Author Topic: What books are we reading at the moment ?  (Read 846281 times)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #5225 on: 01 February, 2018, 10:22:59 am »
...and achieves the considerable feat of making Ayn Rand seem almost interesting

Not a Rush fan either, then?
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #5226 on: 01 February, 2018, 02:04:04 pm »
'The Cackle of Cthulhu'

"Elder Gods worship for the non-inbred". And Elvis.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5227 on: 01 February, 2018, 02:31:30 pm »
After we read "La Trace de Cthulu", Cthulu became a household word chezz nouze for a certain substance. "There's still a trace of cthulu there, get another tissue".
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #5228 on: 01 February, 2018, 04:49:51 pm »
The Coldest War by Ian Tregillis,* being the second vol. of the trilogy† begun with Bitter Seeds.  The boy‡ can write and his characters are excellent, but his command of 1940s English English is poor, he being from Over There.  One does not view Buckingham across Green Park, nor does one turn onto Shaftesbury. Nor did one turn onto in 1944, one turned on to. Small things and ignorable enough - you build a sort of mental callus over your critical blisters - that don't stop the books being very enjoyable. Alas, I'll have finished them all by Monday.

*  he of the Clakkers
† only they call it a triptych; it's, like, posher. Ask Mr. Bell.
‡ age 44 or thereabouts

I read those a while back,  well written but not the most cheerful of books!   Yes, he doesn't get the language quite right....
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #5229 on: 01 February, 2018, 05:57:33 pm »
I remember reading a horror story set somewhere on the Murcan frontier, before the Civil War, in which a character's response to being offered a hot drink is "I'm good, thanks"

Go and learn some period language!
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #5230 on: 01 February, 2018, 08:28:25 pm »
I enjoyed (IYSWIM) the Tregillis, but also found the various slips grated; surely it's not impossible for the publisher to find a UK copyeditor? I've found the same in other US-authored UK-set novels; just because you're an Anglophile doesn't mean you're going to be able to get it right (though I suppose the same is true of UK authors setting their stories in the US...)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5231 on: 02 February, 2018, 07:07:33 am »
Back to Robert Heinlein for me - Starship Troopers, very different to the film

I don't want to spoil it for you, but it's shit that been blasted by a giant shittification ray and then dropped in to a shit compactor and compressed with more shit until it's the density of a neutron star made out of pure shit.

So not his best output then?

It's the only one I've read, but I'm not about to try another. Putting aside the offputting fascistic militarism (with none of the tongue-in-cheek irony of the movie) that is expounded over many, many dull pages and achieves the considerable feat of making Ayn Rand seem almost interesting, it's just dull. Endless pages detail the minutia of military bureaucracy and ranks. And frankly, the protagonist is dull. He's the sort of person you'd climb out of the toilet window to avoid talking to at a party. A party on the top floor of a tower block.

Still, finally at the end (where the finallys usually do happen), there's an actual encounter with the enemy (the only encounter, iirc). Could there really be some excitement?

No.  Most, most definitely no.

Unless you're excited, of course, by a couple of the pages detailing troop disposition and patrol patterns. Then they caught an alien and went home for tea and scones or somesuch. The end.

The worst 99p I've ever spent.

Having persevered so far I'd agree with you.

I've read several of his that were much better, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is much better, for example.

I'm seeing the current example as an anti commie tirade of the time. We can't trust people with voting who aren't indoctrinated to do it the right way etc. I wonder whether it was entirely intended as tongue in checks but is either too subtle at it, or missed it entirely and ends sledgehammerring it into you until your brain is numb
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5232 on: 02 February, 2018, 08:50:32 am »
I remember reading a horror story set somewhere on the Murcan frontier, before the Civil War, in which a character's response to being offered a hot drink is "I'm good, thanks"

Go and learn some period language!

My favourite was the TV Cesare Borgia hollering "medic!"

Maybe he meant Medici.

ian

« Reply #5233 on: 02 February, 2018, 10:10:37 am »
I'm seeing the current example as an anti commie tirade of the time. We can't trust people with voting who aren't indoctrinated to do it the right way etc. I wonder whether it was entirely intended as tongue in checks but is either too subtle at it, or missed it entirely and ends sledgehammerring it into you until your brain is numb

I did persevere in the hope there would be a twist where the protagonist might come to question his beliefs, but like you say it mostly got worse, so I think it was it was rather than a clever subversion.

But mostly it was immensely dull. I only got to the end because it was short and it's not actually badly written.

« Reply #5234 on: 02 February, 2018, 01:22:12 pm »
Re-reading Ursula le Guin's "The Dispossessed" and reading for the first time "The Last Englishman" a biography of Arthur Ransome. The latter is quite interesting but I've only just got to the really interesting bit (the Russian Revolution).

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5235 on: 05 February, 2018, 11:13:43 am »
I enjoyed (IYSWIM) the Tregillis, but also found the various slips grated; surely it's not impossible for the publisher to find a UK copyeditor? I've found the same in other US-authored UK-set novels; just because you're an Anglophile doesn't mean you're going to be able to get it right (though I suppose the same is true of UK authors setting their stories in the US...)

Had a right cackle last evening: his bloke went into a pub and drank several pints of bitters.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #5236 on: 05 February, 2018, 01:28:48 pm »
It's been out for a few years so many have already appeared in the three, but I've just finished a very enjoyable, light read, called One Man and His Bike by Mike Carter.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11745460-one-man-and-his-bike

In brief, Mr Carter has a good idea one morning on his commute to work in London, which is that it would be interesting to turn right at the northern end of Blackfriars Bridge, rather than continuing on to his office near Kings Cross, and to follow the river out to the sea and then continue around the entire coastline of Britain. A few weeks later, he does just that.   It takes him the best part of 6 months.

He's a travel journalist so has a good eye for small details, although reading between the lines I suspect that some of his "encounters" were pencilled in ahead of the trip.  That said, it's easy reading, in that Brysonesque way, and effectively balances: an account of the cycle ride itself, various encounters along the way, a bit of local history and personal observations.  A good one for a train journey.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5237 on: 11 February, 2018, 08:30:49 am »

I did persevere in the hope there would be a twist where the protagonist might come to question his beliefs, but like you say it mostly got worse, so I think it was it was rather than a clever subversion.

But mostly it was immensely dull. I only got to the end because it was short and it's not actually badly written.

Just got to the end of it, thank DOG,  at least it served the purpose of getting me to sleep
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5238 on: 11 February, 2018, 11:16:54 am »
Still Tregillising, now on Something More than Night. Angels channel Sam Spade to maintain the Mantle of Ontological Consistency and the 20th decimal place of the Fine Structure Constant.  A bit of a romp with nary a shadow of corkscrewed English English idiom.

« Reply #5239 on: 12 February, 2018, 01:14:59 pm »
Guilty pleasure; the first of the Clifton Chronicles by Perjuror-in-Chief, Lord Mr Archer.

Redlight

« Reply #5240 on: 12 February, 2018, 07:01:56 pm »
1971 - Never a dull moment by David Hepworth.

Took about two hours to read. I've done it so that you needn't bother. 

« Reply #5241 on: 12 February, 2018, 09:45:28 pm »
A History of the Arab Peoples -    Albert Hourani

Has good reviews and its huge. Just starting so no real verdict as yet.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5242 on: 13 February, 2018, 09:41:03 pm »
Just started the new James Oswald which, contrary to previous reports, is an Inspector McLean.  And, so far, rather DETHY :thumbsup:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #5243 on: 13 February, 2018, 09:47:25 pm »

He is sort of right though.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Redlight

« Reply #5244 on: 14 February, 2018, 02:51:20 pm »

He is sort of right though.

To a degree - I think picking one year (the one in which the author just happened to be 21) makes for a good pitch idea but I don't think there's enough substance for an entire book. I suspect that he was hoping to get a TV series off the back of it, but there can't be that much decent footage from that era that hasn't been seen over and over already.

« Reply #5245 on: 14 February, 2018, 07:27:20 pm »
Just started the new James Oswald which, contrary to previous reports, is an Inspector McLean.  And, so far, rather DETHY :thumbsup:

Oh good. It’s waiting in my library pile once I’ve finished Robicheaux.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #5246 on: 14 February, 2018, 09:48:05 pm »
Oh, jolly good! That awaits after the last in the Peter May Lewis trilogy.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #5247 on: 15 February, 2018, 11:59:56 am »
Mind you, you have to get a third of the way through before anything even vaguely supernatural starts happening.  There's more about his shiny new Alfa1 than there is about Things Which Man Was Not Meant To Know ;D

1: Old one still a pile of wreckage after the events of episode 7.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #5248 on: 16 February, 2018, 12:05:45 pm »
Alfanatics will be pleased to know that McLean's Giulia Quadrifoglio Verde makes it to the end unscathed.

Just started "Islander: A Journey Round Our Archipelago" by Patrick Barkham, in which the author visits British Isles of progressively smaller size and population until he reaches rural Essex.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #5249 on: 16 February, 2018, 12:48:04 pm »
A Song for Issy Bradley by Carys someone or other. Enjoying it. Mormon family in Southport, tragedy, faith, humour, grief, sin, guilt.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.