Author Topic: Best and worst professional team names  (Read 6301 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Best and worst professional team names
« Reply #25 on: 19 September, 2012, 02:22:11 pm »
What about Quickstep? 
Got a bit of impetus but maybe a double edged sword which too easily leads commentators towards 'those dancing on the pedals...' lines.

Quickstep is fine as a team name, has a nice ring to it, as you say, but Omega Pharma-Quickstep is a bit of a mouthful.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #26 on: 19 September, 2012, 09:07:10 pm »
Euskatel Euskadi
<whatever> Big Mat (on a side note, aren't these lot the ones who used to sponsor a team and the team strip looked like a pair of dungarees?)

Both good ones, but on the downside, any team where there are more than 2 main sponsors, and thus more than two names in the team name is just wrong, even Team Node4 Giordana seems too long winded for my liking

Big Mat were originally Big Mat Aubervilliers 93 (IIRC, someone will correct me if Aubervilliers is not dept 93), they were the Aubervilliers branch of a builders merchants chain, thus explaining the strip. They actually had very close links with their local community clubs and amateur teams, sponsoring a sportive where all the team members would accompany the various groups.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #27 on: 19 September, 2012, 10:22:35 pm »
Euskatel Euskadi
<whatever> Big Mat (on a side note, aren't these lot the ones who used to sponsor a team and the team strip looked like a pair of dungarees?)

Castorama?
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #28 on: 20 September, 2012, 07:27:02 am »
Euskatel Euskadi

Castorama?

That's the one, I remember reading about it in Laurent's book but couldn't remember the sponsor's name...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #29 on: 20 September, 2012, 10:15:46 am »
Euskatel Euskadi

Castorama?

Sponsored by a DIY superstore named for a hard working animal. The English equivalent would be 'Beaverama', which could be a special aspect ratio for US films of an adult nature.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #30 on: 20 September, 2012, 10:44:26 am »
I've always wondered if "Euskaltel-Euskadi" is some kind of idiomatic translation of a certain Beatles song. </earworm>

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #31 on: 20 September, 2012, 11:29:34 am »
Motorpoint Marshall's Pasta.

Can't decide whether it belongs in "best" or "worst"... I do smile whenever I hear it though - a name combining car sellers I hadn't heard of before and food makers I hadn't heard of before, so I'd probably lean towards the "best" category.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

fuzzy

« Reply #32 on: 20 September, 2012, 01:15:25 pm »
Simple single word names are good-

Saeco, Lampre, Motrola etc.

I also liked Tommy V's old team Brioches la Boulangere as it conjoured up visions of riding in France and stopping for a pastry and coffee.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #33 on: 20 September, 2012, 08:33:16 pm »
Motorpoint Marshall's Pasta.

Can't decide whether it belongs in "best" or "worst"... I do smile whenever I hear it though - a name combining car sellers I hadn't heard of before and food makers I hadn't heard of before, so I'd probably lean towards the "best" category.
"I'm Motorpoint Marshall and don't you eat my pasta."
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #34 on: 21 September, 2012, 02:33:49 pm »
Team Chicky world
Hmmm. I guess I have to play:
Team Davids Salon
Except that they're not professionals.

Here's their PBP finisher just after crossing the line.

And just after getting her brevet card stamped.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #35 on: 24 September, 2012, 07:27:20 am »
Saxo Bank Tinkoff Bank

Two banks, one that sounds like a tinkle!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk