Author Topic: The War Game  (Read 1122 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
The War Game
« on: 14 September, 2018, 04:37:55 pm »
Wandering through the BBC Iplayer site, I notice that The War Game is on it, available for 10 months.

The controversial drama-documentary depicts the consequences of a nuclear attack on Britain. The terrible aftermath of a nuclear bomb in Kent is portrayed in the style of a news programme.

Written and directed by Peter Watkins, The War Game won the Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature in 1966, even though the BBC decided not to show it when it was made as "the effect of the film has been judged by the BBC to be too horrifying for the medium of broadcasting." The film was finally televised on 31 July 1985
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: The War Game
« Reply #1 on: 14 September, 2018, 04:58:09 pm »
IIRC it was screened in the same week as 'Threads', part of a themed presentation on BBC2. Not long after Edge of Darkness too.

There was some idea at the time a nuclear conflict might be survivable. Yeah...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2 on: 14 September, 2018, 05:23:23 pm »
The BBC didn't broadcast it, but it went round the cinemas in '67 or '68. I saw it at the Cameo in Edinburgh, came out seething with adrenalin.  Saw it again recently on YouTube & it seemed rather quaint, mostly because of the clipped Pathé-News-style narration. It had the desired effect at the time, though.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #3 on: 14 September, 2018, 05:40:33 pm »
The BBC didn't broadcast it, but it went round the cinemas in '67 or '68. I saw it at the Cameo in Edinburgh, came out seething with adrenalin.  Saw it again recently on YouTube & it seemed rather quaint, mostly because of the clipped Pathé-News-style narration. It had the desired effect at the time, though.
I think they didn't broadcast it when it was originally made in 1966, but did later.

The scene with the weddding rings is harrowing.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)