Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1759641 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #3775 on: 13 March, 2013, 05:21:16 pm »
He's at Debenham, in the ladies underwear section. (I made the last bit up)

« Reply #3776 on: 13 March, 2013, 06:50:39 pm »
He's at Debenham, in the ladies underwear section. (I made the last bit up)

Are you sure you don't mean Debden? Go Huggy!!

Leaving in a minute so will be there 9.30ish

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3777 on: 13 March, 2013, 06:56:04 pm »
No he said Debenham.  When we went there it was shut - the village not the shop.

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #3778 on: 13 March, 2013, 07:19:18 pm »
Sheesh, Debenham is a long way the other side of Ipswich.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #3779 on: 13 March, 2013, 07:38:09 pm »
I'll be leaving in about 5-10 minutes ... huggy is in Sudbury scoffing a Maccy D's
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3780 on: 13 March, 2013, 07:42:01 pm »
He thinks his ETA at The Compasses is 2200hrs.

« Reply #3781 on: 13 March, 2013, 07:44:15 pm »
Sheesh, Debenham is a long way the other side of Ipswich.

I google mapped it earlier and it didn't even feature! Must be the arsehole end of nowhere!

bloomers100

« Reply #3782 on: 14 March, 2013, 07:17:30 am »
What's the sitrep?

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3783 on: 14 March, 2013, 08:23:01 am »
The hero of the hour arrived only a little after expected, looking surprisingly fresh despite the chill winds, skoggy lanes hills etc. Bodes well for the Arrow!

Rehydration supervised by Chief, Christophe, Oaky & me. Oaky also provided the Audax Food of Champions [Curly-Wurlys  :thumbsup:]

Sub-zero ride back to Witham at Midnight, though!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3784 on: 14 March, 2013, 08:32:34 am »
Debenham has an excellent tea room conveniently situated for an 11ses stop on rides commencing at Stowmarket station.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3785 on: 14 March, 2013, 09:09:14 am »
Blimey, just picked this news report up off the interweb!  Early yesterday morning whilst Huggy was being a hero else where in our fair county a natural disaster was occurring.  An appeal has been launched and I think we should all give generously ...

ESSEX HURRICANE APPEAL!!!

A hurricane (Hurricane Shazza) and earthquake measuring 5.8 on the Richter Scale hit Essex in the early hours of Wednesday with its epicentre in Basildon. Victims were seen wandering around aimlessly, muttering "Faaackinell".

The hurricane decimated the area causing almost £30 worth of damage. Several priceless collections of mementos from Majorca and the Costa del Sol were damaged beyond repair. Three areas of historic burnt out cars were disturbed. Many locals were woken well before their Giros arrived.

Essex FM reported that hundreds of residents were confused and bewildered and were still trying to come to terms with the fact that something interesting had happened in Basildon . One resident - Tracy Sharon Smith, a 15-year-old mother of 5 said, "It was such a shock, my little Chardonnay-Mercedes came running into my bedroom crying. My youngest two, Tyler-Morgan and Victoria-Storm slept through it all. I was still shaking when I was skinning up and watching Jeremy Kyle the next morning."

Apparently looting, muggings and car crime were unaffected and carried on as normal.

The British Red Cross has so far managed to ship 4,000 crates of Special Brew to the area to help the stricken locals. Rescue workers are still searching through the rubble and have found large quantities of personal belongings, including benefit books, jewellery from Ratners and Bone China from the Pound shop.

HOW CAN YOU HELP?

This appeal is to raise money for food and clothing parcels for those unfortunate enough to be caught up in this disaster. Clothing is most sought after - items most needed include:
Fila or Burberry baseball caps
Kappa tracksuit tops (his and hers)
Shell suits (female)
White stilettos
White sport socks
Rockport boots
Any other items usually sold in Primark.

Food parcels may be harder to come by but are needed all the same. Required foodstuffs include:
Microwave meals
Tins of baked beans
KFC
Ice cream
Cans of Special Brew.

22p buys a biro for filling in the compensation forms
£2 buys chips, crisps and blue fizzy drinks for a family of nine
£5 buys fags and a lighter to calm the nerves of those affected.

**BREAKING NEWS**

Rescue workers found a girl in the rubble smothered in raspberry alco-pop and were worried she had been badly cut...
"Where are you bleeding from?" they asked,
"Romford" said the girl, "woss that gotta do wiv you?"

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #3786 on: 14 March, 2013, 09:42:44 am »
It was certainly an adventure with only my iPod for company.
Starting out from Broomfield having delivered TCMT-H to work I was happy to find my bike still secure in the bike shed at the Hospital otherwise it could have been a very quick DNS.
The wind fun started immediately riding over to meet Tomsk which slowed progress more than was necessary.  Just before Great Dunmow turning on to the B1256 rolling up behind a black Ka the poor young lady either slipped off the clutch or thought the Corsa in front had gone, either one meant bang-crunch.  Hung around for a few seconds to see if a witness was required but they seemed to be getting on with it ok.
Tomsk greeted me and signed my card for a 9am start - I was off thinking the turn at Saffron Walden would ease the headwind; didn't seem to help as NW ~12mph wind frequently made its presence felt all the way to Walsham-le-Willows reducing road speed and sapping legs, not to mention the lumps in the road Tomsk had put there.
An early lunch was taken at Wally's for the Acton control - beef hotpot was eagerly polished off.

There was some pleasent sunshine during some of the day but passing Lavenham Church I spied a black cloud of biblical proportions in the distance behind it in the general direction I was headed (would have made a good picture with sun lighting the church in the foreground but I wasn't stopping) .  However, for the first time I was glad about the wind because it had moved the cloud on and I skirted around it.
The good fortune wasn't to last for long though as I'm sure I spotted a few flakes of snow, I had, quickly followed by a flurry lasting only a couple of minutes.  A longer snow flurry was experienced later almost turning me as white as my bike, although that was rapidly turning black with road muck.
At a T-junction I took a breather and leaned my steed against a post box, I did try but the bike wouldn't fit in it.

Walsham-le-Willows was acheived and with traditional watering holes closed I controled at Rolfe's Butchers with one of their fine sausage rolls consumed while I admired their own audax bike.

Right, now for the wind to start helping me out, I think it did a little but not noticeably until I got to Debenham.  A newsagent with very friendly proprieters was used to control with a can of Red Bull and cheese & onion crisps.  Wanting to make the most of the remaining daylight I resisted the pubs opening for early evening trade.  Maybe it is true but the first can of Red Bull I've ever had seemed to give my heels wings and I started making proper progress for the first time.
The most part of the next 80km was pretty uneventful, skirting around Needham Market and on to Sudbury, daylight finally gone and temperature definitely reducing.  Not sure when I have been quite so pleased to see a Macdonalds, I usually try to avoid them but the one on the edge of Sudbury looked like an oasis at that particular moment - last control before the finish.  Full shell jacket replaced gilet and the end was almost in sight.
In sight until the batteries gave out on my Hope with 5km to go to The Compasses, quick faffage stop and the final sprint, well sprint may be overstating it somewhat.
22:20 and objective acheived; a good sight to see Tomsk & Oaky welcomed me through the window as I unceremoniously dumped the bike, chief was also dozing there. Christophe arrived even later than me. Great to see you chaps!

A couple of Bishop Nick's Ridley's Rite went down punctuated with an Oaky supplied curly wurly  :thumbsup:

And so to the frosty ride home to properly qualify the MEMWNS claim. A total for the day of 249.3km (154.6 miles) ridden and the bike parked in the shed I creep in to the house so as not to wake TCMT-H, showered and fall in to bed buzzing with the acheivement of a challenging winter ride.

Route can be viewed here
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3787 on: 14 March, 2013, 09:51:36 am »
EPIC!!!

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #3788 on: 14 March, 2013, 10:08:10 am »
p.s. when you talk to people because they're interested in what this strange looking cyclist standing in front of them is doing, why do they assume you're doing it for charity and insist on hearing how much you stand to raise.
Why can't you just be doing it for the hell of it for self challenge and satisfaction?!?

bloomers100

« Reply #3789 on: 14 March, 2013, 11:16:06 am »
Big effort mate, well done. So how much did you raise?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3790 on: 14 March, 2013, 11:17:24 am »

I bet he's got one of those fancy Just Giving pages.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #3791 on: 14 March, 2013, 11:30:41 am »
huggy-fundraising-o-meter -> <--Total so far: 3 curlywurlys

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3792 on: 14 March, 2013, 11:40:02 am »
I bet if he did the Arrow dressed as a reindeer he could collect a fortune in cash.  Just a suggestion.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #3793 on: 14 March, 2013, 11:48:45 am »
I bet if he did the Arrow dressed as a reindeer he could collect a fortune in cash.  Just a suggestion.
The reindeer costume is already allocated to Birthday Boy, and two cyclists dressed as reindeer would just be cheesy  ;D

huggy-fundraising-o-meter -> <--Total so far: 3 curlywurlys
  :thumbsup:

I bet he's got one of those fancy Just Giving pages.
Just Giving to the Easter Arrow Beer Fund  :P

« Reply #3794 on: 14 March, 2013, 01:38:15 pm »
Hats off to Huggy for the epic ride. Massive efort on a day like yesterday.

Turned up late last night feeling tired and cold (again!) Need to quit this work lark. In the end I just wanted my bed so left Oaky and Huggy chatting. Apologies for being unsociable but I was freezing on the way back.

« Reply #3795 on: 14 March, 2013, 08:06:20 pm »
I bet he's got a pair of those fancy Just Giving pants.

:o

Well done Huggy on your adventure to the Compasses, top effort!

Nothing to report on my journey home other than it not taking very long ;D

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3796 on: 14 March, 2013, 09:41:10 pm »
I've made it to The Compasses!  Where are you all?

bloomers100

« Reply #3797 on: 14 March, 2013, 09:44:43 pm »
At home in the warm!

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #3798 on: 14 March, 2013, 10:16:17 pm »
Try the mild - it's very nice, although it comes all the way from Somerset, so you might not approve.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3799 on: 14 March, 2013, 10:43:29 pm »
I had a pint of Adnams Kristel which was excellent!  Home now. 38 miles including TMNH.