Author Topic: [HAMR] February 7th  (Read 6250 times)

[HAMR] February 7th
« on: 07 February, 2015, 04:50:08 am »
He`s not fired up yet, and it`s darn cold again. Currently forecast predicting the cold settled spell likely all February too, winter jackets may sell out !!!
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
Re: February 7th
« Reply #1 on: 07 February, 2015, 05:58:00 am »
And he's off!

You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2 on: 07 February, 2015, 06:05:56 am »
Bladder o'clock inSouthend, but in MK Mr Big bashes on.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #3 on: 07 February, 2015, 06:55:15 am »
Wearing a furrow up the A5 again.  Another Sheepy Magna day?
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #4 on: 07 February, 2015, 07:57:44 am »
Heading for Rutland again tonight?
I was wondering which route he might take as I'd like to ride with Steve this afternoon.
All those rides towards Burton this week, I wondered if he might do the same today and then follow the Trent through Nottinghamshire?
Remind me please, who has the days provisional routes?
How often does Steve stop to eat and does anyone know any preferred cafe stops he might have in the Nottinghamshire area?

« Reply #5 on: 07 February, 2015, 09:15:27 am »
The Rutland trip from a couple of weeks ago is here:  https://www.strava.com/activities/245543585

Looks like a brief stop in East Leake followed by Vale of Belvoir then as far as Fulbeck before heading south.

MarkA

« Reply #6 on: 07 February, 2015, 09:26:44 am »
It does indeed.  I'm going out that way shortly so will keep an eye out for him and on the tracker if I can get a signal.  If stopping at East Leake could be the Chefs Cafe.

« Reply #7 on: 07 February, 2015, 09:36:23 am »
After a bit of zooming in and Streetview I reckon he just grabbed something from the Co-op.

MarkA

« Reply #8 on: 07 February, 2015, 09:49:41 am »
Do you know what time that was?  To give an idea if when he will be there today.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #9 on: 07 February, 2015, 10:00:03 am »
Do you know what time that was?  To give an idea if when he will be there today.

Track him in Strava.

We found it helped when he came down South last month.

H

« Reply #10 on: 07 February, 2015, 10:23:15 am »
It was about 1300 last time.

Best to keep an eye on the tracker though as I suspect that he may decide to miss out the Charnwood hills today.

« Reply #11 on: 07 February, 2015, 11:49:19 am »
Good grief :o

Has Steve ridden *any* days yet when it's not been below freezing at some point?
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #12 on: 07 February, 2015, 12:09:13 pm »
Here in Southend we have recorded 8 air frosts so far this year, 5 more than in the whole of 2014. The January mean temperature was 5.7°C, so far for Feb it is a niggardly 2.4°C. Southend tends to be quite a bit warmer than most of the country.

There have been a further 16 days in which we have not recorded an air frost but the minimum temperature was below 3°C. I would wager that on all of those days Steve had a frost to contend with, and probably a few more. He's endured a few mornings at -6°C whereas the lowest temperature we have recorded all year has been -2.7°C (20th Jan).

Hummers

« Reply #13 on: 07 February, 2015, 12:30:57 pm »

Has Steve ridden *any* days yet when it's not been below freezing at some point?

It should be better next week.

H

Chris S

« Reply #14 on: 07 February, 2015, 12:40:42 pm »

Yep - there were all those days in January when instead of frost, ice and snow, he had gales, rain and mud  :thumbsup:.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #15 on: 07 February, 2015, 01:08:22 pm »
I have a data sheet from Strava covering the dates 1-28 January, and according to that he experienced a minimum temperature of 1°C on the 1st and 5th of Jan. Min temp was 3°C on the 12th and a positively boiling 6°C on the 9th. The minimum temperature has been zero or below on every other day. Lowest temperature has been -8°C.

Average temp was zero or below on 7 of those 28 days.

Presumably that data is from his GPS. The Edge 1000 is supposed to be pretty accurate in this respect.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #16 on: 07 February, 2015, 01:52:03 pm »
I'm guessing he has stopped at Wymondham windmill?
Any thoughts on where he might go for the next 6 hours?

Hummers

« Reply #17 on: 07 February, 2015, 01:54:38 pm »

It should be better next week.

H

« Reply #18 on: 07 February, 2015, 02:07:02 pm »
I'm guessing he has stopped at Wymondham windmill?
Hopefully, there are enough cyclists there for someone to Stand him lunch.
About to build tonight's lasagne for the man!

« Reply #19 on: 07 February, 2015, 02:10:43 pm »

To the flat lands a bit further east would be a good idea - It'll be just like Florida apart from the heat, alligators, mangroves, sinkholes, and oranges.

« Reply #20 on: 07 February, 2015, 02:13:03 pm »
Could be a Holbeach cuppa.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #21 on: 07 February, 2015, 03:53:40 pm »
Tarzan's giving it some today. He's already covered 80 miles and it's only 10.45am Florida time.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #22 on: 07 February, 2015, 06:09:42 pm »
It looks as though Steve is heading for in excess of 200 miles as well. I reckon, as the days lengthen and the weather warms up, we will be heading for shite-or-bust time.

« Reply #23 on: 07 February, 2015, 06:17:30 pm »
It looks as though Steve is heading for in excess of 200 miles as well. I reckon, as the days lengthen and the weather warms up, we will be heading for shite-or-bust time.

I think thats more likely to be May and June. When Steve's talking about making his move... I understand that to mean barely sleeping and riding a huge amount of hrs a day, so even Tarzans 'short' days have to be v.long to keep up.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #24 on: 07 February, 2015, 06:28:42 pm »
The rate at which Tarzan is eating into Steve's 10-day lead make me think that Steve will start to extend his days rather sooner than that. It will be quite tough, psychologically as well as physically, if Steve has to play catch-up.

In a little over a month they will be on an even keel so far as hours of daylight are concerned and after that Steve will have the advantage. On the assumption that Tarzan doesn't head further north than 50° then over the summer months I think Steve will want to spend pretty much every daylight hour on his bike, and a couple of hours of darkness as well.