Author Topic: [HAMR] 29th March - Day 88  (Read 29374 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: 29th March - Day 88
« Reply #225 on: 30 March, 2015, 06:59:31 pm »
Dr Larrington just phoned me - guess what the first topic of conversation was :(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #226 on: 30 March, 2015, 07:00:31 pm »
Ice cream?
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #227 on: 30 March, 2015, 07:45:22 pm »
Not sure if it's been mentioned before but Steve needs to file a claim against the moped riders insurance. Could assist in paying for some serious physiotherapy. The claim for pain, suffering and loss of amenity just doesn't bear thinking about....
GO STEVE!!!!!
What's three months out of a lifetimes dream? (yes a huge amount of work but can't see this stopping him. )
Wonder if anyone from Team GB / Team Sky etc is able to rehabilitate an injured O.Y.T.'ist? 

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #228 on: 30 March, 2015, 07:49:25 pm »
Shit Steve! I go to hospital for 24 hours and return home to to find you have done the same.
Mend well and fast!

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #229 on: 30 March, 2015, 07:51:51 pm »
Wonder if anyone from Team GB / Team Sky etc is able to rehabilitate an injured O.Y.T.'ist?

Think they've got enough on their hands trying to get Sir Brad to win Paris-Roubaix.

macnark

• Cake and Tea solves all.
« Reply #230 on: 30 March, 2015, 07:57:08 pm »
Shit Steve! I go to hospital for 24 hours and return home to to find you have done the same.
Mend well and fast!
And you, too!

« Reply #231 on: 30 March, 2015, 07:57:25 pm »
I think questioning Steve about why he left the scene is an encouraging sign.

It shows the coppers are doing what they should be doing, taking the matter seriously and gathering evidence from both parties, and probably at the scene, before making a charging decision.

That decision, and this bit is important, should be based on the evidence, nothing else.

« Reply #232 on: 30 March, 2015, 08:02:55 pm »
yep - but they did also want to know why Steve left the site of an accident

Good grief.

Knowing the extreme unfairness of the police and our legal system towards cyclists, they'll probably charge Steve and not even forward the (possible) case of causing injury by careless driving to the CPS. :(

The policeman was very interested in and supportive of what Steve is attempting. Hoppo had explained everything about the reasons for Steve's leaving the scene. A full statement was taken and appropriate advice given. The moped rider is currently on bail.
Meanwhile we have quite a lot to get through over the next few days. Thank-you for all your amazing support thus far.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #233 on: 30 March, 2015, 08:10:23 pm »
Oh buggerit ...

Heal well & quick, young sir.
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #234 on: 30 March, 2015, 08:37:22 pm »
Just caught up with this, best wishes to Steve.

« Reply #235 on: 30 March, 2015, 08:43:28 pm »
Kurt's solidarity - see Tarzan thread - is truly heartwarming.

GWS Steve.
They laughed when I said I was going to be a stand-up comedian. They're not laughing now.

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #236 on: 30 March, 2015, 08:50:44 pm »

Not sure if it's been mentioned before but Steve needs to file a claim against the moped riders insurance. Could assist in paying for some serious physiotherapy. The claim for pain, suffering and loss of amenity just doesn't bear thinking about....

Rest assured ..  insurance and legal cover are being followed up by the team ( Steve has other things to think about)   - as well as legal cover in case we need to take action against moped rider - hope the wretch  had insurance !!
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #237 on: 30 March, 2015, 09:28:55 pm »
My heart sank when I heard the news.  Were all thinking of you . GWS  XXX ( From the girls ) .
Its More Fun With Three .

Datameister

• EU Cake Mountain
« Reply #238 on: 30 March, 2015, 09:29:44 pm »
hope the wretch  had insurance !!

If not, that is what the M.I.B is for (Motor Insurers' Bureau - nothing to do with Will Smith or Tommy Lee Jones) who pay out as a result of injuries/damage caused by uninsured drivers, and are funded by a levy on Insurance companies.

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #239 on: 30 March, 2015, 09:31:40 pm »
Thanks and respect to Ian, FB and the rest of the back-up team for their excellent support. I've no doubt they must be feeling acutely the dismay expressed by so many here.

While I'm sure Steve himself is enormously grateful, I've no doubt he'd sooner be riding his bike!

« Reply #240 on: 30 March, 2015, 09:35:29 pm »
Re the support team. Huge appreciation for their professionalism and largely unseen support for this whole enterprise. Steve could not be in better hands.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #241 on: 30 March, 2015, 09:43:46 pm »
yep - but they did also want to know why Steve left the site of an accident

Good grief.

Knowing the extreme unfairness of the police and our legal system towards cyclists, they'll probably charge Steve and not even forward the (possible) case of causing injury by careless driving to the CPS. :(

It's not the police I fear, but the magistrates.    I got hit once, head on by car on wrong side of the road who was passing parked vehicles.    Driver cleared of all charges.    :facepalm: ::-)

Rest assured ..  insurance and legal cover are being followed up by the team ( Steve has other things to think about)   - as well as legal cover in case we need to take action against moped rider - hope the wretch  had insurance !!

Good on the team.    Only problem is that Steve need physio NOW, not in 18 months time once the paperwork is sorted.     And yes I have been there, through the hands of the insurance/lawyers/etc, and seen how long it takes (and how much correction I had to do to the paperwork the CTC insurers sent me).

Thanks and respect to Ian, FB and the rest of the back-up team for their excellent support. I've no doubt they must be feeling acutely the dismay expressed by so many here.

While I'm sure Steve himself is enormously grateful, I've no doubt he'd sooner be riding his bike!

Re the support team. Huge appreciation for their professionalism and largely unseen support for this whole enterprise. Steve could not be in better hands.

I can only echo these.    Huge appreciation to the team, and thank goodness Steve has them and didn't decide to just go out on his own and do this ride...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #242 on: 30 March, 2015, 09:48:02 pm »
A moped?  The ignominy  :(
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #243 on: 30 March, 2015, 09:50:06 pm »
The moped rider is currently on bail.

I missed a quote from my previous reply.     Thank f*** this wasn't a hit and run and details/participants were traced.     
(If there were third parties involved as witnesses then they need thanks too for not just driving on by.)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #244 on: 30 March, 2015, 09:52:47 pm »
IANAL but perhaps a public forum is not the best place to speculate too much about the outcome of a potential court case.
Understand  how everyone (including myself feels)

I doubt if it'd have much influence on anything. YACF is public but not exactly Facebook.  However, point taken.

I was just mulling over the probability of riding 75,000+ miles in a year without getting hit at some point. I'd guess that most of us have been in some kind of traffic incident at some time in their lives, and Steve was cramming a good chunk of our lifetime distance into one single year.
Based on the unscientific YACF accident tracker, 10,000 miles is about the interval you can expect between offs caused by another vehicle (if you do get knocked off) but about a third of respondents have never been knocked off at all.  So yes, it was just about odds-on although no doubt Steve is a bit more experienced than some oif us.

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=32446.0
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #245 on: 30 March, 2015, 10:12:00 pm »

Based on the unscientific YACF accident tracker, 10,000 miles is about the interval you can expect between offs caused by another vehicle...

Steve claims well over a 100,000 miles without incident.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #246 on: 30 March, 2015, 10:17:50 pm »
Mend well and fast!
And you, too!

I read into that the same as you, macnark. Get well, Helly! Are you in plaster too?

No. Had a medical problem, which seems to have resolved.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #247 on: 31 March, 2015, 08:01:06 am »

Good on the team.    Only problem is that Steve need physio NOW, not in 18 months time once the paperwork is sorted.     And yes I have been there, through the hands of the insurance/lawyers/etc, and seen how long it takes (and how much correction I had to do to the paperwork the CTC insurers sent me).

Yep - doing this myself at the moment.  Just sent the corrections back for the second time for an incident that occurred almost bang on a year ago now.  :-\   First set of corrections arrive in August last year - they're bluddy slow it's true.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
    • Now Suffolkating on the internet:
« Reply #248 on: 31 March, 2015, 09:56:08 am »
Just caught up with this. Fuck, fuck fuck. Can't begin to imagine how Steve is feeling, so much planning and preparation to be hit from behind by some brainless fucker, drunk in the morning, FFS.

We might be 'only cyclists' but just now for the next two months we are also, 'only voters'. These people need to be taken off the road, and for a long time, not a three-month ban or something equally derisory. A question for anyone doorstepped by a political party, perhaps.

Anyway now is not the time for that - echoing what others have said, healing properly is the most important thing, and glad Steve is otherwise OK. Gutted for him though. Absolutely gutted. I have so much admiration for him in even attempting this. Truly inspirational.

GWS.
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #249 on: 31 March, 2015, 10:33:19 am »
Does anyone know how far Steve cycled after the accident?

When I broke my arm, I had no intention of cycling anywhere and I find it unbelievable that anyone could continue cycling with broken bones in their ankle! More for the legend that is Teethgrinder!
216km from Marsh Gibbon