Author Topic: Great Parking!  (Read 18762 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Great Parking!
« Reply #25 on: 08 February, 2012, 08:38:48 pm »
Cycle Surgery, FFS, Purley Way:

Did you spot it?

No.  Neither the fuck did I.  Bollocks was I going to buy anything in their shop.  Currys next door and John Lewis next along both have cycle racks.
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #26 on: 08 February, 2012, 08:39:34 pm »
Oh, and yes, I know it's a bit slack.  Perennial problem.
Getting there...

corshamjim

« Reply #27 on: 08 February, 2012, 09:01:38 pm »
My local Halfords doesn't seem to have any cycle parking outside anywhere so I always take my bike in and wheel it around with me when I'm there.  Nobody has ever batted an eyelid at me for doing so, so full marks to them for that.  As ever, the bikestation or whatever they call it is upstairs so I usually carry my bike up there and back down again.

Last time I was there I was just about to carry my bike down (having not bought anything) and the sales assistant rushes up and insists on carrying my bike down the stairs for me.  He tells me it would be so embarassing to Halfords if I had some accident or other it's company policy.  After at first feeling a bit patronised I thought what the heck - it saves me the trouble so good on them!  My Pashley isn't the lightest of bikes either.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #28 on: 08 February, 2012, 09:03:24 pm »
Actually, I was planning to take my bike inside to use the track pump, but it turns out that the bike section is upstairs, and the walking stuff is downstairs ???
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #29 on: 08 February, 2012, 11:22:07 pm »
There are two bike shops which spring to mind in Bristol which have no parking (of any sort) but both let you bring your bike inside even if you're just browsing. I asked one why they didn't just put some racks outside, they said they couldn't because of planning permission - it's not their land, after all, it's the pavement.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #30 on: 08 February, 2012, 11:41:15 pm »
Oh, and yes, I know it's a bit slack.  Perennial problem.

Chain doesn't look too hot either.
It is simpler than it looks.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #31 on: 09 February, 2012, 03:55:49 pm »
I asked one why they didn't just put some racks outside, they said they couldn't because of planning permission - it's not their land, after all, it's the pavement.

Edinburgh Bike Co-op used to even lend you one of their u-locks if you didn't have one on you.

As well as the racks built into the shop wall, plenty of bikes were left locked up on the park railings across the road - often with the saddle & seat tube removed with a q/r, as was the fashion at the time. One of my clubmates worked there and he once told me of the day he witnessed a scruffy drunk urinating into an open seat tube.  :sick:

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #32 on: 09 February, 2012, 08:59:56 pm »
Urrrrgh! That's not going to do your BB any good at all!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #33 on: 30 September, 2012, 05:22:30 pm »

B&Q Sutton
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #34 on: 30 September, 2012, 09:08:22 pm »
Better than B&Q Silly Oak (which has a lamp post in the middle of the car park).

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #35 on: 30 September, 2012, 10:34:20 pm »
This is Sheffield Station's offering. Indoors, multi-tiered and plenty of room to manoeuvre...

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #36 on: 01 October, 2012, 10:29:54 pm »
Those things can breed as well: -

This was in Hexham. Why the trolleys get a roof and the bikes don't is beyond me

We found out on Saturday taht the Hexham ones have all disappeared to be replaced by a couple parking spaces :(
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #37 on: 26 April, 2014, 11:44:54 pm »
P4264543 by TJ Clarion, on Flickr

Sainsburys, Purley Way.

Getting there...

Euan Uzami

« Reply #38 on: 27 April, 2014, 12:21:08 pm »
what's wrong with that?  :-\

« Reply #39 on: 27 April, 2014, 01:00:11 pm »
Too closely spaced by the looks of it.

That abandoned and semi-stripped bike looks like it's had some nice bits on it, Tubus rack IINM. Anyone got some allen keys?

« Reply #40 on: 27 April, 2014, 01:08:46 pm »
I must take a picture and figure out how to post it of the farcilities at Draycote Water.   They are of the wheelbender design but the hoops are so high that you cannot put the rear of a derailleur-equipped machine in.   

I had a word with one of the Rangers who seemed surprised that I'd want to lock my bike securely saying "Who's gonna nick a bike round here?".    ???

« Reply #41 on: 27 April, 2014, 03:24:37 pm »
what's wrong with that?  :-\
Too closely spaced, too close to the wall and if you have full sized bikes with all their wheels, it blocks the access from the parent and child parking to the ramp to the door. ::-)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #42 on: 27 April, 2014, 03:42:49 pm »
Ooh, *wonders if nikki has a photo of the bike racks at Morrisons at Longbridge*

Perfectly sensible Sheffield stands up against the wall near the main entrance.  Except at some point recently, they've built a garden centre about a wheel-diameter away from the stands, which means that any correctly-parked bike automatically blocks access from that direction.

« Reply #43 on: 27 April, 2014, 08:37:46 pm »
Loadsabikes and self attended very new YHA hostel for brekkie in the 'national forest' when meeting Jogler and no bike racks at all.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #44 on: 28 April, 2014, 10:31:37 am »
Ooh, *wonders if nikki has a photo of the bike racks at Morrisons at Longbridge*

Perfectly sensible Sheffield stands up against the wall near the main entrance.  Except at some point recently, they've built a garden centre about a wheel-diameter away from the stands, which means that any correctly-parked bike automatically blocks access from that direction.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #46 on: 15 January, 2016, 12:07:44 am »
They've finally installed some proper cycle parking at the Morrisons at Five Ways:

Sadly, that photo doesn't show the awesome wobbliness of the installation, due to incompetent use of rawlbolts.  There are three more stands to the left of those, with bikes attached, which turned out to be equally loose.  I locked my bike to the trolley park.

(click to show/hide)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #47 on: 15 January, 2016, 12:31:43 pm »
A Cash Converters special.

« Reply #49 on: 15 January, 2016, 09:14:22 pm »
"It was an art project" is going to be my excuse the next time I cock something up ;D