Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 942835 times)

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #8075 on: 14 June, 2018, 11:09:19 pm »
I've not seen Solo yet, it seems like the sort of thing that they couldn't fuck up, loveable rogue Han etc. That said, the reviews have been mostly 'meh.'

Yeah..that and the trailer made me a bit hesitant (and dialled my expectations down), but I really liked it. Everything is kept 'grounded', more so than Rogue 1, humour kept at a reasonable level and compared to Rogue 1 and Last Jedi, plays much much better.
 Even my wife, who doesn't really like Star Wars, enjoyed it.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8076 on: 15 June, 2018, 07:50:03 am »
8mm: a nasty film that might have been written by James Ellroy but wasn't;  starring Nicolas Cage, the man people love to despise but who is actually an excellent actor when he gets the chance, as here.  "Enjoy" wasn't quite the word.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #8077 on: 23 June, 2018, 09:39:27 pm »
Last night, Mad Max was on telly. The original one. So I watched it. For about the tenth time. Mel Gibson seems to get younger with each viewing. The film itself hasn’t aged so well but I still love it.

Tonight, for a contrast, we went to the cinema to see The Happy Prince. Very good. Desperately sad. Tragic, even.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8078 on: 24 June, 2018, 01:33:35 pm »
Not sure I could take another Oscar Wilde film.  I can remember when my sister went to the 1960 one and my parents had kittens. "Not suitable for a teenage girl".  I asked what the fuss was about and my mum said "he was... rude."

We're watching Ken Burns' Vietnam series on Netflux. Excellent.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #8079 on: 24 June, 2018, 04:50:05 pm »
Not sure I could take another Oscar Wilde film.

I liked it but given the choice, I would rather watch Mad Max again.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8080 on: 24 June, 2018, 05:02:28 pm »
 Me too - and one of the main motivations would be to hear Goose's Brollalolla song again.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8081 on: 11 July, 2018, 08:32:54 am »
Easy Rider, God wot. Mrs T had never seen it and Netflux has just posted it so, not being football freaks, we put it on.  Very mixed feelings after.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #8082 on: 11 July, 2018, 12:36:42 pm »
Not sure I could take another Oscar Wilde film.  I can remember when my sister went to the 1960 one and my parents had kittens. "Not suitable for a teenage girl".  I asked what the fuss was about and my mum said "he was... rude."

How are the kittens relevant??
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8083 on: 11 July, 2018, 12:41:16 pm »
Kittens are never relevant unless you have them.

« Reply #8084 on: 11 July, 2018, 10:58:50 pm »
The Happy Prince was rather good,  but not perhaps for those easily upset by naked chaps.....
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #8085 on: 12 July, 2018, 09:14:16 pm »
Time Trial - the David Millar film - so bad that it warrants its own thread -  q.v.

Rob

« Reply #8086 on: 14 July, 2018, 09:30:32 am »
Wind River
Not your usual US action flick. Great atmosphere.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #8087 on: 14 July, 2018, 05:20:06 pm »
Not a big film follower, but am now off my feet for several weeks recovering so have invested in Netflix

Just Watched “The Foreigner” from 2017, based on the early 1990s Stephen Leather book “The Chinaman”

Jackie Chan..... Stunning, a deeper, more emotional part than usual for him, but for me it carries the film

Highly recommend

« Reply #8088 on: 16 July, 2018, 08:16:36 am »
Not a big film follower, but am now off my feet for several weeks recovering so have invested in Netflix

Just Watched “The Foreigner” from 2017, based on the early 1990s Stephen Leather book “The Chinaman”

Jackie Chan..... Stunning, a deeper, more emotional part than usual for him, but for me it carries the film

Highly recommend

I can also recommend "Shinjuku Incident" where Chan plays an illegal Chinese immigrant in Japan.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #8089 on: 01 August, 2018, 03:53:31 pm »
A short review of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom:
The movie was similar to martial arts films I had seen on television, only less comprehensible, with too many villains, tribal people, and children needing to be rescued.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #8090 on: 01 August, 2018, 05:04:24 pm »
Stumbled on a film on Netflix (Extinction) that was actually quite good (after Mute and the Cloverfield thing, I click play with a degree of trepidation and have several drinks lined up).

« Reply #8091 on: 05 August, 2018, 03:09:27 pm »
Daughter wanted to watch a film and cinema choice was *all sequels*. Temp houseshare had loads of DVDs so we browsed the shelves and chose one (it was like browsing blockbuster shortly before it closed).

She fancied a disaster movie, so we watched Deep Impact.

WTF did we just watch?  I've never seen such a mix of decent scenes and absolutely terrible trash. It swung from dire to brilliant and back again without pause. Morgan Freeman even didn't bother making an effort, he must have guessed that the totality would be a turkey.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #8092 on: 05 August, 2018, 03:12:02 pm »
Valerian Netflix Mmmm.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8093 on: 05 August, 2018, 04:52:55 pm »
Stumbled on a film on Netflix (Extinction) that was actually quite good (after Mute and the Cloverfield thing, I click play with a degree of trepidation and have several drinks lined up).

I'd line up the drinks if I were you.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8094 on: 05 August, 2018, 09:15:41 pm »

WTF did we just watch?  I've never seen such a mix of decent scenes and absolutely terrible trash. It swung from dire to brilliant and back again without pause. Morgan Freeman even didn't bother making an effort, he must have guessed that the totality would be a turkey.

The thing about Deep Impact is you've got to put it in context.  It was released into a world where the mere idea of a black president of the USA was radical, and Armageddon was what passed for an asteroid-collision disaster movie[1].

Still doesn't entirely make sense.  The high hobbit content, for one thing.

My working theory is that they poached the SCIENCE consultant from the Armageddon team, who proceeded to carry on without one, on the basis that having Bruce Willis and Aerosmith would carry it.  Sadly this appears to have been the case.

[1] It also passed for worst big-budget disaster movie of all time, until The Core came out in 2003.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8095 on: 06 August, 2018, 07:15:54 am »
Back when they came out, New Sci gave DI the nod for being marginally closer to reality, but preferred Armageddon for fun.

IIRC the plots were inspired by the Shoemaker-Levy impacts and the Hyakutake & Hale-Bopp comets.  The 90s were rather rich in gaudy astronomical events.

Humph, Hale-Bop.  I got perfectly-guided pics of that but like a twat didn't think to bracket & stack, so all of them have blown highlights. :(

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #8096 on: 06 August, 2018, 08:19:44 am »

The thing about Deep Impact is you've got to put it in context.  It was released into a world where the mere idea of a black president of the USA was radical, and Armageddon was what passed for an asteroid-collision disaster movie[1].

My working theory is that they poached the SCIENCE consultant from the Armageddon team, who proceeded to carry on without one, on the basis that having Bruce Willis and Aerosmith would carry it.  Sadly this appears to have been the case.

[1] It also passed for worst big-budget disaster movie of all time, until The Core came out in 2003.

I thought that Prof Brian Cox was the science advisor on DI?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8097 on: 06 August, 2018, 09:30:50 am »
According to IMDB it was one Chris Luchini.  According to the Interthing he holds a PhD in High-Energy Physics and ran for sheriff of Los Alamos last January.

ian

« Reply #8098 on: 06 August, 2018, 09:45:41 am »
Armageddon is a classic. Deep Impact is just another disaster movie.

Yesterday, we waited the the midday sun with Ant-Man and the Wasp which was very good and induced much chortling in the audience and won bonus points for both 'quantum' references and taking the piss out of itself for putting 'quantum' in front of everything.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #8099 on: 06 August, 2018, 10:11:55 am »

I thought that Prof Brian Cox was the science advisor on DI?

That was Sunshine.  His attempts to disown it are thwarted by Robin Ince on every other episode of TIMC.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime