Author Topic: Tan Hill Overnighter 14 December 2018: It's Christmas!!!  (Read 20037 times)

Re: Tan Hill Overnighter 14 December 2018: It's Christmas!!!
« Reply #100 on: 10 December, 2018, 10:20:11 pm »
I have a⁦ spare pair of MW's if anyone is interested.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #101 on: 11 December, 2018, 05:37:50 pm »
Brrrr...definitely got colder today, gonna be a good test of the kit tonight (if I manage to drag myself away from the pub’s roaring log fire...)

Got the tracks out the way early, rather than rampage across moors bridleways in the dark, so just had to suffer the inclines in the afternoon - lots of walking and looking at views but hey, it’s a holiday, right? ;D
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #102 on: 12 December, 2018, 07:42:35 pm »
Bit of a meh morning, as we say Goodbye North Yorks Moors and Hello Pennines, having to beat across the plain on main roads...

Cthulhu’s balls - how much for Ham & Eggs? Mollified a bit by getting half-a-pig and a mountain of chips, but still, significantly north of a tenner is pushing the boundaries.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #103 on: 12 December, 2018, 08:36:52 pm »
In light of the weather and train forecasts I've decided that studs are prudent but since I've no intention of taking the wading-through-a-bog COR approach, the MTB with Ice Spikers is overkill.  On that basis I've cleaned the worst of the grime off my hybrid[1] to check there's a functional bicycle underneath, and dug out the Marathon Winters.

Main concern at this point is lurgy, which isn't getting better at any kind of speed.  Currently producing prolific amounts of snot and feeling low-level rubbish, but my breathing's okay, so I'm not chickening out yet.  It's not that big a hill, after all.

[1] Which has useful features like 700c wheels, proper mudguards and dynamo lighting.

« Reply #104 on: 13 December, 2018, 10:09:43 am »
I still can't decide on studs. Need to make a decision when I fettle the bike tonight. On one hand, it's looking cold. On the other, they're really draggy. :-\

« Reply #105 on: 13 December, 2018, 10:18:15 am »
I don't think ICBA with studs. I'll just take the bike as is. Tomorrow morning could be interesting (but the road from Tan Hill to Reeth is supposed to be gritted).

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #106 on: 13 December, 2018, 10:30:16 am »
I'm looking forward to seeing all y'all tomorrow.

« Reply #107 on: 13 December, 2018, 10:48:42 am »
We're riding over from Muker.

With studs. I fully anticipate muchos hike-a-bike

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #108 on: 13 December, 2018, 11:16:41 am »
I will be coming in from the north east (Bishop Auckland) at about 1600-1700, can detour if needed. Will be leaving in the general direction of Hawes and Ingleton on Saturday, departure a can be flexible if needed.

As I will be in a van, shall I bring my bike rack (room for three), to be broom wagon?
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #109 on: 13 December, 2018, 01:49:38 pm »
Me and Mrs Socks will also be in the van with bike rack if needed.  Heading up Arkengarthdale from Reeth and aiming to get to Tan Hill 4.00pm ish.  Look out for a blue and white campervan, or PM me for a mobile number in case you need a lift.  (That's assuming there's any mobile reception of course).
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #110 on: 13 December, 2018, 01:55:58 pm »
I don't think there's any mobile reception at Tan Hill.  Some dodgy WiFi...

« Reply #111 on: 13 December, 2018, 02:47:00 pm »
I’m riding up from Harrogate, hoping to arrive around 1600.

Winter tyres on order, but unlikely to be here in time. More positively, the forecast has ‘improved’ to cold, but with lower probability of precipitation while I expect to be riding. Given the current tyre and weather I’ll bring the dynamo bike I suspect.

Look forward to seeing everyone.

Mike

« Reply #112 on: 13 December, 2018, 04:03:02 pm »
I don't think ICBA with studs. I'll just take the bike as is. Tomorrow morning could be interesting (but the road from Tan Hill to Reeth is supposed to be gritted).

Same. I say I CBA; what I mean is if I had some to put on, I probably CBA to put them on.

Leave after it warms up, but before the snow starts. Or failing that, I don't fly until Tuesday. Be reet.

I'm riding Sunderland - Bish Vegas - Bowes - Tan Hill I think.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #113 on: 13 December, 2018, 08:39:44 pm »
Ah, snuck behind Kettlewell Church last night, which was fine, apart from the chimes every hour. And each 15 minutes..but eventually tuned them out.

Lovely, back on the tracks, and my favourite valley of Kingsdale, climbing over to Dent. 

But you just had to try that 4th track, didn’t you?  Two miles of bog trotting later in the dark, I bailed it when a SP said another three miles, still having to scramble a mile straight downhill into Dentdale.  Good job I’m in the Howgills bunkhouse, and can deskunk everything for tomorrow ;)

« Reply #114 on: 13 December, 2018, 10:16:12 pm »
I've gone for the no studs option (but still fat tyres: 43mm!), which probably means it'll snow. Bar Mitts are on though. ;D

I'll be riding up from Oxenholme, as it was the cheapest place I could find a train ticket to this morning when I finally bothered booking. Didn't fancy riding from anywhere north, given the likelihood of a headwind - sojournermike, you should have a lovely wind-assisted ride! I did consider going from Harrogate but it's too much of a faff getting there.

« Reply #115 on: 13 December, 2018, 10:22:22 pm »
I've gone for the no studs option (but still fat tyres: 43mm!), which probably means it'll snow. Bar Mitts are on though. ;D

I'll be riding up from Oxenholme, as it was the cheapest place I could find a train ticket to this morning when I finally bothered booking. Didn't fancy riding from anywhere north, given the likelihood of a headwind - sojournermike, you should have a lovely wind-assisted ride! I did consider going from Harrogate but it's too much of a faff getting there.

I’d have been glad of the Company. Still undecided on tyres! 28mm with dynamo or 54mm racing Ralph without.

Agree the wind looks helpful up, not so great heading back on Saturday.

« Reply #116 on: 13 December, 2018, 10:33:11 pm »
You guys be safe up there and enjoy!
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #117 on: 13 December, 2018, 10:35:35 pm »
I'm sticking with the 40mm studs, on the basis that  a) brakes  and  b) not falling off my bike in the middle of nowhere  beats the possibility of using Brompton tactics to weasel my way onto the replacement bus from Kirkby Stephen on Saturday.  The freezing tailwind can blow me to Penrith.  Hopefully.

Main question is lurgy.  Lungs are working, which is the important thing, but my eyes and throat are sore, and I'm still feeling low-level urgh.  If I get to Mordor Central and feel like death, I won't be getting on the train.

« Reply #118 on: 13 December, 2018, 10:44:28 pm »

Ah, nice and flat then.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #119 on: 13 December, 2018, 11:45:59 pm »

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #120 on: 14 December, 2018, 05:56:48 am »
Have fun everyone!

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #121 on: 14 December, 2018, 09:36:18 am »
Well I'm bailing, because of the weather and the other plans I have. I would be driving in the mist of the worst of that incoming weather front, in high and exposed places in a van without winter tires.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #122 on: 14 December, 2018, 09:37:47 am »
I'm not bailing! I'm on one of Mr Branson's finest trains.

« Reply #123 on: 14 December, 2018, 09:41:16 am »
I'm not bailing! I'm on one of Mr Branson's finest trains.

Ditto!

« Reply #124 on: 14 December, 2018, 09:43:53 am »

Ah, nice and flat then.

I think the 40t sprocket might see some use later...