Author Topic: Hook of Holland - Eindhoven  (Read 4748 times)

Hook of Holland - Eindhoven
« on: 20 September, 2018, 09:37:41 am »
Having missed out on ACME's Dutch excursions last week I find myself accompanying 2 highly unorganised friends on a last-minute excursion to Eindhoven. Why Eindhoven rather than somewhere else I have no idea, but we have accomodation booked, so Eindhoven it is.

We'll take the Harwich-Hook of Holland ferry on Friday night, have a leisurely day cycling to Eindhoven on the Saturday, back to Hook of Holland on Sunday for the overnight ferry back on Sunday night.

Any tips on the route to/from Eindhoven? Anything in particular we should avoid? Any recommendations for a pleasant long lunch? There look to be a couple of national parks (Park De Biesbosch, Park De Loonse en Drunense Duinen) that we could route to/through.
Turn, turn, turn again
Turn, turn to the rain
And the wind

Re: Hook of Holland - Eindhoven
« Reply #1 on: 20 September, 2018, 10:58:58 am »
You could use parts of the 'Halve Zolentocht' BRM
The route is still available as a download on the Randonneurs NL pages: https://www.randonneurs.nl/event/brm-200-merselo-nl-3/

« Reply #2 on: 20 September, 2018, 11:05:12 am »
Thanks - the southern leg of that looks useful. Have you ridden it?
Turn, turn, turn again
Turn, turn to the rain
And the wind

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3 on: 20 September, 2018, 07:37:36 pm »
You could call into the Best McDonalds on the way  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #4 on: 20 September, 2018, 10:14:22 pm »
Thanks - the southern leg of that looks useful. Have you ridden it?

Yes, last year as the event was on: https://fotoalbum.dds.nl/ivo_m/brm200merselo2017

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 21 September, 2018, 12:23:07 am »
You could call into the Best McDonalds on the way  :thumbsup:

The clue isn't even close to the name.  While its 1950s Americana theme seems entirely appropriate for a branch of The Scottish Restaurant, and it's certainly one of the less dingy examples of the species, that doesn't really prepare you for what's lurking outside...

(click to show/hide)

« Reply #6 on: 21 September, 2018, 01:55:42 am »
Any tips on the route to/from Eindhoven? Anything in particular we should avoid? Any recommendations for a pleasant long lunch? There look to be a couple of national parks (Park De Biesbosch, Park De Loonse en Drunense Duinen) that we could route to/through.
The fietsersbond routeplanner works quite well for these sort of rides. As it allows you to add begin and end, plus the points/streets in between you'd like to see.

It does not show the numbers of the fietsknooppunten system automatically though, that is an option that needs to be switched on by the user.

« Reply #7 on: 21 September, 2018, 08:31:30 am »
Thanks all for the responses. The routeplanner looks v useful.

Where exactly is the Best MacDonalds? Just so I can route us somewhere decent and avoid temptation...
Turn, turn, turn again
Turn, turn to the rain
And the wind

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #8 on: 21 September, 2018, 08:50:25 am »
Thanks all for the responses. The routeplanner looks v useful.

Where exactly is the Best MacDonalds? Just so I can route us somewhere decent and avoid temptation...

It's just to the North of Eindhoven, in Best.

https://goo.gl/maps/jLJvUGex5uQ2
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #9 on: 21 September, 2018, 09:08:25 am »
Bedankt...
Turn, turn, turn again
Turn, turn to the rain
And the wind

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #10 on: 21 September, 2018, 09:54:08 am »
Bedankt...

Paging the Duke for a literal translation....
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #11 on: 21 September, 2018, 10:13:07 am »
Thanks

Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #12 on: 27 September, 2018, 03:39:07 pm »
We visited that McDonalds last summer. There is a large Decathlon just to the south if you need anything. Also I'd recommend visting the Hovering. A lovely cycling overpass/floating roundabout.

https://youtu.be/LwyV9o5ILF0

On the way I'd recomend Kinderdijk. Think Picture Squew (postcard) windmills and you have it in one. It is where the Dutch pumped the water out of Holland.

@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

« Reply #13 on: 27 September, 2018, 08:59:05 pm »
Super, thanks.
Turn, turn, turn again
Turn, turn to the rain
And the wind

« Reply #14 on: 30 September, 2018, 09:07:19 am »
Not sure if you've already been and gone.

I took a direct route from Eindhoven to Hook a couple of years ago.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/14606995

Crossing the waterways was great. Little ferry rides and bike tunnels. The last bit to the ferry was an industrial wasteland.

« Reply #15 on: 01 October, 2018, 07:18:31 pm »
Been and now back, but thanks! Some of that route looks familiar.
Turn, turn, turn again
Turn, turn to the rain
And the wind

« Reply #16 on: 20 October, 2018, 05:55:28 pm »
HI there,

I'm doing the same trip next week.  I arrive in the Hoek on Wednesday morning.  I have a few questions:
1). Is there anywhere relatively close to the terminal where I can leave my rucksack?  I am cycling back from Eindhoven on Thursday and want to leave my laptop, and change of clothes for my return journey?
2).  I want to maintain an average speed of 16.5 mph.  Assuming I can maintain this pace is it possible or does general cycle traffic, lights etc mean this isn't possible?
3).  Where there any cycle shops on route?
4)  On the way back I will be cutting it fine.  Is the check in process at the Hoek fairly staright forward?  I am currently booked on the evening crossing but will try and make the 14:15 crossing which means I need to check in by 13:30.  Will getting there by 13:00 be sufficient time?

Given you are not long back any other information of note welcome,

Thanks in advance,
Antony

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #17 on: 20 October, 2018, 09:16:42 pm »
HI there,

I'm doing the same trip next week.  I arrive in the Hoek on Wednesday morning.  I have a few questions:
1). Is there anywhere relatively close to the terminal where I can leave my rucksack?  I am cycling back from Eindhoven on Thursday and want to leave my laptop, and change of clothes for my return journey?
2).  I want to maintain an average speed of 16.5 mph.  Assuming I can maintain this pace is it possible or does general cycle traffic, lights etc mean this isn't possible?
3).  Where there any cycle shops on route?
4)  On the way back I will be cutting it fine.  Is the check in process at the Hoek fairly staright forward?  I am currently booked on the evening crossing but will try and make the 14:15 crossing which means I need to check in by 13:30.  Will getting there by 13:00 be sufficient time?

Given you are not long back any other information of note welcome,

Thanks in advance,
Antony
On point 4, it should be no bother. If you're checked in by that time, that's all you need. Did Eindhoven-Hook myself last year- rather slower than you intend to travel, made the car lanes at 8.40pm (night sailing). I'd cut it a bit fine for my liking, but no issues with check-in or boarding. Bear in mind, though, for the night sailing, you need to have a cabin reservation- no idea if you can get a refund for that should you make the daytime one.

« Reply #18 on: 21 October, 2018, 10:09:54 am »
Thanks for the insight.  Gives me much more comfort.  Will check with Stella line now. 

« Reply #19 on: 21 October, 2018, 10:15:17 am »
4)
My experience a few weeks ago:
* Wait for boarding to start
* Proceed to first booth - get ticket
* Proceed to second booth - present passport
* Proceed towards ferry 
* Hang around in arbitrary holding area with other cyclists and motorcyclists, as directed
* Await permission to board ferry, board ferry

There's nothing inherently time-consuming in the check-in process, so I guess you just want to make sure you get there before check-in closes. Things will be a lot easier if you're not trying to manoeuvre a cycle through a deck that's full of vehicles and people making their way to the stairwells.

3)
If you overlay your route onto an Open Cycle Map background, you can check for cycle shops (yellow markers)

2)
If you overlay your route onto something that does a street view - Google or whatever - you can check to see what infrastructure is present at different points. I would imagine that, even if possible, 16.5 mph would be inappropriate for the bounded space of urban cycle paths shared with other users. If your route takes you along open roads (so probably more rural areas), or you've a long, straight run on a less busy path alongside a motorway or estuary you'll be more likely to be able to maintain your top speed.

http://www.strava.com/activities/1848478817 <<< I cruised along with this club ride (see photos) in the dunes for a bit and it seems they managed an average speed of about what you're aiming for. So maybe, with some careful route planning and a favourable wind direction...

« Reply #20 on: 21 October, 2018, 10:45:14 am »
Nikki,
Mega helpful!  Thanks for the taking the effort to reply.
Antony

« Reply #21 on: 21 October, 2018, 06:02:05 pm »
sorry me again,

I've can't for the life of me figure out how to search for cycle shops on open cycle map.

Been trying for the last half hour.

Antony 

« Reply #22 on: 21 October, 2018, 07:36:21 pm »
https://www.opencyclemap.org

Zoom in: once the zoom slider's in the top quarter of the scale, they'll show up automatically.

« Reply #23 on: 21 October, 2018, 07:45:26 pm »
If you're in Eindhoven, don't forget to pop in at the Velosoof café (1km from the railway station). It's worth it.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #24 on: 21 October, 2018, 07:57:50 pm »
sorry me again,

I've can't for the life of me figure out how to search for cycle shops on open cycle map.

Been trying for the last half hour.

Antony

If you have an android phone, install "OSMand"

you can then do PoI overlay, and just overlay the bike shop layer, this will show them at a reasonable zoom level.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/