Author Topic: Which camera have you taken to concert...  (Read 1882 times)

Which camera have you taken to concert...
« on: 06 July, 2009, 09:55:19 am »
I'm going to Wembley in August, and just wondering what people have used before?  I guess some venues might not allow bigger cameras.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Rob S

Re: Which camera have you taken to concert...
« Reply #1 on: 06 July, 2009, 12:06:17 pm »
Where will you be sat?

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #2 on: 06 July, 2009, 01:46:38 pm »
I took my D80 to George Melly's last concert. Nobody objected.

I can't remember what settings I used - hand held, just kept the flash off, high ASA and regarded anything half decent as a bonus (and enjoyed the music from GM and the others that night)
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3 on: 06 July, 2009, 01:55:54 pm »
I'd think that a wide aperture lens would be a great help. I'd probably be happier with my 85mm f1.8 than my 18-200mm f3.5 - 5.6

It depends on where you are.

Having said that you should be exposing for the well lit parts of the stage, not an average. It is quite likely that there will be enough  light at a big event to take a not so fast lens along. I'd either spot meter, or take a few test ones.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #4 on: 06 July, 2009, 07:31:47 pm »
We'll be standing (U2 360 + Glasvegas) & planning to get there about 11am (not my idea) to get a good spot at the front.  I was thinking of taking the LX3.

« Reply #5 on: 06 July, 2009, 07:46:26 pm »
LX3 high ISO is better than the LX2 but still not great... and there's no zoom to boast about either.  What're the options?

LEE

« Reply #6 on: 06 July, 2009, 07:56:06 pm »
I took my D80 to George Melly's last concert. Nobody objected.

Nobody objected to George Melly?  I find that hard to believe.

« Reply #7 on: 06 July, 2009, 09:05:15 pm »
FZ5 36-432mm, or SLR kit.  The FZ5 has reach, but fairly poor low ISO perf & really I'd prefer to get some decent w a shots of the stage etc...perhaps rather than look up Bono's nose.  ;)  SLR too heavy/bulky.  :-\

Rob S

« Reply #8 on: 06 July, 2009, 09:18:41 pm »
The problem with the LX3 will be the lack of zoom....cropping the pic to make Mr Bono the subject of the pic will highlight the noise.....but I'd be surprised if you were allowed in Wembley with a dSLR.

As has been mentioned...use spot metering. I imagine U2 will be well lit so low shutter speeds won't be so much of a problem. I'd shoot at various settings to see what comes out.

Here's a fullsize un tampered with shot I took with my LX3 at a gig of my favourite songstress at the ULU....maximum zoom (60mm!! ;D) f2.8, ISO 400, 1/40 sec....it looks reasonable when viewed as a whole fullscreen but doesn't really stand up to viewing at 1:1 thanks to the noise as she's such a small part of the pic.....but hey it's a great memento from an enjoyable gig...which is what I was after.

Free Image Hosting by ImageBam.com

« Reply #9 on: 06 July, 2009, 09:40:53 pm »
SLR and a medium length 2.8 or better would get my vote, crammed into a backpack with a jumper or two. I've got a canon 100 2.8 if you want to borrow..

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #10 on: 07 July, 2009, 12:00:05 am »
If you are at the front, take a waterproof camera.
It is simpler than it looks.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #11 on: 07 July, 2009, 06:49:18 am »
Especially if you're watching The Macc Lads or The Buzzcocks  8)
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #12 on: 07 July, 2009, 09:42:03 am »
 ;)  No problem there...  I have rare video footage taken with my LX3 wearing it's custom water gear - lens adaptor + filter, cut away placky bag/elastic band, from the Legoland Pirate Falls log flume, as we plunged into the water.   :)