Author Topic: RIP Vangelis  (Read 1526 times)

Re: RIP Vangelis
« Reply #1 on: 19 May, 2022, 07:41:20 pm »
First Harambe, now this  :o

« Reply #2 on: 19 May, 2022, 07:46:59 pm »
Wow.
The soundtrack to Blade Runner is epic.
RIP

« Reply #3 on: 19 May, 2022, 07:50:09 pm »
Wow.
RIP

Actually, that is the first thing that came to my mind. It's beautiful music. Almost ethereal in parts

« Reply #4 on: 19 May, 2022, 07:55:51 pm »
His album 'Albedo 0.39' is an equally good hit.

« Reply #6 on: 19 May, 2022, 10:48:39 pm »
His album 'Albedo 0.39' is an equally good hit.

I remember when Albedo was released . I was in 6th form and a friend brought it into our common room with a reverence that I had never seen before. He placed it on the turntable as if placing cut glass and demanded silence as he put stylus to vinyl. Memorable music .Surreal moment.

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass
« Reply #7 on: 19 May, 2022, 11:51:31 pm »
he was legendary; still listen to all his albums, absolutely timeless nothing has ever come close

1492 is my favourite (always take the CD sailing in his native Greece) but there are so many others

Thanks V  :thumbsup:

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #8 on: 20 May, 2022, 12:21:23 am »
I first heard him on some Radio Four nod to ‘popular’ music, hosted by a venerated music critic. It was bits of ‘Heaven and Hell’, and I had to find out more.
It is simpler than it looks.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #9 on: 20 May, 2022, 07:08:47 am »
I first heard him on some Radio Four nod to ‘popular’ music, hosted by a venerated music critic. It was bits of ‘Heaven and Hell’, and I had to find out more.

Derek Jewell?  He had a regular slot on which he played "interesting" new records, usually by prog rockers.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10 on: 20 May, 2022, 07:18:12 am »
Good stuff the man turned out. RIP (or not, if you don't feel like it).
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #11 on: 20 May, 2022, 08:09:26 am »

Derek Jewell?  He had a regular slot on which he played "interesting" new records, usually by prog rockers.

Thats the one!
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #12 on: 20 May, 2022, 08:18:22 am »
I've always loved a bit of Aphrodite's Child as well:

https://youtu.be/QVExlaxaweo
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #13 on: 20 May, 2022, 05:42:09 pm »
Wow.
RIP

Actually, that is the first thing that came to my mind. It's beautiful music. Almost ethereal in parts
Theo Parish does a very good cover version of Vangelis'  Memories of Green from the film, under the title of Solitary Flight. (You need to give it until 1:45 before it becomes obvious what you are listening to).
Actually, I've just listened to both back to back and the Vangelis original knocks spots off the Theo Parish cover version.

« Reply #14 on: 20 May, 2022, 07:49:03 pm »
Wow.
RIP

It's worth seeing if you can find a copy of the Esper Edition of the soundtrack.
It's basically the complete soundtrack, background music, everything, really well mastered and mixed. It was a very limited edition (10 cd) fan bootleg, but is available on soundcloud etc.

http://www.vangelisrarities.com/produit/blade-runner-esper-edition/

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #15 on: 20 May, 2022, 08:06:39 pm »
Wiv da vangels now.

By coincidence, I heard Jon and Vangelis on the radio a couple of days ago, for the first time in decades.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass
« Reply #16 on: 23 May, 2022, 11:05:00 pm »
he did soundtracks best;

just watched The Bounty (1984) which is a great film on its own but V did the whole score. Only a couple of tracks available (on the highly recommended Themes CD) he captured the seemingly doomed theme so well