Author Topic: Slow Yahoo mail and YouTube  (Read 1045 times)

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
Slow Yahoo mail and YouTube
« on: 10 August, 2019, 08:16:22 am »
In the last couple of days, my YT has slowed to a crawl and it does not seem to load properly.  And, when composing an email in Yahoo Mail, the rate at which letters appear on the screen as I type has slowed to maybe one a second or less - painful.  It's not a problem as I type this thread, so it's application related, not machine related I think.  I've cleared the cache, browsing history, cookies etc, restarted the laptop several times, and also done a full shut down several times.  The machine is running fine as far as I can tell, except for the painful usability of YT and Yahoo Mail.

My Broadband speed seems as normal and no obvious other problems.

Anyone any ideas as to why?  I have AdBlock Plus running but that's not been a problem before.  Not found anything on Google that seems to solve the problem.

Doe it have something to do with the common ownership by Google?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Slow Yahoo mail and YouTube
« Reply #1 on: 10 August, 2019, 08:20:16 am »
Yahoo! Is! Owned! By! Verizon! so Google is probably not a factor.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 10 August, 2019, 09:18:02 am »
Try a different web browser?

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #3 on: 10 August, 2019, 10:04:03 am »
Try a different web browser?
Been using Edge as I have W10, but loaded Chrome.  That seems to be fine - at least YT is.  Many thx.

Except that the default browser font is a lot smaller than the one I was used to so will have to have a look at the settings.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #4 on: 10 August, 2019, 12:47:47 pm »
Switch off JavaScript.  :)

MrsLurker has JS on by default and I hear, far more than, the odd grumble about Yahoo mail's (YM) woeful performance and interface.  I have JS switched off by default with some sites on the "nice" list allowed to use JS and have no speed problems with YM.  Nor do I get the periodic "out of memory" messages that MrsL is subject to when she's using YM.  We both use Opera.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #5 on: 11 August, 2019, 07:55:52 am »
Thx TL - done that. Not sure what JavaScript does, but we'll soon find out.

Changing to Chrome has made a huge difference to YT, and YMail is now fine - it keeps up with my ham-fisted typing.

Edge had been fine, but maybe a surreptitious W10 Upgrade caused the problem - as it seems to do occasionally.  Why can't they leave it alone? If it ain't broke......

EDIT:  Ah, if you turn JavaScript off, YT doesn't load at all.