Author Topic: Brooks Sadle Cover  (Read 1778 times)

Brooks Sadle Cover
« on: 21 August, 2018, 09:23:32 pm »
Hi,

I've recently started using a Brooks B17 for the first time, and I'm pleasantly surprised at how comfortable I am.   So, I'm definitely going to stick with it.  I know that I need to keep it dry however, so I'm thinking of getting the Brooks saddle cover.

If anyone has one of these covers... can you tell me whether they are suitable for riding on or only for covering the seat whilst not riding.   Currently I'm taking a Sainsbury's bag out with me, but haven't had to try it when riding yet!  ;D   Without a cover, I think the front of the nose and the rear edge would be exposed to rain, so I'd like to protect the saddle if possible.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Richard

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Brooks Sadle Cover
« Reply #1 on: 21 August, 2018, 09:36:33 pm »
You can ride with the cover on but it can mean sitting on wrinkles unless you're careful and the surface is a little less slick. It takes a real soaking rain for your body to not shelter the saddle but I have a big bum. Proofide is a good thing beforehand. I use a shopping bag most of the time, stored between the saddle rails.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
« Reply #2 on: 21 August, 2018, 10:09:16 pm »
As little and big says, if you're on the Brooks, it would take a deluge to get it wet. The underside ( esp. w/o mudguards) is more prone, but a good proofiding befoe will protect it. (Apply that after a ride, it really helps that the saddle is thoroughly warm to get the stuff to go in).

I use the cover if it's really chucking it down, and then the compulsory carrier bag when I leave it. The cover isn't lovely to ride on.
Doubt is is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

« Reply #3 on: 22 August, 2018, 12:25:28 am »
I'd cover my Brooks if I ever left it out in the rain for a prolonged period (more than an hour or so), either with a Brooks saddle cover or a plastic bag. Otherwise I don't bother covering it when riding, it won't get that wet. I'd never ride with the cover on, not necessary and not comfortable.

Proofide is there to replace the oils that get leeched out when the saddle gets excessively wet (or frequently gets damp). If you look after the saddle it will require very little Proofide. It's very easy to over apply Proofide and you're left with a saddle that will quickly sag and require far too frequent tightening of the nose bolt at which point it is close to being ruined.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 22 August, 2018, 12:37:25 am »
I reckon plastic bag on a parked saddle screams "Brooks!".  If you really want to theft-proof it, try one of those poorly-fitting padded saddle covers that non-cyclists use in the vague hope it'll stop their arse hurting.  Probably in combination with some sort of plastic, because I'm sure they're basically sponges.

« Reply #5 on: 22 August, 2018, 08:39:43 am »
Brooks saddle covers are not particularly waterproof unfortunately.
They aren't seam sealed.
Mine let water through to the saddle soon after I bought it, I now use a shower cap, sometimes with the Brooks cover over the top of it.
https://www.superdrug.com/Superdrug/Superdrug-Bathroom-Accessories-Shower-Cap-x3/p/418730

« Reply #6 on: 22 August, 2018, 09:34:45 pm »
My saddle cover consists of a freebee shower cap nicked from the last hotel I stayed at. Ideal for when leaving the bike in the rain - I don't ride with it.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #7 on: 22 August, 2018, 09:46:42 pm »
Have several Brooks covers but preference would be shower caps as easier to put on and remove and are totally waterproof.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: 23 August, 2018, 09:40:00 am »
There are two different saddle covers that Brooks have sold over the years. One is showerproof, the other is sold as being waterproof.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #9 on: 24 August, 2018, 08:40:35 pm »
I never bothered covering my B17, it got left outside in the rain when camping, stayed on the bike when the bike was on the roof or back of the car when it was pelted with 70mph rain. I once had a tin Profide, used it regularly, applying it every now and again (read years/when I remembered) until it ran out and never replaced it.

My B17 lasted 24 years until one of the steels rails broke.