Author Topic: Altered Carbon  (Read 1986 times)

Altered Carbon
« on: 20 January, 2016, 10:18:30 pm »
http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-classic-cyberpunk-novel-altered-carbon-is-becoming-1754048539

Netflix to make a 10 part adaptation of Richard Morgan's Altered Carbon.   Should be gentle family viewing..... :demon:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Re: Altered Carbon
« Reply #1 on: 21 January, 2016, 08:26:32 am »
I'm not sure I'd call it 'classic' cyberpunk.

Body-switching will make the casting interesting. I wonder how they'll handle it.

AAARGHH. I've just read this summary

If he can solve a single murder in a world where technology has made death nearly obsolete, he’ll get a chance at a new life on Earth.

What utter bollocks. That's already a complete rewrite. His partner in crime, whom he loves, is being held in 'storage'. He is blackmailed (by threats against what will be done to her) into the work on Earth, not offered a new life there.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #2 on: 21 January, 2016, 10:20:15 am »
And anyway, as everybody knows "A new life awaits you in the off-world colonies".

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #3 on: 21 January, 2016, 10:25:38 am »
And anyway, as everybody knows "A new life awaits you in the off-world colonies".
Except in The Marching Morons...
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #4 on: 23 January, 2016, 09:17:28 pm »
http://www.richardkmorgan.com/news-and-blog/

Morgan's comments on the project.   

If you scroll down a bit there are excerpts from what appears to be a new book in the Black Man universe.

« Reply #5 on: 07 December, 2017, 12:26:23 am »
http://ew.com/tv/2017/12/04/altered-carbon-trailer-netflix/

Trailer & images.

WTF ? Kovacs was trained by Quell (Hamilton star Renee Elise Goldsberry), the leader of the Envoys — elite interstellar warriors, trained in the ways of intuition, combat, and survival…   

Quellcrist Falconer was not a Protectorate goon....  >:(  http://www.gutenberg.us/articles/quellcrist_falconer

« Reply #6 on: 07 December, 2017, 12:37:32 am »
Pretty stoked about this.

« Reply #7 on: 03 February, 2018, 11:03:41 pm »
Watched first episode. Hmm cautious 'not bad' so far. I doubt it will be a big hit, too confusing, but fans of the book will like it.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

« Reply #8 on: 04 February, 2018, 06:33:20 pm »
I confess to reading the books and struggling somewhat to follow the plot at times (it didn't seem particularly sophisticated just a bit squirrelly for the hell of it, leastways as I remember them). I'm not a fan of slavish adherence to the books, the ways things work in prose and on screen are different, that being the difference that a good screenwriter makes and why the authors themselves generally make the worst screenwriters. Anyway, it's on my list to watch.

« Reply #9 on: 04 February, 2018, 11:21:01 pm »
I mostly enjoyed it, though some of the changes from the books seemed a bit pointless. Quell worked much better as a source of pithy-cynical epithets than as spirit guide; in fact I'd have cut most of the uprising bits, including episode 8. Joel Kinnaman was a bit blank for my taste, and Rei's character was mainly annoying, but the rest of the cast were excellent - Ortega and Poe were particular favourites. As Andrew said, making Envoys Quellist spec ops was a WTF if you'd read the book - the point is that Kovacs was trained in all these skills in the service of a nasty authoritarian protectorate, which used them for repression. I am going to have a re-read of the books I've got, though - it's been years since I read them last.

« Reply #10 on: 05 February, 2018, 03:59:45 am »
Yeah, the changing of the Envoys was bad and I did not like the last showdown at all. I agree that Rei was mostly just annoying and it made Kovacs seem kinda pathetic too.
Poe was an excellent realization of the hotel. Enjoyed it until Episode 8, after that I just wanted it to finish. Good start, poor finish.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11 on: 05 February, 2018, 08:06:52 am »
I've tried three times to get through the first episode. Like most US productions it's a rehash of forty other efforts with little to hold the attention. Does it get better, or is the first episode the one meant to grab and hold us riveted to the edges of our seats?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #12 on: 13 February, 2018, 09:56:54 am »
Yeah, the changing of the Envoys was bad and I did not like the last showdown at all. I agree that Rei was mostly just annoying and it made Kovacs seem kinda pathetic too.
Poe was an excellent realization of the hotel. Enjoyed it until Episode 8, after that I just wanted it to finish. Good start, poor finish.
Ditto

Poe was an improvement on the book.
The rest a bit of a wimp out.
It is a definite lead-in for additional series - but using which sleeve? The Kovacs original, or a clone of the Rikers sleeve? Only Kovacs (Will Yun Lee) makes sense but Joel Kinnaman has the acting 'pull power'. tbh, I though Will Yun Lee was pretty good, but Joel did the noir cool thing.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #13 on: 13 February, 2018, 10:18:35 am »
If they base a follow up on "Broken Angels" they'll have some interesting casting choices.   ISTR it takes place on a planet with very high UV levels & everyone is wearing sleeves based on Maori DNA.