evaporation is cooling, if more happens, you probably needed more :)

Not sure about white arm warmers, but bear in mind it's the reflectivity of clothing in the infrared that actually matters here.  There's a IR photo of me in a YACF jersey somewhere, and it turns out that the manufacturers have already thought of this, and the black-in-the-visible-spectrum dye is already reflecting the bulk of the sun's energy.

Gosh, that's Quite Interesting.

However, I'd guess that if you don't know that the manufacturers have been clever, white clothing would reflect IR better than dark.
If this is wrong, I'll be very grateful to hear about it ...

p.s. Bobby; you riding to/from the Bath-Raglan audax?

pp.s. Sneaking my own question in ...
I think adaptation to the heat is a generally accepted thing (even for us pale Anglo-Saxons). But does anyone know the timescales? Should I do a hot hard session a week before my "A event"? Or 2 days? Or a month??
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #5 on: 23 July, 2018, 07:29:34 pm »
I'd have to confess that, as a 'bent only rider, for reasons of spinal rehabilitation, I've severely curtailed my riding in this hot weather. I'm not able to get out early or late, so that leaves the daytime hours.  Lying fairly flat in the sun for 2 or 3 hours and working hard at the same time is no fun and, although I spent many years working in tropical and desert climates, our hot UK weather always seems very difficult to deal with.

I'd not lay out in the sun in the garden for more than a few minutes, why would I do it on a bike?

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #6 on: 23 July, 2018, 07:59:32 pm »
I'd have to confess that, as a 'bent only rider, for reasons of spinal rehabilitation, I've severely curtailed my riding in this hot weather. I'm not able to get out early or late, so that leaves the daytime hours.  Lying fairly flat in the sun for 2 or 3 hours and working hard at the same time is no fun and, although I spent many years working in tropical and desert climates, our hot UK weather always seems very difficult to deal with.

I'd not lay out in the sun in the garden for more than a few minutes, why would I do it on a bike?

In my case it has certainly made for an interesting sun tan.  I bailed this evening in favour of repotting a couple of plants.  Intention is an early one tomorrow for an hour or so.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #7 on: 23 July, 2018, 08:20:36 pm »
Thanks all for the advice, I need to check route for water stops, I have a couple of insulated bottles that 'll take to try and keep water cool.  I'm also going to sure I have room to carry a third bottle just for tipping over myself if I decide it's needed on the day :)

I've got on well with high5 zero tabs (SiS make me sick), but I do need to carry some more.  Will also target proper food stops in the hottest part of the day.  I may see if I can drape a tiny white microfibre towel (wet) over my neck for if it all gets a bit much. 

p.s. Bobby; you riding to/from the Bath-Raglan audax?

Yes - planning a rambling ~190k overnight to get to the start, then have booked the premier inn at Trowbridge which is ~20km away after the event - it has aircon!
I can eat/shower/get a few hours sleep in the cold, then ride the ~190k home. 

I need to do something of some distance to be sure I'm up for the Borders of Belgium ride in Sept after what's been a poor year.  Even if I don't manage the 600 in time due to having to stay in the shade, a full weekend riding will do me the world of good.

« Reply #8 on: 23 July, 2018, 08:41:56 pm »
Riding - or anything else - in the extreme heat takes some getting used to but the reality is that you can get used to it. Plenty of liquid with electrolytes and salt stick capsules, eat often even if you don't feel hungry and take energy gels.

Before you start the ride drink a full 24 ounce bottle of water and keep that up. Drinking whilst riding is not easy to do because you just don't remember to do it with the consequence that by the time the body starts screaming for water, it is too late and you are playing catch-up. Actually, the body dosn't really scream, the blood gets thicker and the body ceases to have the energy or strength to make much of an effort. Where you were doing maybe 18 MPH for the first miles you will be hard put to go much more than 12 MPH by hour four or five. Eventually the body starts to shut down, you will begin to lose balance and weave around a bit and then simply have no energy to continue and will have to find a nice cool place in the shade to sleep for a few hours.

The head needs to be as unencumbered as possible with just a well designed helmet with plenty of air slots, bandanas are a bad idea.  White arm 'coolers' work fairly well if you can keep them moistened but eventually I remove mine because there is more heat retained than sun effects bounced off.

If the opportunity arises to allow water from a tap to soak your head so much the better. 

Remember that your speed on cool days will not be replicated on hot days and you will take longer to finish. Spend as much time outdoors every day to become acclimated.

Around here, the temperature has been in the 90's for the last two months and Saturday's ride of 70 miles for me was in 105 degrees by ten o' clock and where I might have ridden that in say 4 hours 20 minutes during the cold times, this day it was 5 hours 30 minutes. Be aware of the dangers of high temperatures, but with sense and planning, there is no reason to stay at home, it will just take longer.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 23 July, 2018, 08:49:43 pm »
Riding - or anything else - in the extreme heat takes some getting used to but the reality is that you can get used to it.

This is where being BRITISH is generally a disadvantage, on account of our usual quota of two weeks of hot weather (plus a freak weekend in March) per year.  It's not that our weather's particularly extreme, it's that we're both unprepared for, and don't get time to adapt to it.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #10 on: 23 July, 2018, 08:53:03 pm »
In fact, our weather is rather unextreme.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 23 July, 2018, 09:00:39 pm »

The only thing extreme about it is the inconsistency.  (Except in Kent, which as every child who grew up in northwest London watching Newsroom Southeast knows is full of earthquakes and tornadoes and massive flooding and so on.)

Chris S

« Reply #12 on: 23 July, 2018, 09:04:04 pm »

Very much this. Even now. Sure it looks parched out there, So what? It's like this every year, in France - so it's a bit further North this year, yaaaay!

I mentioned to #1 son that it was "humid" earlier. He did a summer in the Bahamas on a conservation survey thing and reminded me that,  no, it's not. Proper humid is where it's like your bathroom after a hot shower. Sure, it's hot - 31C is definitely hot - but it's not humid (RAF Lakenheath this evening: 30C, 43% humidity).

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #13 on: 23 July, 2018, 09:13:18 pm »
Riding - or anything else - in the extreme heat takes some getting used to but the reality is that you can get used to it. Plenty of liquid with electrolytes and salt stick capsules, eat often even if you don't feel hungry and take energy gels.

Agreed with the basic premise, you get used to it. The heat is often not as brutal as the humidity as that effects the ability of the sweat to evaporate. This is why it can often be better to just keep moving, if slowly, rather than stop, unless you can find the useful combo of some breeze and shade.

Before you start the ride drink a full 24 ounce bottle of water and keep that up. Drinking whilst riding is not easy to do because you just don't remember to do it with the consequence that by the time the body starts screaming for water, it is too late and you are playing catch-up. Actually, the body dosn't really scream, the blood gets thicker and the body ceases to have the energy or strength to make much of an effort. Where you were doing maybe 18 MPH for the first miles you will be hard put to go much more than 12 MPH by hour four or five. Eventually the body starts to shut down, you will begin to lose balance and weave around a bit and then simply have no energy to continue and will have to find a nice cool place in the shade to sleep for a few hours.

That's a ~800ml bottle of drink, 29.3kph, 19.6kph, in sensible units...

Agreed with the sentiments, in hot weather I actually carry a pulse ox in my bag, it can be useful for doing a self check, when you might not be able to fully check your vitals otherwise. This has been useful in the past when having issues with heat stroke and dehydration. It weighs little, takes up little space, but I find it useful. But then I have a buddy in SAR who monitors my tracker, and is an EMT, so often useful to relay info for 2nd opinion. Yay for irridium...

The head needs to be as unencumbered as possible with just a well designed helmet with plenty of air slots, bandanas are a bad idea.  White arm 'coolers' work fairly well if you can keep them moistened but eventually I remove mine because there is more heat retained than sun effects bounced off.

I wonder if there is some mechanism related to supersaturation in proximity to the skin that deminishes the effect...

If the opportunity arises to allow water from a tap to soak your head so much the better. 

Remember that your speed on cool days will not be replicated on hot days and you will take longer to finish. Spend as much time outdoors every day to become acclimated.

Around here, the temperature has been in the 90's for the last two months and Saturday's ride of 70 miles for me was in 105 degrees by ten o' clock and where I might have ridden that in say 4 hours 20 minutes during the cold times, this day it was 5 hours 30 minutes. Be aware of the dangers of high temperatures, but with sense and planning, there is no reason to stay at home, it will just take longer.

That's 32°C, and 114km, 40.5°C.

Or YE gods that is hot!

I know it peaked at over 30°C on some of my recent rides, including 34°C in Belgium of all places! What was the humidity like where you are? Here it's basically a swamp (complete with mosquitos).

This is where being BRITISH is generally a disadvantage, on account of our usual quota of two weeks of hot weather (plus a freak weekend in March) per year.  It's not that our weather's particularly extreme, it's that we're both unprepared for, and don't get time to adapt to it.

It's quite nice that we've had such a prolonged spell of bonkers heat, it means that those who have taken the opportunity have been able to adapt to the heat somewhat. I'm certainly coping with the heat a lot better now than I was a month ago.

Would short exposures help? Say a weekly Sauna session?

After my earlier post, I remembered something else to add, consider carrying extra pairs of shorts and changing them more often, even on a 200 or 300, swapping shorts at the halfway point can be very useful, the pad area doesn't really get much chance to dry out, and even with the best chamois cream in the world, it's going to be unpleasant, Shorts don't weigh much, so sticking an extra pair in your bag can be very useful,

Very much this. Even now. Sure it looks parched out there, So what? It's like this every year, in France - so it's a bit further North this year, yaaaay!

Yes and no, It is substantially outside the norms for the area, being as it is several standard deviations from the norm. It is not extreme on a global scale, but in terms of the UK or Netherlands, a prolongued period without rain (over a month so far here!) is unusual. It may not be extreme, but it is abnormal.

There is a lot to be said for using the term Global weirding, rather than global warming...

I mentioned to #1 son that it was "humid" earlier. He did a summer in the Bahamas on a conservation survey thing and reminded me that,  no, it's not. Proper humid is where it's like your bathroom after a hot shower. Sure, it's hot - 31C is definitely hot - but it's not humid (RAF Lakenheath this evening: 30C, 43% humidity).

Here in the Swamp^W^WAmsterdam, the humidity at 2200 is about 60%, and the temp has dropped to low 20's. When I left work at 1800, it was 28°C and bonkers humid.

The only thing extreme about it is the inconsistency.  (Except in Kent, which as every child who grew up in northwest London watching Newsroom Southeast knows is full of earthquakes and tornadoes and massive flooding and so on.)

Ah yes, Variance vs max vs min etc...

In my time in Kent I've experience an earth quake, and been involved in the Emergency response for the flooding, Missed the tornades tho (more accurately water spouts, IIRC, those reported in Kent touched down on water, vs those in Brum which landed on, um, land).

J
--

« Reply #14 on: 23 July, 2018, 09:13:53 pm »
It's humid.  Just not as humid as places where it is more humid.

« Reply #15 on: 23 July, 2018, 09:29:16 pm »

Ha! Really?

It wasn't that long ago when Brits had pride in their Imperial measurements and were comfortable with British weights and measures before they went cap-in-hand to join with the Europeans and as a result turned their backs on hundreds of years of 'sensible' tradition. Thank God the Americans haven't fallen to metric grovelling.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #16 on: 23 July, 2018, 09:30:41 pm »

Ha! Really?

It wasn't that long ago when Brits had pride in their Imperial measurements and were comfortable with British weights and measures before they went cap-in-hand to join with the Europeans and as a result turned their backs on hundreds of years of 'sensible' tradition. Thank God the Americans haven't fallen to metric grovelling.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Polar_Lander

J <--- Proud European, and fully metric. Tho able to translate silly units to SI units.
--

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #17 on: 23 July, 2018, 09:30:53 pm »
I'll stick with sensible units, thanks.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #18 on: 23 July, 2018, 09:37:36 pm »

Yes and no, It is substantially outside the norms for the area, being as it is several standard deviations from the norm. It is not extreme on a global scale, but in terms of the UK or Netherlands, a prolongued period without rain (over a month so far here!) is unusual. It may not be extreme, but it is abnormal.

There is a lot to be said for using the term Global weirding, rather than global warming...
Okay, I should have said the British climate is unextreme.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #19 on: 23 July, 2018, 09:42:22 pm »
Okay, I should have said the British climate is unextreme.

That is true, however the extremes of the British Climate can represent a challenge to the human body, the extremes of the UK climate are about -10°C (lower on occasion), which is enough to kill an unclothed human in minutes. At the other end, 32°C, in full sun can represent a threat to a human if unshaded and unclothed. It is only our ability to make clothing that allows us to live even here.

And for many who are on the weaker end of the bell curve (Generally the very old or very young), then heat like this is a substantial threat, and there will be a spike in the number of deaths in these demographics at this time of year.

J
--

« Reply #20 on: 23 July, 2018, 09:50:48 pm »
I'll stick with sensible units, thanks

Probably best, less need for the brain to do any work.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #21 on: 23 July, 2018, 09:52:57 pm »

Oh this should be fun...

Do tell...

J
--

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #22 on: 23 July, 2018, 10:09:49 pm »
You are safest with the unit with which you are familiar. Charlie is American so his ounces, pints and quarts aren't the same size as ours anyway.

I favour wet flannels to keep body clean and cool.

Remove your h*lm*t as soon as you get off the bike.

Enjoy ice and ice cream whenever they're available.

If you have the time and opportunity, use hands and/or feet to dump heat in basins of cool/cold water. Extremities have a blood supply which exceeds their need; they are heat exchangers. Use this!

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #23 on: 23 July, 2018, 10:15:28 pm »
You are safest with the unit with which you are familiar. Charlie is American so his ounces, pints and quarts aren't the same size as ours anyway.

The ounces are the same, but they have a different number (16) in their pint, and thus their quart. The UK imperial ounce and the US ounce are both 28.3g. Troy ounces on the other hand are 31.2g, but they tend to only be used for precious metals and jewelry.

I favour wet flannels to keep body clean and cool.

Remove your h*lm*t as soon as you get off the bike.

Back on topic, I have been carrying a few of the compressed coin towels. Add a few drops of water and what looks like a large mint, turns into a flannel. They are quite cheap on ebay. Very compact in the bottom of the frame bag, but very useful when you want to soak the face to cool off. Or just wash the salt away.

Enjoy ice and ice cream whenever they're available.

If you have the time and opportunity, use hands and/or feet to dump heat in basins of cool/cold water. Extremities have a blood supply which exceeds their need; they are heat exchangers. Use this!

Ooh, hadn't thought of the heat exchanger thing, shall try to remember that.

J
--

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #24 on: 23 July, 2018, 10:18:15 pm »

I'm an engineer and mostly interested in the efficient way to get the result needed, so of course I use metric. Brainpower gets reserved for stuff that actually deserves the effort.

Did you know that all the motorways in the UK have mileposts in kilometres and that all the highway structures are designed purely in metric before having imperial signs stuck on them? That has been going on for decades and the engineers involved are very grateful for metric.

I think Charlie is an ex-pat Brit in the USA. Ex-pats often have rose-tinted views about idiosyncratic aspects of the land of their birth.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...