Author Topic: the food rant thread  (Read 229687 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: the food rant thread
« Reply #1275 on: 05 July, 2017, 04:27:08 pm »
...coupled with the notion that a dessert is a treat that needs to be earned.

Although I certainly didn't consider some of the desserts we were served up at school as a 'treat'.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1276 on: 05 July, 2017, 04:32:29 pm »
Shame about boiled cabbage, it damns a decent vegetable. There are many interesting ways of cooking cabbage or even of eating it raw.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1277 on: 05 July, 2017, 04:35:59 pm »
Shame about boiled cabbage, it damns a decent vegetable. There are many interesting ways of cooking cabbage or even of eating it raw.

Indeed, but school dinner cabbage is in its own class of yuk!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1278 on: 05 July, 2017, 06:36:31 pm »
Proper food needs time to be eaten, both in terms of appetite and absorption. If you are hot and bothered, you might not fancy Real Food.

Very much this.  I find something sweet and milky (icecream, milkshake, that sort of thing) palatable when I've just got off a bike, and it speeds up my enthusiasm for eating proper food.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1279 on: 05 July, 2017, 08:36:33 pm »
Whereas I have suggested Audaxers might benefit from having dessert before the main course...
Is this on nutritional grounds or simply because they can make the main course while you're eating dessert, cutting down waiting time?

If I'm very hungry and there's a cake just there but I have to wait for a sarnie or something to be made, far better for me and my poor companions to eat the cake first rather than have me throw all my toys out if the pram in an attack of the hangry...
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1280 on: 05 July, 2017, 10:12:03 pm »
...coupled with the notion that a dessert is a treat that needs to be earned.

How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1281 on: 05 July, 2017, 11:36:11 pm »
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat!

Funnily enough, that was going through my head as I wrote my post earlier.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1282 on: 06 July, 2017, 12:35:49 pm »
Proper food needs time to be eaten, both in terms of appetite and absorption. If you are hot and bothered, you might not fancy Real Food.

Very much this.  I find something sweet and milky (icecream, milkshake, that sort of thing) palatable when I've just got off a bike, and it speeds up my enthusiasm for eating proper food.
Yogurt is good, I find. Always keep a teaspoon or a spork in your saddlebag, rackpack or pannier.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1283 on: 06 July, 2017, 01:08:14 pm »

Yogurt is good, I find. Always keep a teaspoon or a spork in your saddlebag, rackpack or pannier.

I am fine with milky stuffs. Not all are.

Budget cold tinned rice pudding can be nice for some
of the last small spenders

« Reply #1284 on: 06 July, 2017, 04:08:54 pm »
I seem to remember Assassin OTP  confusing a waitress in a Little  Chef by asking for dessert before the main course on a 200 way back in the 80's. ( This may have happened or it may have been low blood sugar "vision")
" One Cup Of Tea Is Never Enough But 2 Is One Too Many " - John Shuttleworth

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1285 on: 06 July, 2017, 04:15:19 pm »
I've been tempted, on more than one occasion, to start with the main along with everyone else, then ask for a starter menu when everyone else is having their dessert menus.  Haven't done it yet,  but it's only a matter of time.

I've been caught out several times.  2 course meal.  I've ordered starter and main.  Everyone else orders main and sweet.  I eat starter while everyone else watches.  Uncomfortable.   They're hating me cos I'm holding up proceedings.  Making them wait.

The starter as a second course is a brilliant idea.  Thank you.  I will do that.
Why not order a starter while they have mains and a main when they have dessert?

Timings - mains tend to take longer to eat than dessert.

Besides,  I quite like the idea of a starter as a savoury pudding.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1286 on: 06 July, 2017, 04:41:08 pm »
I've been tempted, on more than one occasion, to start with the main along with everyone else, then ask for a starter menu when everyone else is having their dessert menus.  Haven't done it yet,  but it's only a matter of time.

I've been caught out several times.  2 course meal.  I've ordered starter and main.  Everyone else orders main and sweet.  I eat starter while everyone else watches.  Uncomfortable.   They're hating me cos I'm holding up proceedings.  Making them wait.

The starter as a second course is a brilliant idea.  Thank you.  I will do that.
Why not order a starter while they have mains and a main when they have dessert?

I've tried to do that.  For some reason it never works.  Restaurant staff just seem totally unable to get their heads around that idea.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

ian

« Reply #1287 on: 06 July, 2017, 08:26:13 pm »
Make them wait. If they don't understand the way of the starter they're mostly damned already.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #1288 on: 20 September, 2017, 06:28:26 pm »
Pub cooks of Britain.  When you are serving brassicas _cook_ the bloody things and don't give me any of that "al dente" rot.  If I'd wanted crudites (insert accent mark as required) then I'd have ordered raw bloody vegetables not _cooked_ vegetables.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1289 on: 05 October, 2017, 04:18:54 pm »
Basil.  Next time you buy fresh whole herrings  :P and they ask if I'd like them to to clean them, don't get all macho and say you'll do it yourself.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

essexian

« Reply #1290 on: 02 January, 2018, 08:25:01 am »
Ah, to start the New Year with a rant..... "negative person," Me????

Anyway, this one is about my beloved CBH and her misuse of "Sell by", "Use by" and "Best before" dates. Yes, she understands what they are for and what they mean but frankly, she takes their use to an extreme degree.

Take for example, a white cabbage I brought just before Christmas with a use by date of something like the 26th Dec. We had half and wrapped the rest up for later. Well yesterday was later when I went to make some coleslaw only to find that the cabbage was missing....it went in the bin earlier that day as: "It was out of date"..... :facepalm:

So, into the bin I went only to find that the cabbage was fine to eat as it was still fresh.... I think we could have left it in the fridge for another month without any major issues.... Did I use it.... nope. I was told to go out and buy a new one as its: "only 79p."

Yes, it may only be 79p but we had a perfectly usable item which did not need replacing. No wonder why many, many tons of good food go to landfill. Oh and don't get me started on my missing brie.... it was getting lovely and ripe but seems to have gone missing as well..... >:(

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1291 on: 02 January, 2018, 10:12:01 am »
TBH I've never noticed dates of any sort on fruit and veg.

ian

« Reply #1292 on: 02 January, 2018, 10:16:24 am »
They do for the bagged and packaged stuff. I found a cabbage in our fridge with a November date. It had a gone a bit brown on the outside but was fine inside.

I'm not really sure why they needed to shrinkwrap a cabbage in the first place, mind.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1293 on: 02 January, 2018, 02:57:13 pm »
I'm not really sure why they needed to shrinkwrap a cabbage in the first place, mind.
So they could put a date sticker on it.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #1294 on: 02 January, 2018, 04:02:45 pm »
So they could put a date sticker on it.

and the bar code.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1295 on: 03 January, 2018, 12:15:07 pm »
I never pay much attention to dates on fruit & veg. If it's not encased in a mycelium of fungal fur, grossly discoloured or pulpy, it is edible IMO.

Some things that are not quite optimally fresh can still be cooked into something useful and tasty.

My Christmas Eve Apple & suboptimal satsuma sauce was quite nice, if I say so myself...

ian

« Reply #1296 on: 03 January, 2018, 12:27:41 pm »
If it ain't dead animal, it's mostly OK to disregard the dates and go on sight and smell. I'll give the former a day or two leeway if it's not turned green, started to smell funky, or risen and tried to kill me.

Mind you, it doesn't always go right, I found some sour cream at the back of the fridge a few months back during what-can-we-have-for-tea archeological dig. I mostly disregard dates on sour cream/creme fraiche and yoghurt anyway, but this was very old. Anyway, it looked OK and there was no obvious bad smell, but I figured before I ruined my meal, I'd taste a bit.

Anyway, I can't recommend sour cream that's three months past its sell-by, not unless you want what I suspect tastes like a mouthful of Satan's luvjub.

« Reply #1297 on: 25 February, 2018, 04:45:50 pm »
When I want a bacon butty I would like some quality fried bacon please. Note fryed not microwaved, nobody wants microwaved bacon.
The last twice I have ordered a bacon butty (one in a cafe and once in a deli) they have produced some bacon that has been part cooked and stuck it in a microwave. It comes out limp and pale and non of the fat renders out, doesn't smell right either.
A bacon butty is probably the simplest things to cook so stop screwing it up !
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

ian

« Reply #1298 on: 14 March, 2018, 09:59:25 pm »
I confess, I tipped some ready made casserole veg into the slow cooker earlier because otherwise I'll have half a swede (and not the best half, sadly it's illegal to keep an actual Swede in your fridge, and more so to chop them in half first, not to mention a terrible international slight) in my fridge forever. So I'm justifying that particular sin.

Maybe a mango, though I'm a mango ninja, but I think we all appreciate that I'm not everyone. Pomegranates are a bit annoying, there's a lot of thwack-thwacking to get the seeds out and it's a well-known fact that if you eat a bit of the white stuff your insides will fizz out and you'll die. Is it worth taking the chance? Probably not. But I do like pomegranate seeds. I can eat them in quantity and they're nice in salads (try them with feta, honest), and even to spruce up a gin and tonic (preferably an old tom, or something spicy might work against the sweetness). I think I just wrote the most middle-class sentence ever. Don't tell my mum, my pikey inheritance is at stake.

Anyway, having duly undermined my rant, it's the other prepared stuff. Pre-sliced and chopped onions. I mean, seriously, there are people too busy or incompetent to chop an onion? Oh I know, someone will be around in a minute to say 'what about disabled people, those who have lost their arms in horrific crocodile encounters, what about them, eh, you callous and discriminatory fuckjubbin.' I mean the people in Tesco. The troll-faced ones. You've seen them. I suggest we wait for them to pick up the offending article and then push them over into the freezer and bury them in frozen ready-baked potatoes (another wtf thing, or so the Guardian tells me, though they could be messing with me, even a stoned student can nuke a spud in the microwave).

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1299 on: 14 March, 2018, 11:16:24 pm »
We find Cofresh frozen garlic 'cubes' (cuboids) very convenient and good vfm.

ETA £1.10 for 400g so rather cheaper than fresh garlic and no smelly fingers or garlic press to clean.

The lazy/disabled cook.

I can't peel anything that isn't straight so we don't have swede.