Author Topic: Car Power Inverter DC 12V - AC 220V Adapter  (Read 11160 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: Car Power Inverter DC 12V - AC 220V Adapter
« Reply #25 on: 25 April, 2017, 10:13:01 am »
Gas or a small genny will be the way to go. Turning your car into a very inefficient generator is not a lot of fun. 
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #26 on: 25 April, 2017, 03:48:43 pm »
Or a Kelly Kettle can be fun, if you have a suitable source of fuel.

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #27 on: 25 April, 2017, 04:04:00 pm »
This is a great post and I've had a couple of chuckles at some of the responses.

In case anyone still has the same question, I ran a couple of 'middle of nowhere' secret controls a couple of years ago. I took my 2 ring Calor stove, 2 kettles, and a couple of large jug flasks I found at a boot sale once. This did the trick in keeping hot water available for no matter how many riders stopped by, rubbed their eyes in disbelief, asked if I was really an AUK control, and then happily took a brew and food off me. On the first one I did, even the Organiser who was riding the event, did a double take! I'd only got rid of half the stuff he had given me, so I drove on and setup again at sunrise.  ;D

Dave C

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zodiac-Litre-Push-Button-Vacuum/dp/B002DQBSPU/ref=pd_cp_201_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=1A29MTNFGJRT4PZ2EV08
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

« Reply #28 on: 25 April, 2017, 09:10:30 pm »
This sounds like a job for the gas boiling rings sold very cheaply in France for doing home-made preserves (like meat, mushrooms/cèpes, jam etc). Big old things that hook up to 13kg gas bottles and sometimes mains gas as well. Some even have separated burner rings so you aren't obliged to have the whole beast running at one time. I would guess a "marmite" full od tea  would cover a lot of needs.

IIRC this is what the La Roche/Yonne club used for the soup on the 600 control we did jointly with them at Limoges.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #29 on: 26 April, 2017, 09:21:56 am »
Noting that it is some what too late for the OP...
The ultimate tool for a pop-up cafe would be a gas powered Burco urn.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #30 on: 26 April, 2017, 09:34:39 am »
To be fair, even at 12V, the OP's kettle will have boiled by now.

But his tea urn is only just lukewarm by now!

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #31 on: 27 April, 2017, 04:33:59 pm »
This sounds like a job for the gas boiling rings sold very cheaply in France for doing home-made preserves (like meat, mushrooms/cèpes, jam etc). Big old things that hook up to 13kg gas bottles and sometimes mains gas as well. Some even have separated burner rings so you aren't obliged to have the whole beast running at one time. I would guess a "marmite" full od tea  would cover a lot of needs.

IIRC this is what the La Roche/Yonne club used for the soup on the 600 control we did jointly with them at Limoges.

A paella ring - that is the thing. Will heat a gallon of water no problem. Cheap as chips too.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #32 on: 03 May, 2017, 08:27:12 pm »
Noting that it is some what too late for the OP...
The ultimate tool for a pop-up cafe would be a gas powered Burco urn.

What's a Burco Urn*

*He asks, expecting the inevitable.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #34 on: 03 May, 2017, 09:16:41 pm »
And mortal enemy of sound and lighting techs.  (The electric ones, anyway.  "That ring main was fine until someone plugged an extra 4.5kW load into it!")

« Reply #35 on: 13 December, 2017, 06:19:13 am »
I hardly use large appliances like kettle in car. I'm afraid larger device will cost more power and that will do damages to car battery. And it is not very safe like that. But when I go out for camping, some devices need to be charged with a power inverter, like coffee maker. So how to remove my concern? I 'm now just using a portable 300W power inverter to charge cellphones, tablets, etc.

« Reply #36 on: 13 December, 2017, 09:03:41 pm »
I hardly use large appliances like kettle in car. I'm afraid larger device will cost more power and that will do damages to car battery. And it is not very safe like that. But when I go out for camping, some devices need to be charged with a power inverter, like coffee maker. So how to remove my concern? I 'm now just using a portable 300W power inverter to charge cellphones, tablets, etc.

Electric coffee maker has no place in my camping. A filter holder is lighter and allows sharing hot water with other uses (eg washing-up, shaving etc). Even when camping heavy style with electric coolbox and lighting (and 70m of extension cable) I still don't use an electric coffee maker. When cycle-camping the looks I have had when offering "real" coffee to neighbours have to be seen to be believed (in a country where this is the norm for coffee).