Author Topic: RIP Aretha Franklin  (Read 3012 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: RIP Aretha Franklin
« Reply #1 on: 16 August, 2018, 03:35:35 pm »
Didn't much like her style of music but she had a fantastic voice and great public stature.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #2 on: 16 August, 2018, 03:39:40 pm »
Effortlessly amazing voice. 

I'm not sure whether she had the best ever female voice or not ......but I'm struggling to think of a better one.

She sang at the funerals of both Martin Luther King and Rosa Parks.  That's historic stuff.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #3 on: 16 August, 2018, 04:35:10 pm »

I'm not sure whether she had the best ever female voice or not ......but I'm struggling to think of a better one.

She sang at the funerals of both Martin Luther King and Rosa Parks.  That's historic stuff.

There is no doubt that as well as a musical icon she is a definitive part of “Black history” in the US

On the phone at present, so will edit this later to correct the Youtube link

There is some discussion over this, but the backing group is ‘interesting’

https://youtu.be/Ng3JFevjEa4

« Reply #4 on: 16 August, 2018, 04:52:22 pm »
I loved the arrangements of those earlier recordings with all the backing vocals and orchestral parts. Such a unique sound.
Slightly different, and a song I really rather liked, rather poignantly, was a duet with another recently departed singer, George Michael - 'I knew You were Waiting for Me' - great track that, they work so well together.
Garry Broad

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5 on: 16 August, 2018, 05:11:37 pm »

Karen Carpenter?  I'll remember Aretha for The Blues Brothers.  RIP.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #6 on: 16 August, 2018, 05:36:17 pm »
I like the stuff she did at Muscle Shoals.

« Reply #7 on: 16 August, 2018, 07:29:21 pm »
RESpecT In PEACE, Aretha - and thank you.

« Reply #8 on: 17 August, 2018, 10:39:12 am »
Personally I think that arguing whether her voice was "the best" (or not) is an irrelevance.

Her style is different to other female singers, some are softer, more melodic, others have a harsh "rock sound", and others are operatic.

As Carole King said herself when she recorded "Natural woman"..... it was never going to be a comparison to the power and feeling of Aretha's version, but it is in itself a brilliant track

Perhaps it is better to say that her voice was iconic, powerful, recognisable and that she was able to move audiences with it

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #9 on: 17 August, 2018, 11:20:06 am »
This ^^^^.  If you're not a fan of her style of music...
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #10 on: 17 August, 2018, 11:33:33 am »

Karen Carpenter?  I'll remember Aretha for The Blues Brothers.  RIP.
Ella Fitzgerald, Karen Carpenter also had voices of angels.

« Reply #12 on: 17 August, 2018, 09:43:31 pm »
Overrated, spent years with a record company trying "develop" her career, tried jazz, show tunes, standards etc, then got lucky with some good songs and had to go down South to some hicksville to record them. Even then she had to leave early and finish the recordings in New York.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #13 on: 18 August, 2018, 10:20:52 pm »
Overrated, spent years with a record company trying "develop" her career, tried jazz, show tunes, standards etc, then got lucky with some good songs and had to go down South to some hicksville to record them. Even then she had to leave early and finish the recordings in New York.

When's your next gig, so we can compare...?
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #14 on: 18 August, 2018, 10:48:27 pm »

When's your next gig, so we can compare...?
Except hubner didn't compare themselves to Aretha Franklin, just that she was overrated.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #15 on: 19 August, 2018, 09:11:43 am »
People in the music business, who matter and know talent, think differently to you.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #16 on: 19 August, 2018, 12:07:27 pm »
Some of the finest recorded music of the 60's and 70's came out of that particular hicksville.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

« Reply #17 on: 19 August, 2018, 02:11:50 pm »
There is so much wrong with this short post that I won't bother with corrections. Go read 'Nowhere To Run' by Gerri Hirshey, or Peter Guralnick's 'Sweet Soul Music' if you're really interested. I'm glad I don't have your ears.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #18 on: 19 August, 2018, 08:56:33 pm »
People in the music business, who matter and know talent, think differently to you.

People in the music business who know where the money lies...  :P

This is not a comment on the qualities of Aretha Franklin, but on treating music as a business.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #19 on: 24 August, 2018, 11:34:53 am »
This is off topic with regards to Aretha Franklin, but it does cover the aspect of being "the greatest"

There is a YouTube channel "Kids React" where US kids are presented with something and react.

There are these who would suggest that Iron Maiden would be one of the "Great" rock bands.....

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiYpDdsK4BU&amp;frags=pl%2Cwn" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiYpDdsK4BU&amp;frags=pl%2Cwn</a>