Author Topic: Tricky clothing problem  (Read 1409 times)

Tricky clothing problem
« on: 23 September, 2018, 08:35:06 pm »
Mrs DF is off to India soon for a charity bike ride, at something like the 11th hour the organisers have bowled us a googly.

They have just announced that for reasons of cultural conservatism in remote areas of the country, Ladies wearing Lycra shorts might be viewed as provocative, apparently the knees need to be covered. So we are trying to identify leg wear options that cover up but won’t result in her cooking (which excludes normal 3/4 length tights) - any suggestions?

My immediate thought was a normal pair of padded shorts with loose fitting cotton track pants?

Thanks in advance.

A

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Tricky clothing problem
« Reply #1 on: 23 September, 2018, 08:45:25 pm »
Tazer?  Pepper spray?  Clobber them with the Zefal?  I dunno, there must be a thread about fending off rabid farm dogs that can be drawn on for inspiration.  She's riding a bike, not visiting a temple, FFS.   :demon:

(Personally, I wear lycra 3/4 in all conditions - I find the slight extra knee warmth is beneficial in spring/autumn and not a problem in summer, although I do tend to favour the thinner ones (which is currently 2017 Gore rather than 2016 Pearl Izumi, but designs change every year) in really hot conditions.  I can't imagine that anything worn *over* regular lycra shorts is going to be cooler than lycra 3/4s, unless it's a skirt maybe.)

« Reply #2 on: 23 September, 2018, 08:52:42 pm »
I’d be looking for light fabric as much as loose fitting (give or take stuff that flaps into moving parts) following what people who live there wear.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3 on: 23 September, 2018, 09:37:34 pm »
Lycra of any length might be deemed unacceptable, due to its clingy-to-the-behind nature. I reckon loose cotton trousers of the sort known in India as pajamas (not what we know as pyjamas, though it's the same word!) would be suitable. Or something along the lines of Humvee three-quarters. It does depend where though; big cities and villages will have different standards, as will different parts of the country. If she's going in October, it will still be quite hot but not massively. In November, it's not. In fact November early mornings can be rather chilly. Obviously again it depends on the region.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #4 on: 23 September, 2018, 09:45:44 pm »
We were given the same advice for a tour in the Indian Himalaya, no lycra for men or women.  Baggy touring shorts or 3/4's were the recommended wear, with leg warmers & overtrousers at altitude.

As regards visiting a temple, at the end of the trip we had a free day in Delhi.  The large Lithuanian chap I'd been sharing a tent with was refused entrance to a mosque as he was wearing baggy shorts.  They loaned him a wraparound skirt type thing to make him decent. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5 on: 23 September, 2018, 09:53:35 pm »
You could always ask eg here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/bangalore-bikers
Bearing in mind Bangalore is a cosmopolitan "metro" but they'll know people who know, etc.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #6 on: 24 September, 2018, 05:44:59 pm »
When we (myself and the missus) did some cycling in Bali (which is strongly Hindu), we wore cycling shorts underneath long-ish baggier shorts - not necessarily below the knee, though. Never had any problems with this, even in rural areas! Visiting temples was different, we wore wrap-around sarongs for that.
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
« Reply #7 on: 24 September, 2018, 06:02:17 pm »
I’d be looking for light fabric as much as loose fitting (give or take stuff that flaps into moving parts) following what people who live there wear.

I have a pair of M&S linen cropped trousers I got in a charity shop that work very well for this sort of thing.
Jennifer - Walker of hills

« Reply #8 on: 24 September, 2018, 06:16:37 pm »
As regards visiting a temple, at the end of the trip we had a free day in Delhi.  The large Lithuanian chap I'd been sharing a tent with was refused entrance to a mosque as he was wearing baggy shorts.  They loaned him a wraparound skirt type thing to make him decent.

In Georgia, at monasteries they lend brown wrap-around skirts to both men and women who are wearing short shorts or short skirts. Plus headscarves for women without their own head covering. I was absolutely fine in 3/4 lycra.  :P

In relation to the OP, the temp there was 36 degrees in the day, quite similar to Indian temperatures, but I ended up wearing 3/4s most of the time to give more protection from the sun. The difference in comfort between those and shorts was minimal at that temperature.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #9 on: 24 September, 2018, 08:07:12 pm »
I'd agree that summer-weight 3/4s shouldn't be too hot, and might aid sun protection.  The Audax India Facebook group has female cyclists in shorts and 3/4 length tights.