Author Topic: Ice  (Read 3178 times)

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
Re: Ice
« Reply #25 on: 12 February, 2015, 10:19:04 am »
Riding in icy conditions is asking for trouble; the problem is you don't know what size portion you will get served up.

H

« Reply #26 on: 12 February, 2015, 10:29:45 am »
Surely the forms are ok as they are (the tendency to over-regulate audax is depressing)?  If it it is felt something should be done, perhaps you could have a box labelled "idiot" which you tick or don't tick; if you come off on ice that could have been predicted and you didn't tick the box, then you pay the organiser.

I've ridden over ice that has brought others off several times.  I didn't even notice it, so it was nothing to do with skill.  That makes me extremely wary.  There are enough hazards out there without adding in ice, which can often be predicted.

@ Jonah

"I would have surly frozen to death"

How is the bike?!

Peter

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #27 on: 12 February, 2015, 10:41:13 am »
Surely the forms are ok as they are (the tendency to over-regulate audax is depressing)? 

:thumbsup:

If it it is felt something should be done, perhaps you could have a box labelled "idiot" which you tick or don't tick

On some of the harder events, I am not sure whether ticking or not ticking should be the one to gain entry?

But totally agree with all of it - it's there on the entry form, we're on private excursions for which we are personally responsible, in conditions or terrain that might be tough (preferably!). 

I am sure AUK and their insurer have worded the entry form to minimise liability if some twunt does try and sue. 
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #28 on: 12 February, 2015, 11:35:16 am »
@ Jonah

"I would have surly frozen to death"

How is the bike?!
Yes that does seem rather harsh on poor Surly.

Anyhoo:
I have raised one aspect of this over on the "official" forum,  where some might view it as more appropriate. Or not ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #29 on: 12 February, 2015, 12:54:05 pm »
Last year I said 'no way' to riding on ice and, in fact, never had to do so as I was lucky (well, it poured down with rain most of the time) with the weather/events.

This year I have been caught out three times on rides with ice.  One of which was treacherous black ice over some Powys high hills which was so bad I could barely keep the bike upright pedalling uphill, and the descents were a case of don't brake, head for anything that looked dry/gravelly, scrub all speed and repeat.  It was petrifying, slow and I knew if I went down I probably wouldn't be found for a very very long time.  I couldn't even have walked as the black ice was like glass across the lane and the banks were pretty high.  It was an enjoyable ride, and I stayed upright, but it's not something I would repeat.  The following weekend was an A road blast around the Olde Folks perm.  In all honesty though - I'm betting the traffic hazards would be greater in 'fatality' terms than the ice. 

I never train/evening/social ride on the road bike in the ice, if it's icy I will be on MTB.  It's got to be compact glassy snow for MTB to be really treacherous and then I have a studded front ice tyre for those conditions.

Now I have ridden a few audaxes in icy conditions I suspect I will continue to precariously do so, although it will be on a case by case basis and that's only because I'm stupid.  I have a lot of respect for those who say 'no' to riding in ice. 
Does not play well with others

« Reply #30 on: 12 February, 2015, 01:14:05 pm »
I don't just say no, I say no fucking way, and I sneer at people who say things like this:

Quote from: short sighted fool
Rule 9

There's nothing badass about getting your arse wiped by a sullen fat nurse who makes you wait half an hour for a bedpan.

We're not professionals, it's a hobby. Sure, people get caught out, but if you choose to go out knowing it's going to be icy, on an inappropriate steed (3 wheels or studs pretty much covers it) its just selfish. I really hate things like those pictures in Arrivee showing riders in the snow at the top of Park Rash. It's not big and it's not clever. If you need an ambulance out there it's because you selfishly chose to do something utterly reckless. At least Everest climbers sign a disclaimer.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #31 on: 12 February, 2015, 05:57:21 pm »
To be fair, that one does not mention ice - or even dangerous conditions. Just "bad weather". Pretty clear difference in my mind.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #32 on: 12 February, 2015, 06:09:29 pm »
I don't just say no, I say no fucking way, and I sneer at people who say things like this:

Quote from: short sighted fool
Rule 9

There's nothing badass about getting your arse wiped by a sullen fat nurse who makes you wait half an hour for a bedpan.

We're not professionals, it's a hobby. Sure, people get caught out, but if you choose to go out knowing it's going to be icy, on an inappropriate steed (3 wheels or studs pretty much covers it) its just selfish. I really hate things like those pictures in Arrivee showing riders in the snow at the top of Park Rash. It's not big and it's not clever. If you need an ambulance out there it's because you selfishly chose to do something utterly reckless. At least Everest climbers sign a disclaimer.

I was one of the riders on that Park Rash ride.  I started late with Don Black.  We got to the top and turned back.  I think it was only the first or second ride I've abandoned. I was disappointed because I love to ride and that was a great route - but I'm sure I was right.  I think the finishers were extremely lucky, though they may say in all honesty that they were very careful.  I won't be riding in those conditions again.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #33 on: 13 February, 2015, 01:42:28 pm »
Time was, when there was no audax activity between late October and early February.  Hard types would make a bit of a statement by riding to the AGM/Dinner in November, or to one of the 'reunions' (south or north) that were held in January.  I remember riding home from Grassington one January with about a foot of snow on the ground - not from choice, but all the trains were at a standstill.

On the other hand time was, when the Met Office didn't issue weather warnings at the drop of a sou'wester.

You've got to be unlucky to get a bad spell the AGM side of Christmas. We saw no snow on the ride up to and and across the Peak district last year and it was almost reasonably mild.

Wind forward over 2 months on the Peaks were a winter wonderland and Snake Pass was closed due to snow drifting across the  road.

H