Author Topic: The Buzzard 2015  (Read 2138 times)

The Buzzard 2015
« on: 10 May, 2015, 05:07:32 pm »
Giving serious thought to signing-up for The Buzzard 2015 as my first 600 and to complete my first SR. Have read the posts from previous years so don't need any convincing re. how great a ride this will be.

My question - having missed out on two rides already this year that sold out before I registered, is this likely to be a problem with this one?  Family / work / etc. issues mean that by committing too early I risk being a DNS.
Eddington Number = 132

Re: The Buzzard 2015
« Reply #1 on: 10 May, 2015, 06:11:26 pm »
I doubt you'd be the only DNS if that's how it turns out.
Given the price no doubt there will already be a number who have entered as a 'second chance' 600 to safeguard their PBP qualification, just in case they should DNF an earlier one.

« Reply #2 on: 10 May, 2015, 09:20:43 pm »
It's 'X' rated, so no facilities to overwhelm and no limit on numbers. I suspect the large number so far will be reduced on the day.

« Reply #3 on: 10 June, 2015, 01:54:03 pm »
The Buzzard 2015 routesheet has been updated and information sent by email to all entrants. I shall not be able to accept entries on the day.

Routesheet and gps can be found here: http://www.ukcyclist.co.uk/audax-events/the-buzzard-600

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
« Reply #4 on: 11 June, 2015, 09:53:48 pm »
For parking at the station over the weekend try the page below for an £11 E-ticket to cover the period of the ride.

http://www.londonmidlandparking.com/carpark.asp?day=6/11/2015&station_id=511

At your own risk - check my interpretation but it looks like it covers from Friday evening to Monday morning - no physical ticket displayed. Check it out for yourselves.

D

« Reply #5 on: 14 June, 2015, 09:20:19 am »
I doubt you'd be the only DNS if that's how it turns out.
Given the price no doubt there will already be a number who have entered as a 'second chance' 600 to safeguard their PBP qualification, just in case they should DNF an earlier one.
Guilty as charged!

After deciding I didn't fancy PBP, I decided to do 2 600k, but since I did the A&S 400 as a 600 by riding to and from the start and Flatlands as a 700k by doing the same with it, I'm already there.

Since I messed up last year on getting to the start, I feel I owe this ride, but logistics of getting there are problematic for me so I'll probably pass  :'(

I hope all those who do turn out have a great ride!

« Reply #6 on: 19 June, 2015, 06:33:42 pm »
Ultra-quiet thread. Presumably this means a fairly low entry, but I'm really looking forward to this one personally - my first attempt at a 600 and if successful my first completed SR. Will be on the 05:34 out of Euston looking out for friendly faces.
Eddington Number = 132

parkysouthlondon

• PBP (11,15,19,23), 1001Miglia (2021), TCRNo8(2022)
    • SWRC FB
« Reply #7 on: 19 June, 2015, 09:22:23 pm »
I'm getting everything ready for an early start.
I'm looking forward to a nice weekend of cycling. ;D
South Western Road Club
2024 events    Tour Divide USA

« Reply #8 on: 19 June, 2015, 09:36:33 pm »
I'm nervously working out what to pack and what to leave behind.  It looks like being quite wet on Saturday afternoon.

parkysouthlondon

• PBP (11,15,19,23), 1001Miglia (2021), TCRNo8(2022)
    • SWRC FB
« Reply #9 on: 19 June, 2015, 09:56:18 pm »
Take a rain jacket and plenty of foodie snacks.
Check your bike tyres for flints and flick them out.
It won't rain all day so a saddle bag to put all your wet weather gear in is a good idea.
Get to the start in plenty of time for faffing, and a chat.
Remember to charge your GPS.
South Western Road Club
2024 events    Tour Divide USA

Smeth

« Reply #10 on: 19 June, 2015, 10:16:55 pm »
It's personal but clothes-wise I'm taking spring day gear( bibshorts, base, s/s top) plus arm and leg warmers, lightest waterproof and hi-viz gilet. I'll probably stick the thin overshoes in. I'm taking a spare t shirt, shorts and socks so I can always add the t shirt for another layer. (That's really for PBP practice). We'll have a few showers and a mild night by the looks. I take a large freezer bag to compress some of the dry stuff and put wet stuff in.

See you at the station

« Reply #11 on: 19 June, 2015, 10:26:38 pm »
86 entries and 20 confirmed DNSes.  I wonder how many will turn up tomorrow.

« Reply #12 on: 22 June, 2015, 12:11:40 pm »
Reflections the morning after, as a first time 600-er.

Half a dozen or so major climbs which I really enjoyed, especially the climbs out of Chard and Bath, but boy those interminable rolling hills on the stages into Sherborne, Cirencester and Brackley are energy-sapping will-destroying fiends - The Buzzard may not look like a climbing challenge on paper but it belies its difficulty.

All in all a great route with a good mix of fast roads and quiet by-ways. The only quibble, and it really is a minor one given that I'm talking about no more than 1% of the entire route, was that Bath was way, way too intricate, and that 30%+ narrow descent is too dangerous on a fully-loaded bike.

There may only have been 30-40 of us but you couldn't have hand-picked a more friendly and supportive group - hope to see you all again on future rides.

Still no feeling in some of my right hand and right foot, and my "saddle area" more than a little sore today, but hopefully these are one or two day phenomena.

And I now know what it's like to ride a 600. The brain-frying aspect of the challenge of riding close to 40hrs without sleep was something I didn't expect. Mid-afternoon day two I bizarrely forgot how to tell time, and was convinced it was approx. 5pm so that I was going to miss the cut. I was then bemused and confused when my receipt at the next control said it was only 13:30. At least I'll know to expect this next time I ride a 600.

So, thank you to Ian H, thank you to everyone else who had a hand in organising, and thank you to everyone who helped cheer me up and lift my spirits along the way: with apologies to those whose names either I never asked or have forgotten overnight - Derbyshire guy, Irish Jersey guy, Adam, Adam's co-rider on the final stage and SWRC guy.
Eddington Number = 132

Smeth

« Reply #13 on: 22 June, 2015, 02:05:30 pm »
Thanks again Ian, and for a good ride, the company for a few miles and later in the pub/curry house. David (North Essex) glad to hear you got round not long after me and sounds like you solved your accommodation issue. Parky - thanks for leaving me to twiddle climbing out of Bath - I needed to be left! - and the subsequent chat later as we wafted towards Malmesbury with a well deserved tailwind.
David - New Forest and Wessex CTC

« Reply #14 on: 23 June, 2015, 09:22:23 am »
The results are up on the AUK site, complete with ACP numbers.  That was quick!

« Reply #15 on: 25 June, 2015, 06:58:48 pm »
Thanks for organising Ian
---

I was drafting a ride report, but it came out all sulky, so here's the shortened version.  As I had a 200,300 and 400 under my belt (+2 failed 200s and one failed 600), decided to sign up to this at the very last minute, while drinking at the Wibbas pub on the Thursday night.  Had my usual insomnia on Friday night, and then a train was cancelled so I started 15 minutes late (though not quite the last starter) so my fate was sealed. 

I really did enjoy the ride, but I was out of time before I got to Exeter (half way) so after a good snooze in the services, I cycled on to Taunton, and then caught the train to London. 

Sherborne** was my final undoing.  At quarter to 10 there is nothing open except pubs and restaurants, so after riding around for a bit, finally resigned myself to getting a ATM receipt.  I did pass a kebab shop as entered town, but by the time I had realised that was the only thing open, I didn't have the heart to go back to it.   Ironically, I missed a turn just after I left the town, and stumbled across the perfect audax petrol station/mini supermarket which had everything I needed.    But the stop in total was about 50 minutes, without even sitting down, so I was done then. Ended up sleeping on the grass somewhere and the toodling into Exeter. 

Weird nostalgia passing the Fovant Badges.  My recently deceased father was in the Australian Army, so the rising sun badge touched me.

**though with only 3 hours sleep if it hadn't been Sherborne it would have been Exeter or Wells.

« Reply #16 on: 25 June, 2015, 07:30:05 pm »
The figures for the event are: 86 entries; 32 starters; 28 finishers.

I thought I'd be lucky to get over 40 starting, given that for many it was an 'insurance' event.

It's a shame for those who didn't get the qualifying series, but the dice fall that way sometimes.  Better luck next time.

Thanks to everyone who turned up, and also to those who were kind enough to let me know in advance that they weren't riding.

« Reply #17 on: 25 June, 2015, 10:34:01 pm »
Nice to see that Noel McNamara has qualified after his problems on the K&SW and the Pendle.