Author Topic: Hiking Backpacks - what to look for  (Read 3602 times)

Hiking Backpacks - what to look for
« on: 08 August, 2016, 11:55:38 am »
Having (re)discovered what a revelation it can be leaving the bikes at home and going hiking along the Ridgeway last week We've decided we'd like to do it again. All of our kit for lightweight cycle camping is re-stuffable (new word) into a backpack and can be carried fairly easily.

There is the rub (pun intended). My backpack is a 65 litre, 20 year old not very expensive Millets own brand and as I type I can feel my shoulders twinging. Mrs Trekkers pack was never really designed for the purpose and she is stiffer than me this morning.

So, what do we look for?

I'm thinking we can probably fit our kit into two 50ish litre bags, and that would be easier if we can strap the tent (Nallo 2GT) to the outside in a stuff sack or dry bag. We do carry a Trangia as we prefer to make our own dinners rather than eat rehydrated packet food but I think I can make it all fit.

I've found the Osprey Exos 48 for around £100 but want to go into a shop and try a few on rather than buying online, Cotswold and Blacks have those for around £120 which seems a sensible budget. Neither of us are very tall (I'm 5'4) and my limited research suggests smaller back sizes can reduce volume.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
Re: Hiking Backpacks - what to look for
« Reply #1 on: 08 August, 2016, 12:51:56 pm »
I personally like Osprey packs, and have never needed to use it but have heard very good things about their service/repair stuff.

« Reply #2 on: 08 August, 2016, 01:11:52 pm »
A hip belt that fits you, is, IMO, one of the most important features. Also, the sack must not slop about.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Aushiker

• Cyclist, bushwalker, phottographer (amaturer)
    • Aushiker: Bicycling and Hiking in Western Australia
« Reply #3 on: 08 August, 2016, 01:20:53 pm »
I suggest checking out https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/ for some lightweight options. Handy website which lets you sort on weight.

« Reply #4 on: 08 August, 2016, 08:21:32 pm »
I would go & try some different packs on in a shop, & go in with no firm idea of which pack you will buy, find the one that fits you best & don't worry about which gender it was made for, I know lots of shorter slim men who find the women specific packs a better fit.

I personally would look for one with a seperate bottom section that you can put your sleeping bag in & in the case for my vango 65 litre pack, the trangia & quite a few small items. I also like side pockets to put water bottles & those bits you will want during the day in.

I personally prefer to carry my tent inside the pack, in seperate parts, the poles slide down inside the pack as there is a cutout bit in the corner near the back.

I would also look for something that can be easily adjusted in the field & will not move whilst out & about, the back length on my vango can be change by opening a velcro flap & adjusting 2 buckled straps. I have a cheap pack (think it was Aldi) which I use for train travel & the back length took quite a lot of adjusting to get right it has 4 buckles & straps to adjust & doesn't always stay in the correct position.

« Reply #5 on: 09 August, 2016, 12:47:27 pm »
Love my Lowe Alpine AirZone Pro 35:45. Very comfortable and reasonably light without being silly.

« Reply #6 on: 09 August, 2016, 12:50:20 pm »
there's a huge difference in fit between makes and models.  I spent a wet day in Ambleside trying to find the 'right' 30L bag to fit my back and ended up with something I'd never have considered before.  I'd go to a decent outdoorsy shop and try some on, and ask them to pack some weight inside it too so you can feel how the hip belt sits.

« Reply #7 on: 11 August, 2016, 01:43:27 pm »
I backpack with a 65l millets eurohike own brand and carry the tent inside and the two poles strapped to the outside along with Bonnie's spike to tie her to. The first couple of times I camped I took a stove, pans etc but to save weight and space I left them at home last time and ate out. I carry Bonnie's food in a tupperware container which is the heaviest item but at least it gets lighter every day  :)

« Reply #8 on: 14 October, 2016, 01:18:47 pm »
Update,

We went for Lowe Alpine Airzone Pro 45-55. One each, mine's red and Mrs trekkers is a turquoise colour.

We tried a few on in Cotswolds a couple of weeks ago and would have bought them from there had the assistant been interested - 'yes I know it's quarter past four on a Sunday and you shut in 15 minutes but this was the only time we can come' - they also didn't have the larger size, only the 35-45 so I bought them online. Normally against my principles but their loss.

Anyway they are well made and nice and light, with a good adjustable back. A full test to take place next week as we walk the Sandlings Walk near home over four days to test the packs and our own ability - we normally do this sort of thing by bike

https://www.ldwa.org.uk/ldp/members/show_path.php?path_name=Sandlings+Walk
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9 on: 14 October, 2016, 01:26:05 pm »
I bought Decathlon's Forclaz 70l for carting my cycling kit round the country, and am well pleased:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/forclaz-70l-hiking-rucksack-dark-grey-id_8300839.html
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #10 on: 14 October, 2016, 02:21:55 pm »
My first and current packs are Karrimor; the second, bought when I thought I'd done with backpacking, just a general travel bag that with removable day pack and bum bag.  I could go hiking with it fine when it came to it, but the feeling from the Karrimor ones even when shouldering a heavy pack is a sense of lightness and get-up-and-go.  Maybe if you're carrying 10kg or less this doesn't matter, though.  Be careful it doesn't rub on the shoulders - I have strips of gel saddle cut up for this, could be sewn in permanently.

Also easy access for things you'll need during the day - flask, food etc.  Load the heavy things as low as you can.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #11 on: 07 December, 2016, 02:12:00 pm »

I love my Exped Lightning 60. It's also available in as a 45l version. I've never had a pack that transfers load onto the hips so well. I'm seriously considering getting the 45L version as well for trips when I don't need all the space.

I reviewed it on my blog.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/