Author Topic: Watchmen  (Read 9832 times)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Watchmen
« on: 18 July, 2008, 06:28:25 pm »
Apple - Trailers - Watchmen - Large

My inner fanboy left a damp patch on the chair when I saw that they got Doc Manhattan right. ;D
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
Re: Watchmen
« Reply #1 on: 18 July, 2008, 06:32:30 pm »
3rd June or 6th March - either way I can't wait that long.
A shitter and a giggler.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #2 on: 18 July, 2008, 06:37:11 pm »
Linear time, it's such a bind.  I have an intrinsic field subtractor if you'd like a ride?
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3 on: 18 July, 2008, 06:47:17 pm »
Hmmm. Looks good, doesn't it?

However, I'm incapable of maintaining excitement about anything for 8/11 months, so I shall try to forget about this for 7 months.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #4 on: 18 July, 2008, 07:21:52 pm »
I'm not sure. In the comic Nite Owl looked faintly ridiculous in his suit - he was a middle-aged geek with a paunch. In this he looks like Batman with all his anatomical rubberized suit 'n all. There's that huge thread running all the way through the book that the costumed heroes all just look a bit silly, but it looks in the trailer like they couldn't resist making them look cool.

Dr. Manhattan does look the part though. I wonder if they had the balls to give him genitals? I'm guessing not...

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #5 on: 19 July, 2008, 12:27:37 am »
Yoiks! That looks about as good as I could have expected. They were bound to make everyone a bit thinner and 'sexier'...

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #6 on: 19 July, 2008, 11:43:29 am »
*rummages through household crap for graphic novel for nth re-reading*

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #7 on: 19 July, 2008, 04:11:03 pm »
Looks great!
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #8 on: 20 July, 2008, 12:30:05 pm »
New shorts, please!
Allow me to explain through the medium of interpretive dance

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #9 on: 23 July, 2008, 10:12:47 pm »
Mainly, I had to find myself a copy of the Pumpkins' track.   ::-)  (But the film look good)
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

Kathy

« Reply #10 on: 25 July, 2008, 07:56:07 pm »
Wow. Must see. They even had the guts to go with the Rorschach narration, which I feared would get edited out for clarity.

I'm not sure. In the comic Nite Owl looked faintly ridiculous in his suit - he was a middle-aged geek with a paunch. In this he looks like Batman with all his anatomical rubberized suit 'n all. There's that huge thread running all the way through the book that the costumed heroes all just look a bit silly, but it looks in the trailer like they couldn't resist making them look cool.

Nite Owl in the comics was an homage to the Batman of the '80s. As I see it, they've just updated him to a more 2008-style superhero costume. Similarly, they've modernised Silk Specter II's costume - made it a lot more daring in line with modern sensibilities moving on.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #11 on: 30 July, 2008, 10:37:22 am »
Similarly, they've modernised Silk Specter II's costume - made it a lot more daring in line with modern sensibilities moving on.
<hormonal teenager>
That's funny - I thought they'd covered her up more :(
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Kathy

« Reply #12 on: 21 August, 2008, 09:53:12 am »

Zoidburg

« Reply #13 on: 21 August, 2008, 05:57:24 pm »
Trust Fox ::-)

Hitler didnt die, he had his head transplanted in to jar and runs Fox from a secret underground bunker in the rocky mountains

Its all true I tell you

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #14 on: 21 August, 2008, 06:15:45 pm »
So I take it that this isn't about Vimes, Carrot, Nobby Nobbs, and Sergeant Colon then?
Shan't be making a big fuss about it then...
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #15 on: 22 August, 2008, 09:16:29 am »
So I take it that this isn't about Vimes, Carrot, Nobby Nobbs, and Sergeant Colon then?

Not this one, but apparently there is a Pratchett Guards movie/tv special in the works right now...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #16 on: 22 August, 2008, 09:55:14 am »

Not this one, but apparently there is a Pratchett Guards movie/tv special in the works right now...

Am I the only who thinks that Pratchett's wordplay and style doesn't really transfer well to the screen (big or small)?

Anyway, a Pratchett movie doesn't excite me at all... Watchmen on the other hand, well, put it this way, if Fox carry on like this, I wouldn't be unhappy if their headquarters burnt down... actually, even without this, I wouldn't be sorry to see bad things happening to any of Murdoch's outlets but that's another story.

Jakob

« Reply #17 on: 18 September, 2008, 08:06:50 am »
I'll be doing a bit on this and it looks very promising.

« Reply #18 on: 15 November, 2008, 11:48:36 am »
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #19 on: 15 November, 2008, 03:43:36 pm »

« Reply #20 on: 16 January, 2009, 05:07:28 pm »
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #21 on: 05 February, 2009, 11:12:32 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/n5WsciSNVS0&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/n5WsciSNVS0&rel=1</a>

:thumbsup:

« Reply #22 on: 05 February, 2009, 07:28:32 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/n5WsciSNVS0&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/n5WsciSNVS0&rel=1</a>

I have watched that and explained to Tim that we are going to see it in the cinema, buy the DVD, buy the DVD with extras, and he is just going to have to deal with it. ;)

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #23 on: 07 March, 2009, 12:11:55 am »
Just got back from seeing it today (spoiler free content).

I liked it, I have to say that it was better than I was expecting - there aren't many bum notes and I'm not going to discuss them until more people have seen it, or else you might be looking for them.  I thought the casting was mostly excellent.

The violence is quite graphic, really quite brutal in places, especially the bit where Dan and Laurie fend off some knot tops - the original tends to downplay violence by not doing the standard dynamic movement seen in comics so when translated to the screen it's quite heavy.

There was one biggish omission but I would expect to see that in the extended version.

I liked the ending too, again, can't discuss that yet, it made sense though.

Looking forward to the extended DVD now.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #24 on: 07 March, 2009, 01:01:23 am »
My son just texted me to say it's awesome.
There's no vibrations, but wait.