Author Topic: New positive - no surprise for some maybe - David Rebellin  (Read 2175 times)

New positive - no surprise for some maybe - David Rebellin
« on: 29 April, 2009, 06:25:05 am »
From cyclingnews.com

www.cyclingnews.com - the world centre of cycling

Having read the books I have lately, I don't actually feel angry by this, more sad to be honest.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
Re: New positive - no surprise for some maybe - David Rebellin
« Reply #1 on: 29 April, 2009, 08:36:57 am »
As long as the rewards for cheating outweigh the penalties for being caught this will continue.

A life ban from all sports for anyone found using performance enhancing drugs is the only way forward.
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

ChrisO

« Reply #2 on: 29 April, 2009, 08:49:25 am »
As long as the rewards for cheating outweigh the penalties for being caught this will continue.

A life ban from all sports for anyone found using performance enhancing drugs is the only way forward.

Or completely legalising it.

Since putting people in prison doesn't stop them using drugs for fun why on earth would anyone think that banning them from sport will stop them using drugs to gain money and prestige.

Legalising it will make teams and doctors responsible for the administration of it. Try getting an insurance policy or professional liability indemnity based on the fact you're going to turn the blood of your key assets into jam.

Just as the criminalisation of street drugs enriches and fuels high levels of organised crime and vast sums of money but mainly affects the low-level user, the criminalisation of performance drugs allows teams and doctors to keep their hands officially clean while athletes run the risk of using them on a nudge and a wink.

BTW, Rebellin won Fleche-Wallone last week too.

« Reply #3 on: 29 April, 2009, 09:32:35 am »
Another Gerolsteiner to follow Kohl & Schumacher.  Indication of a systematic doping program or coincidence?
"What a long, strange trip it's been", Truckin'

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #4 on: 29 April, 2009, 09:48:36 am »
Another Gerolsteiner to follow Kohl & Schumacher.  Indication of a systematic doping program or coincidence?

I think that should be enough to suspend a managers license for a few years. Pour encourager les autres.

One rider would be a maverick. Two may conspire. Three is evidence of a system.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #5 on: 29 April, 2009, 11:14:29 am »
I agree.

last year I was surprised that Gerolsteiner couldn't find another sponsor(s), seemed a good set up, well organised etc etc.  But maybe the "word on the street" was damning? Find it hard to believe that folks on the inside of cycling don't have a pretty good clue who is being naughty

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #6 on: 29 April, 2009, 01:53:53 pm »
As Jacques Anquitel said

"on ne fait pas dauphiné Bordeaux-Paris en marchant à l'eau claire"

Just because they were riding for a spring water team doesn't mean they were on spring water !

« Reply #7 on: 29 April, 2009, 04:18:47 pm »
 ;D

Now Schumacher identified as the second cyclist +ve - don't understand why he was even at the Olympics after his TdF experience?

« Reply #8 on: 29 April, 2009, 07:17:12 pm »
I agree.

last year I was surprised that Gerolsteiner couldn't find another sponsor(s), seemed a good set up, well organised etc etc.  But maybe the "word on the street" was damning? Find it hard to believe that folks on the inside of cycling don't have a pretty good clue who is being naughty

I think they do but would not dare voice it (commentators etc) for fear of law suit.  I often hear the phrase so and so is "flying" today and I wonder if that is their way of saying what is obviously abnormal.  Another key from Kimmage's book was how certain riders could climb fast yet still have their mouth closed, i.e. breathing nasaly.  This is something I plan to watch for this year.

fuzzy

« Reply #9 on: 30 April, 2009, 05:48:06 pm »
Nasal breathing is what I was taught as a more effective rhythm when exercising- in through the nose and out through the mouth. Even when needing to suck huge lungfuls of air, I find it more comfortable to breath that way. In and out through the mouth makes my chest hurt. Mind you, I do have an advantage in the in therough the nose stakes- my nose is bigger than 3 average noses put together ;D

« Reply #10 on: 30 April, 2009, 06:01:53 pm »
;D

Now Schumacher identified as the second cyclist +ve - don't understand why he was even at the Olympics after his TdF experience?

I seem to recall that the Olympics happened before his TdF positive test was announced in October. Can't understand why some test results come back so quickly, and others take so long.