Author Topic: A year round race?  (Read 4424 times)

A year round race?
« on: 23 January, 2016, 12:47:19 pm »
Now that the year record is back in the real world, it's interesting to wonder how it might evolve.

The minimum qualification would seem to be a 12 hour TT distance of 260 miles. The record isn't incompatible with Audax riding, Kurt bookended his record with 300km Randonees.

I'd like to see a loosely structured race, with six days of Audaxes of around 350-400 km, and a weekly unpaced 12 Hour TT. The aim of the year-long series would be to achieve a new record, but with intermediate prizes along the way.

The Sky 24 hour cycling channel could probably make something of this. There's quite a bit of human interest in filming the supporters.

I knocked up a video from the 2015 Mersey Roads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttdpL-Xr8Z4

Re: A year round race?
« Reply #1 on: 23 January, 2016, 01:19:11 pm »
A sort of long-distance omnium?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2 on: 23 January, 2016, 01:28:13 pm »
An analysis of what made the year record attempt attractive would shape any possible event.

It was interesting to see how Strava moved into the 24 hour. Bruce has been positioning himself as page-filler. At some point it might all coalesce into something with some money in it.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #3 on: 04 February, 2016, 12:06:35 am »
Idly running with this a bit; A year seems quite ambitious.

4 weeks/1 month based along the lines of the 6day races?
~8hrs racing/day; teams. Keep your solo 12hr time trial once/week as the madison/derney event.
Other days could be split up. two-ups, shorter solo rides (25m TT's for points?)  long distance TTTs, bonuses for every xkm gained per day.

??? beginning to sound like an (amateur) variation on at GT ???

Would be difficult to globalise it. Validation of rides the major factor, also matching racing times to prevent pacing advantages: Limit to europe/africa and have everyone racing at times based on CET? split by hemisphere? Ooh scope for franchising...!

I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

« Reply #4 on: 16 May, 2016, 11:39:35 pm »
Ha! I've not seen that footage before. It's got some nice shots of my team and the Aussie flag in it. :)