Author Topic: Functional Medicine  (Read 1284 times)

Functional Medicine
« on: 05 September, 2022, 07:45:03 pm »
Has anyone any experience, or opinions, regarding Functional Medicine please?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Functional Medicine
« Reply #1 on: 05 September, 2022, 07:51:36 pm »
Poorly defined woo.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 05 September, 2022, 08:03:46 pm »

"What do they call alternative medicine that works?"

"Medicine"

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3 on: 05 September, 2022, 08:13:07 pm »
I've never heard of it, but it's name is certainly all-encompassing.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4 on: 05 September, 2022, 09:47:14 pm »
I’ve heard of functional nutrition, which is just another way of saying food supplements. Another common buzzword for this kind of thing is nootropics. Sounds more scientifical, innit.

It’s all snake oil. Try eating proper food instead.

Functional medicine is a new one on me. Medicine is highly regulated in the UK, so nothing that isn’t actually medicine is allowed to be labelled medicine. Although I expect this could be about to change if Truss lasts more than five minutes in the job.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #5 on: 06 September, 2022, 12:24:48 am »
Functional medicine is a form of alternative medicine that encompasses a number of unproven and disproven methods and treatments.[1][2][3] Its proponents claim that it focuses on the "root causes" of diseases based on interactions between the environment and the gastrointestinal, endocrine, and immune systems to develop "individualized treatment plans."[4] It has been described as pseudoscience,[5] quackery,[6] and at its essence a rebranding of complementary and alternative medicine.[6]

In the United States, functional medicine practices have been ruled ineligible for course credits by the American Academy of Family Physicians because of concerns they may be harmful.[7][8]

Functional medicine was created by Jeffrey Bland.[9] Bland founded The Institute for Functional Medicine (IFM) in the early 1990s as part of one of his companies HealthComm.[10] IFM, which promotes functional medicine, became a registered non-profit in 2001.[11] Today Mark Hyman is one of the leading proponents.[9]

Read stuff.

Live nearby the people that promote this stuff.

They get ill.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #6 on: 06 September, 2022, 05:20:47 am »
One theory is that 80% is to do with lifestyle changes only 20% needs pills or medical intervention to deal with things.