Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1718722 times)

Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #225 on: 07 October, 2009, 10:51:25 am »
Don't think anyone's going now are they?

I'm going to the Chelmer CC fashion show instead, you coming?

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #226 on: 07 October, 2009, 11:43:21 am »
Might do, you know how that place depresses me though. What are the club bibshorts like?

« Reply #227 on: 07 October, 2009, 12:00:16 pm »
The design is good, the padding is not great (Impsport), so most folk wear some kind of shorts underneath.

« Reply #228 on: 07 October, 2009, 09:20:55 pm »
Don't think anyone's going now are they?

Mrs Nutty is away.  Nutty can go out boozing.  Nutty has forgotten that today is Wednesday.  Nutty has had a bad bad bad bad bad day at work.  Nutty finds this thread.

Bollox.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #229 on: 07 October, 2009, 10:50:36 pm »
  • 7th Oct - Compasses - Littley Green

Shame, it seems nobody could make that one.

However...

• 14th Oct - Prince of Wales - Stow Maries
  • 21st Oct - Curry place (Queen Victoria) - Dunmow
  • 28th Oct - Swan - Little Totham

I will, barring emergencies (such as getting a job which precludes be getting back in time) be up for all three of the above.  On the 28th, we have my in-laws staying who may be up for babysitting duties, in which case mrs_o may well join us too.

I have, however, also noticed a problem with the (already once-corrected!) list I'd previously published... see below...

• 11th Nov - Queen Victoria - Great Dunmow

This is a repeat of the 21st Oct entry (which was my earlier correction that I edited in --- listed as "curry place" (aka Queen Victoria (aka the Jalsaghar as noted in chief's post)).

So:  does anybody think anywhere was unforgiveably missed from the original list?  I'll edit the original posted list to replace the 11th Nov if there's a good suggestion (unless consensus is that we should visit it twice  ;D).
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #230 on: 12 October, 2009, 10:18:16 am »
Barring accidents, plagues of locusts and general unforeseen circumstance I will be riding out this Wednesday to the Prince of Wales.

However, I am not entirely sure what time I will be setting out as the M25 has to allow me to return home from Epsom and I will also have to to chuck some food down my throat.  Therefore, I may have to meet you there.  Hopefully you won't have drunk all the beer by the time I arrive.

Mr O - I assume you are going, let me know what time you are setting out and I will text you once I know when I am likely to be back in Witham.  I will try to ride down with you if I can but I don't want you waiting around for me.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #231 on: 12 October, 2009, 10:31:25 am »
Mr O - I assume you are going, let me know what time you are setting out and I will text you once I know when I am likely to be back in Witham.  I will try to ride down with you if I can but I don't want you waiting around for me.

I will indeed be riding there Wednesday night.

I'm pretty flexible as regards setting off time - I was originally planning to stick to the pattern and leave at 6:30, but am willing to shift that if there's the possibility of additional company.

The route via Hoe Mill Lock, via Woodham Walter, Woodham Mortimer and Cold Norton is only about 12.5 miles.  (That route is very similar to the Trice-friendly route we used to the Hoop a couple of weeks back).  I'm open to suggestions though.

Anybody else planning to ride from Witham?

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #232 on: 12 October, 2009, 10:35:00 am »
I'm considering joining you for this. What time do you convene?

I'd come out by train and ride home. The 19.48 from Prittlewell gets into North Fambridge at 20.34.

The main stumbling block at this stage is the fact that I've got an annoying cold. The great advantages are that I have no work on a Thursday so could, in theory, spend all Wednesday night riding around rural Essex.

The guy who runs it is a Hull City supporter who used to work at the Crouch Vale brewery.

Edit: my route would take me past the Norton. I would not resist the temptation to give it a try.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #233 on: 12 October, 2009, 10:46:39 am »

I'm pretty flexible as regards setting off time - I was originally planning to stick to the pattern and leave at 6:30, but am willing to shift that if there's the possibility of additional company.

The route via Hoe Mill Lock, via Woodham Walter, Woodham Mortimer and Cold Norton is only about 12.5 miles.  (That route is very similar to the Trice-friendly route we used to the Hoop a couple of weeks back).  I'm open to suggestions though.

OK Mark, I will text you late Wednesday afternoon once I have an idea of when I am likely to be ready to set off.  Are you still on mobile number ending 609?

I have already loaded a route into my Garmin that sounds similar to yours but I am happy to suck your wheel all the way there  :thumbsup:

One further possible complication, this will be Son of Oscar's first trip out with his new transmission.  A quick spin round the block has indicated that all seems to be well but I am packing a dustpan and brush in the Magic Bag TM to sweep up any bits that fall off.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #234 on: 12 October, 2009, 02:03:15 pm »
Well I'm thinking I'll probably come along too, if that doesn't slow you all down dreadfully. I assume, Mark, it's OK to do the procedure as before? A route for the Garmin would be appreciated.

I have an early meeting the following day (9am in Ipswich, yikes) so don't want to be toooooooooooooo late home. Which I suppose means I need to pedal faster really!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #235 on: 12 October, 2009, 02:08:52 pm »
If I do come along on Weds. I won't have eaten. I've just checked with the pub and they serve food until 9.30.

You may have the privilege of watching me eat a large pile of food.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #236 on: 12 October, 2009, 04:24:32 pm »
Well I'm thinking I'll probably come along too, if that doesn't slow you all down dreadfully. I assume, Mark, it's OK to do the procedure as before? A route for the Garmin would be appreciated.

I have an early meeting the following day (9am in Ipswich, yikes) so don't want to be toooooooooooooo late home. Which I suppose means I need to pedal faster really!

Don't worry, he's cycled with me a few times and is getting used to not going everywhere at 70mph.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #237 on: 12 October, 2009, 04:45:26 pm »
Yes but this month my moving average is 10.47 for the 405 miles I've done. Yikes!

I put it down to not eating enough chocolate/cakes and will attempt to rectify that ASAP.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Oscar's dad

« Reply #238 on: 12 October, 2009, 04:55:27 pm »
Yes but this month my moving average is 10.47 for the 405 miles I've done. Yikes!

I put it down to not eating enough chocolate/cakes and will attempt to rectify that ASAP.

Just had a brainwave.  I will get Mr O to carry the Magic Bag TM for me.  That'll slow him down a lot!

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #239 on: 12 October, 2009, 08:21:25 pm »
Just had a brainwave.  I will get Mr O to carry the Magic BagLUGGAGE TM for me.  That'll slow him down a lot!

slow, slow, slow, slow, throw, *splash*, faster, faster, faster

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #240 on: 12 October, 2009, 08:29:18 pm »

Yep - sounds good to me --- I can text you once I get the nod from OD as to his likely arrival time, assuming that it's early enough for you to modify your setting off time if necessary - alternatively, I can provide a cuppa here while we wait for him.

Just pick an appropriately long route and cycle through the night "direct" to Ipswich  ;).  Going via Newmarket or Bury St Edmunds should be about right.  ;D

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #241 on: 12 October, 2009, 08:35:29 pm »
Don't worry, he's cycled with me a few times and is getting used to not going everywhere at 70mph.

And I really don't want to see you cough up another lung :).

Oscar's dad

« Reply #242 on: 13 October, 2009, 07:26:33 am »
Just had a brainwave.  I will get Mr O to carry the Magic BagLUGGAGE TM for me.  That'll slow him down a lot!

slow, slow, slow, slow, throw, *splash*, faster, faster, faster

Just as well the Magic Bag contains a CO2 canister and several inner tubes that can be fashioned into a flotation device.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #243 on: 13 October, 2009, 12:10:17 pm »

OK Mark, I will text you late Wednesday afternoon once I have an idea of when I am likely to be ready to set off.  Are you still on mobile number ending 609?

I certainly am.

I have already loaded a route into my Garmin that sounds similar to yours but I am happy to suck your wheel all the way there  :thumbsup:

My intended route is here - there's a potential short cut lane via a road called "Haggs Hill" near the end.  I remember seeing that and considering photographing the road name sign last time I went past.  I've no idea what the surface etc. is like along there - it looks OK on the satellite, but that's a bit blurry.

Auntie Helen will recognise the first half/two thirds of this as it's identical to our hill-avoidance route to Stock.
One further possible complication, this will be Son of Oscar's first trip out with his new transmission.  A quick spin round the block has indicated that all seems to be well but I am packing a dustpan and brush in the Magic Bag TM to sweep up any bits that fall off.

Unless the rack+LUGGAGE falls off first, that is.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #244 on: 13 October, 2009, 07:23:52 pm »
I think that I can be back in Witham and ready to ride by 1930hrs tomorrow. If that's too late for you chaps then please set off without me. If I am going to be later I will text Mr O and I will see you at the pub.

Mark - where do wanna meet? What about the BP garage / Somerfield by the A12 junction? 

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #245 on: 13 October, 2009, 08:11:13 pm »
I think that I can be back in Witham and ready to ride by 1930hrs tomorrow. If that's too late for you chaps then please set off without me. If I am going to be later I will text Mr O and I will see you at the pub.

Mark - where do wanna meet? What about the BP garage / Somerfield by the A12 junction? 

I was going to set off from here (i.e. my place) ;-)  I'll PM you the address in a minute.

It's not a million miles from the garage you describe, and has the advantage of providing Auntie Helen with somewhere to park :)

Auntie Helen - is 7:30 set off OK for you?  At the pace we did the last run, we should be at the Prince of Wales by approx 8:45 in that case.  That sounds like it'll be close to wowbagger's arrival time too.

Cheers,
Mark

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #246 on: 13 October, 2009, 08:14:03 pm »
Yes, 7:30 works fine for me. I'll be able to bolt down some dinner before I venture out.

I felt a bit dodgy last night but recovered today a little. If I'm überseedy tomorrow evening I'll text you to warn you I'm not coming, but at the moment I'm feeling good. I'll have a busy working day tomorrow so could do with a jaunt to the pub for a nice cup of tea!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #247 on: 13 October, 2009, 08:57:34 pm »
I've not recovered any more quickly than I anticipated so I'm a doubtful at best. I may well send a text at some stage. I have established that food is served until 9.30.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #248 on: 14 October, 2009, 02:31:51 pm »
Definitely won't be there. However, Waitrose has some special offers on a whole range of very good beers at the moment, so I'll be there in spirit (or possibly something a little weaker).

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #249 on: 14 October, 2009, 03:20:22 pm »
GWS wowbagger - hopefully Waitrose's finest medicinal ales will do the trick.

Any other takers for this trip?  If you're planning to ride from Witham and don't already know where I live, please let me know and I'll PM my location to you.

Cheers,
Mark