Author Topic: [HAMR] Stepping down as Steve's money man  (Read 5389 times)

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
[HAMR] Stepping down as Steve's money man
« on: 07 September, 2015, 10:15:25 am »
For personal reasons I am stepping down from the team now.

However I feel that i need to provide Steve's donors and supporters with some information on the financial position - so here goes..

As far as i can judge - given the incredible support that has been forthcoming, Steve has sufficient cash in hand together with the  forward standing orders  to make it unlikely that there will need to be an extra appeal for support during 2016.

I am actually transferring a large sum of money to Steve's personal account on 14th sept and I will also transfer the balance of all incoming standing orders on a regular basis ( ie at the beginning of each calendar month)

Roger

I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Stepping down as Steve's money man
« Reply #1 on: 07 September, 2015, 10:28:21 am »
I am sorry to hear that, as you were a significant asset to Steve's team.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #2 on: 07 September, 2015, 10:31:33 am »
So long and thanks for all the fish good work.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #3 on: 07 September, 2015, 11:12:53 am »
I am sorry to hear that, as you were a significant asset to Steve's team.

Totally agreed and thank you for your steady hand on the tiller!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #4 on: 07 September, 2015, 02:50:52 pm »
Thanks for stepping in and passing on the information. I assume all further donations will be gratefully received even if funds are currently sufficient.

« Reply #5 on: 07 September, 2015, 04:00:12 pm »
Add my thanks to the list of those who have shown their appreciation for Roger's contribution.

His hand on the money tiller was one of the reasons I was content to contribute.

In the absence of information to the contrary - or any information as usual - it seems to me the 'team' is severely depleted.

It could be a hard winter for Steve if he is alone on the bike, and doesn't have plenty of practical support off it.

Let's hope I'm wrong on both counts.

« Reply #6 on: 07 September, 2015, 04:31:04 pm »
+1. Not only did Roger do a fantastic job of ensuring the smooth running of the finances - he was also often the only one of the team to keep us informed about what was going on with TG's challenge in general (often when there was deafening silence from any other source).

The sound of one pannier flapping

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #7 on: 07 September, 2015, 07:22:00 pm »
Initially the team was very suspicious of YACF and sometimes I got a right b*ll*cking for posting information  on here.
Any information about Steve's performance progress or projections  was perceived as being helpful to Kurt.
The position has improved but still falls short of the way that I would choose to keep donors and supporters informed of what is going on.

« Reply #8 on: 07 September, 2015, 08:14:52 pm »
Initially the team was very suspicious of YACF and sometimes I got a right b*ll*cking for posting information  on here.
Any information about Steve's performance progress or projections  was perceived as being helpful to Kurt.
The position has improved but still falls short of the way that I would choose to keep donors and supporters informed of what is going on.

That is a great pity; recall Sir Chris Hoy that he only focussed on what HE could do, so long as Steve is trying his hardest, which I`m sure he is, he cannot affect how his `opponent` Kurt is doing so what`s the problem with updates? each can only humanly do what each can do, does knowing what the other is doing really make it possible for either to do more?
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #9 on: 07 September, 2015, 08:24:28 pm »
Many thanks, and well done for all you have put into the 1YTT project, Fidgetbuzz.  :thumbsup:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #10 on: 07 September, 2015, 08:36:53 pm »
Yes, thanks for what you have done.  Good effort.  :thumbsup:
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #11 on: 07 September, 2015, 09:46:37 pm »
I'll add my thanks, Roger. Excellent work, and I am sure Steve appreciates it greatly.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #12 on: 07 September, 2015, 09:48:16 pm »
That is a great pity; recall Sir Chris Hoy that he only focussed on what HE could do, so long as Steve is trying his hardest, which I`m sure he is, he cannot affect how his `opponent` Kurt is doing so what`s the problem with updates? each can only humanly do what each can do, does knowing what the other is doing really make it possible for either to do more?

quick look at the team, the only member that looks to compete at a serious level is Hoppo, he's a tester, they don't like sharing info

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #13 on: 07 September, 2015, 10:54:57 pm »
Sorry to hear you're going, Roger. As far as I'm aware, apart from Steve's own contributions here, you're the only one of the team that's told us what's going on. I can't imagine that your departure will improve things in that respect, and that's a pity. Still, here's hoping that Steve will be able to carry on without being distracted by the changes afoot in the team.

« Reply #14 on: 07 September, 2015, 11:47:16 pm »
Thank you for your efforts (and a couple of personal PMs responding to my queries). Are you still able to act as the (unofficial) YACF PR man for Steve? Given how valuable and informative that service has been.

Either way , thanks

Chris

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #15 on: 08 September, 2015, 12:13:55 am »
I really am stepping right away from the team -- so will not have any access to information that I could share with you.

So sorry - unless you make protests that it is your cash and support that is making the attempt  possible so why are you being kept "uninformed " then I think there will be little change in information provision.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #16 on: 08 September, 2015, 03:14:21 am »
Thank you Fidgetbuzz for putting everything in place and for your good grace in handling everything.  Its good to hear that Steve is in financial good shape for the extension to his challenge and I shall rest easy accordingly. 
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #17 on: 08 September, 2015, 08:45:51 am »
The 'team', really do need to understand how important good PR is.

Steve's efforts are without parallel, but for supporters, many of us who are no doubt Audax members, we would like to be kept up to date.

I would however like to thank Jo and Ivan for their daily charts and maps, and to you for the money management and for keeping us up to date so far.

« Reply #18 on: 08 September, 2015, 09:01:40 am »
I think you made a huge contribution, not just by providing news, but also assuring those of us who are regular financial supporters that the funds were being sensibly held and used.
IMO the team need to acknowledge that many of the SO's will have been set up for 12 months, so without good communications, Steve's income for 2016 progress may be limited.
Mike

« Reply #19 on: 08 September, 2015, 09:02:32 am »
Thoughts about the team's general handling of the challenge, especially publicity, is probably best left for another thread - possibly "Current thoughts on the record attempt?" - so it doesn't detract from an opportunity for people to thank Roger for his great work.

It's completely understandable that people who signed up for a 12-month commitment now feel unable to extend that for another 8 months.  Once again, thanks Roger!
The sound of one pannier flapping

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #20 on: 08 September, 2015, 09:32:42 am »
My "guess" at the forward financial position for 2016 did not include any standing orders continuing after December - although I suspect that there will be some -- but how many and how large is impossible to "guess".  But the current cash in hand and the standing orders to end 2015 should be enough to see Steve thru to August 2016. You will not be surprised to know that Steve's daily expenditure is actually quite modest, really just food -- and he does not go for caviare and champagne.

I have said often before -- the support from individuals has been amazing -- Steve is a guy that has inspired many people to contribute and this actually made my task almost trivial - I thought I was in for hard work trying to find the cash to support the attempts -- but it did not turn out like that at all.

When it comes to standing orders turning up in my Steve account in 2016 -- I will of course continue to transfer them to steves current account -- BUT I will also try to make sure that I contact each of these donors to check that they are deliberately continuing their standing order -- I would quite like to see these standing orders stop or get redirected to Steves own account.  But trying to get people to redirect NOW is just not worth the confusion that would be caused by some doing it , and some not switching over -- it is pretty easy for me to make transfers of the account balance once a month

« Reply #21 on: 08 September, 2015, 11:38:18 am »
Roger,

Any chance of a link to where new donors or occasional donors should now send the money?

Do you know if Steve/The team plan on having another 'named person' to handle queries on this important side of things?

LMT

« Reply #22 on: 08 September, 2015, 12:38:47 pm »

That's just daft, regarding Steve's performance and projections, you could work this out with what is on the UMCA website and a spreadsheet.

And compared to Kurt the amount of info available is poor. I wish you all the best FB despite our past differences.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #23 on: 08 September, 2015, 01:23:13 pm »
Initially some of the team were very suspicious of YACF

FTFY.

You've played an invaluable part in Steve's attempt and thanks hugely.

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #24 on: 08 September, 2015, 02:07:16 pm »
Roger,

Any chance of a link to where new donors or occasional donors should now send the money?

Do you know if Steve/The team plan on having another 'named person' to handle queries on this important side of things?

I have had no conversations or e-mail exchanges with the Crew Chief for maybe as long as 2 months. I very much doubt that any effort will be made to find a new "money man". Donors are donating to Steve - and that is where  the money is going to end up now. i thought that I was going to be part of a fund raising exercise -- but that no longer seems necessary.

it is not appropriate for me to broadcast Steves personal bank account details - so I would suggest that using the Paypal link is the best way to make ongoing or new donations http://oneyeartimetrial.org.uk/donate.