Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 514759 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
A 32% beer?  :o :hand:

That's not even the strongest there is - I heard of one recently that was supposedly 67%.

I once got the chance to try Brewdog's 'End Of History' - 55% abv and presented in a dead animal. It tasted like a thick, treacly whisky. Not entirely unpleasant but not really beer - not in any meaningful sense.

Some might suggest that Brewdog are better at publicity stunts than at making beer.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

Their Sink the Bismarck was 41%, if I recall. Like TNP, it falls into the interesting category – I wouldn't drink a pint. To be fair to Brewdog, they do brew some great beers and their publicity seems to work, it's pretty easy to get a Dead Pony or Punk IPA even in places that would have previously offered Fosters, Carling, or if you felt a bit special, Stella. I'm minded we should celebrate them as a successful British/Scottish business. They do some genuinely great beers, share all their recipes, seem pretty fair to their staff, and when they're caught being dicks about stuff seem willing to stand up and admit they're being dicks and say sorry.

Quite a few imperial stouts and barley wines are 10-15%. In fact, I had a bourbon-barrel-aged barleywine from Brewdog that was 17% and completely lush and I probably could have drunk a pint, if it hadn't been my first drink of the day.

Different yeast strains have different alcohol tolerances, they usually only die between 14-18%, but their metabolism drops off sharply as the alcohol content rises, hence strong beers having to sit around for a long time to make up those few last per cent.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
My understanding is like citoyen's.

Ethanol is toxic to yeast above a certain concentration and it's unlikely that a wild yeast in the fruit compote would be tolerant of a high booziness.

Yes, but no.

You can build tolerance slowly in the yeast.  Keep topping up a must (the fermenting mixture) with more sugar a bit at a time and there is a self-selection of the yeast that is more tolerant, and can grow more tolerant as you go.

I've sucessfully fermented up to 20% by that method to create a pseudo port as a PSO.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-lincolnshire-45758126/deep-fried-chocolate-orange-hits-plates-at-chip-shop

Chocolate oranges are on Special Offer at Sainsbury's until Tuesday if you wish to try this (or even if you don't!)

FACT: The chippy in the article used to be The Yarborough Hotel, where Lea and Knaith CC used to meet up before travelling to away games.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

hellymedic

• Just do it!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-lincolnshire-45758126/deep-fried-chocolate-orange-hits-plates-at-chip-shop

Chocolate oranges are on Special Offer at Sainsbury's until Tuesday if you wish to try this (or even if you don't!)

FACT: The chippy in the article used to be The Yarborough Hotel, where Lea and Knaith CC used to meet up before travelling to away games.

[Totally OT for this thread] Was't the Yarborough previously named 'The Ship'?

I believe this was where Bernie's Long Flat One had a change of direction and the route sheet had not been updated. ('Turn left at The Ship Inn' IIRC but it wasn't The Ship')
I was on my second 600 and two venerable AUKs were Mighty Pissed Off. I think they packed on their return to Doncaster.

Must have been 1994...

Totally OT for this thread] Was't the Yarborough previously named 'The Ship'?

Yeah but there was no point to it.

My coat's just behind the card table.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics

[Totally OT for this thread] Was't the Yarborough previously named 'The Ship'?

I believe this was where Bernie's Long Flat One had a change of direction and the route sheet had not been updated. ('Turn left at The Ship Inn' IIRC but it wasn't The Ship')
I was on my second 600 and two venerable AUKs were Mighty Pissed Off. I think they packed on their return to Doncaster.

Must have been 1994...
[/quote]
The Ship Inn is still the Ship Inn and goes back at least as far as the 1840s. The Yarborough was the Yarborough from the 19th century until it became a chippy.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Sort-of foody: I've been trying out tinted oils on wood samples, and one of them has left my fingers smelling like aged kippers. :sick:
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
I ended up having a short stay in hospital last week but now home. I decided to work from home todat and do a shorter day. I stared at 6.30 ish. Took an hour out at 10 to go to the doctors, who thought that I shouldn't really be working but gave me a fit note so I could do light duties and shorter days. I went home and did a few more hours, I then took a lunch break (which I normally don't do). I finished work at about 4ish and sat down on the sofa with a cuppa. I've just woke up with a cold drink at my side!! I think I'm a still a bit tired from last week antics.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Take care Lou.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
Thank you.

I used to be a great fan of "Spiced Abyss" hot chocolate,  40% cocoa with added vanilla, cardomom, cinnamon & chilli ,  it had a lovely warming glow.  So of course they stopped making it  :(

I've just bought a bag of their regular hot chocolate, and while not as good as the spiced, it's a cut above the supermarket stuff. Recommended.

https://shop.tchibo-coffee.co.uk/collections/hot-chocolate/products/chocolate-abyss-40-cocoa-1kg-bag
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

ian

I want a proper taco right now. Not the hipsterified Londonista taco. The proper deal. Right outta of a truck in East LA (served in the back of an LAPD cruiser, trust me).

Which is, to say the least, an inconvenient urge

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/gallery/2018/oct/31/the-most-disgusting-food-in-the-world-in-pictures

Not sure about the editing in that one - Liquorice and haggis disgusting? Surely a lot more odd stuff in the far east.

sib

e.g. durian fruit  :sick:

ian

The hotel I was staying in earlier this year in KL was hosting a wedding reception of which they were serving a copious amount of durian.

That was a bit full on.

ElyDave

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/gallery/2018/oct/31/the-most-disgusting-food-in-the-world-in-pictures

Not sure about the editing in that one - Liquorice and haggis disgusting? Surely a lot more odd stuff in the far east.

I note most of it appeared to be the salmiak style of liquorice, which is a bit of an acquired taste - I like it, personally.

ElyDave

roasted me some cauliflower this evening, with a bit of chilli.  mashed it rather than puree, added some double cream, grain mustard.   Very nommy indeed.  Will try that again.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Funny the way that 9v battery still on its card has been knocking around the house for years until you actually need the bloody thing.

Meanwhile, the pair of Fiskars we use to open the dog-food bags has gone missing. Probably eloped with the damn battery.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
You haven't lived until you've tried halloumi with shark's fin.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Apropos of nothing, TLD just posited that, though the diet mat be lacking*, being a vegetarian has the advantage that, unless you eat rice, you don't get food poisoning.

My response was that the worst case of food poisoning I had ever had was whilst I was thus inclined.

*I have no idea where she gets this idea from, especially as she is the queen of the veggie paella!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

hellymedic

• Just do it!
You cannot be CEREUS!

Staphylococcal food poisoning can come from cream.
Listeria from cheese.
E. Coli from salad.

etc...

ian

You beat me to it – it's far more common to get food poisoning from vegetables and non-meats (in part because it's more common to eat them without cooking). Before modern meat factory processing started to spread contaminants around, it would be rare to get food poisoning from meat (in olden times, the problem would have been parasites).

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Back in the 70s, there was an epidemic* of food poisoning from chilli con carne. The meat was fine, it was undercooked red kidney beans that were the problem.

*at least, that's how I remember it being portrayed on That's Life
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."