Author Topic: [HAMR] 3rd June - Teethgrinder day 154  (Read 2306 times)

red marley

[HAMR] 3rd June - Teethgrinder day 154
« on: 03 June, 2015, 06:38:47 am »
Blimey! After his 400+km day yesterday, Steve started before 5am this morning and he already has over 40km on the clock.

Re: 3rd June - Teethgrinder day 154
« Reply #1 on: 03 June, 2015, 06:53:01 am »
 :thumbsup:
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #2 on: 03 June, 2015, 07:14:11 am »
Back in the groove.  With better weather do you think we'll see trips as far as the Welsh border (Making Hay while the sun shines?)
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #3 on: 03 June, 2015, 07:21:24 am »
Back in the groove.  With better weather do you think we'll see trips as far as the Welsh border (Making Hay while the sun shines?)

would be nice if he did but doubt he`ll be crossing the border as there be hills, and more hills (as The Cambrian perms so well demonstrate  ;) ) and maybe even dragons ;D But a trip from Chepstow > Abergavenny > Hay > Hereford >Gloucester / Chepstow could be a pleasant alternative to middle England shire
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4 on: 03 June, 2015, 07:45:24 am »
Wish I had a tenth of his oomph. This weekend's 600 is giving me the willies.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 03 June, 2015, 08:06:19 am »
Go Steve!
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6 on: 03 June, 2015, 08:23:58 am »

would be nice if he did but doubt he`ll be crossing the border as there be hills, and more hills (as The Cambrian perms so well demonstrate  ;) ) and maybe even dragons ;D But a trip from Chepstow > Abergavenny > Hay > Hereford >Gloucester / Chepstow could be a pleasant alternative to middle England shire

Abergavenny - Hay involves the highest road in Wales!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #7 on: 03 June, 2015, 08:40:27 am »

Abergavenny - Hay involves the highest road in Wales!

Yes you are correct (and it pips Bwlch Y groes which many think is highest by just a few metres)  ;D
ONLY if you go via Gospel Pass; you could go rather indirectly via Pengenffordd a gentle 4 % incline and then down Wye valley via Talgarth or go via Golden valley after heading out to Pontrilas
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #8 on: 03 June, 2015, 08:47:24 am »
I was involved in a discussion with a regular Wiki contributor over this issue and he eventually conceded that the Gospel Pass is higher than Bwlch y Groes. Wiki is still not consistent though:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest_paved_roads_in_Europe_by_country
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #9 on: 03 June, 2015, 08:56:31 am »
I chose Hay as Steve has been to the Tewkesbury/Worcester area a few times and its possible to do flat fast roads across to Ledbury, around Hereford and across to Hay but to get much further west means inevitable hills.

I never use Gospel Pass on the Cambrian series rides but go through Longtown and across the shoulder of the Black Mountain.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #10 on: 03 June, 2015, 09:39:25 am »
Go Steve!
Rebecca

2013 custom Enigma Etape
2010 Surly Cross Check
1978 Puch Princess mixte
2012 bespoke Brompton S8L

velovoice.blogspot.co.uk/
@velovoice

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #11 on: 03 June, 2015, 01:46:07 pm »
Much nicer day for it.  I can actually hear the kiddiewinks in the skool playground over the road as:
  • they are not confined to barracks lest a Mighty Rushing Wind blows them all to Edmonton, and
  • there is no Mighty Rushing Wind to drown out their cheery urchineqsue cries
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #12 on: 03 June, 2015, 06:58:59 pm »
162 miles according to Ivan's whatsit. So far. It's seven in the evening.  Amazing.

Go Steve.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

red marley

« Reply #13 on: 03 June, 2015, 08:25:45 pm »
He's been making a bee line to MK from Lowestoft all day. Finally arrives and then does a Crazy Ivan heading off to the NW. Who know when he'll stop?

Chris S

« Reply #14 on: 03 June, 2015, 08:43:20 pm »
He's been making a bee line to MK from Lowestoft all day. Finally arrives and then does a Crazy Ivan heading off to the NW. Who know when he'll stop?

It's a gorgeous evening. Warm, slightly humid, light winds. I can ride forever in these kind of conditions...

« Reply #15 on: 03 June, 2015, 09:15:00 pm »

And that hill up to Cranfield is not what you want after 180 miles.

Derek

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #16 on: 03 June, 2015, 09:47:52 pm »
Route is up. Another 341 km/212 miles in the bank :)

Go Steve! :D
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #17 on: 03 June, 2015, 09:52:16 pm »
Nice to see
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #18 on: 03 June, 2015, 11:05:34 pm »
yes ! Great stuff TG