Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1737091 times)

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #250 on: 14 October, 2009, 03:25:27 pm »
My intended route is here - there's a potential short cut lane via a road called "Haggs Hill" near the end. 

It looks like on the outbound journey, Haggs Hill is a nice downhill section, so I may take that option... Google maps, however, seems to believe that Haggs Hill is a one way street, going uphill only  ???, I don't recall any no entry signs when I last went past.

The shortcut (and the more recumbent-friendly return option along the original route) is here.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #251 on: 14 October, 2009, 03:42:25 pm »
From memory Haggs Hill is one way.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #252 on: 14 October, 2009, 04:28:03 pm »
From memory Haggs Hill is one way.

Cheers nutty,

In that case, my detour is null and void.

Any chance of tempting you to the Prince of Wales tonight?

« Reply #253 on: 14 October, 2009, 04:34:41 pm »
Would love to come, but I'm not getting out of work till after 18:00 at the moment.  That's too late to cycle over there, and I'm not one to sit in the pub and not join in.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #254 on: 14 October, 2009, 05:01:42 pm »
Well my meeting tomorrow morning has been postponed so I can stay out to play with the boys a little longer.

However I have to detour to Braintree on the way to Witham this evening to pick up some stuff. I still plan to be with you at 7:30pm Mark but could quite possibly be earlier if I finish my Braintree detour more quickly than usual.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #255 on: 15 October, 2009, 08:15:51 am »
I got in at 1am this morning having had a most pleasant evening's cycling with Mark Oakden and Oscar's Dad.

After initially surprising Oscar's Dad at my snail-like pace, we soon settled into a nice cycling rhythm wending our way southwards along the back roads between Witham and South Woodham Ferrers. Conversations about sailing, bike fettling etc kept us occupied as Mark Oakden slowly began to freeze in the chill air (he was somewhat underdressed).

The pub was very nice indeed, one of those out-of-the-way places with its own charm. The lighted outside seating area was a good bike storage location and we could keep an eye on our trusty steeds through the window. They had six hand-pumped beers and Mark and OD started on them with alacrity. I had a cup of tea and a rather nice chocolate fudge cake, although had been sorely tempted by the lasagne that the couple on the next table had.

A second tea was consumed, then the kitchen unfortunately finished for the night so I was on water after that. As Oscar's Dad demonstrated the Magic BagTM in all its glory - and I produced a couple of bike parts from my Comprehensive Bike Repair Kit that were in fact missing from the Magic BagTM,  we all settled into some drinking and general chattage. The locals were pretty friendly too.

We left at ten to eleven so quite late and it was chillier. The Haggs Lane hill warmed us up fairly quickly and despite a rather squeaky noise from my chain the night was quiet and I heard several owls over the return journey. We detoured to Nounsley Ford again, which I trundled through as normal, then made our way back to Witham. A quick blast along the A12 for me and I was home in bed by 1pm. Bike is still in the car awaiting reassembling for this morning's outing.

It was very good fun and a lovely pub indeed which I will be happy to visit again.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #256 on: 15 October, 2009, 09:02:19 am »
It was a smashing evening as Helen so eloquently describes.  The return leg was particularly good as the traffic had all but vanished.  Makes you wonder why more people don't do it.

Yesterday was the second outing for my new Hope One front light.  It's effect on on-coming drivers is most gratifying as the light prompts a pronounced "What the fu*k???" effect.  This was made all the more pronounced by my very hi-vis jacket (I look like a traffic cone apparently), Helen's bent trike with it's hi-vis wobbling antenna and Mark's Hope One. 

Roll on next Wednesday!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #257 on: 15 October, 2009, 09:42:21 am »
Is next week's in Dunmow?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #258 on: 15 October, 2009, 09:43:13 am »
A very pleasant, if almost wintry, clear, starry autumn night's cycling.

Having checked the forecast which suggested a relatively brisk, but not too cold, minimum of 9C, I decided to don my legwarmers (first outing since last winter), and put my armwarmers in my jersey pocket for the return run.

Feeling the temperature on a quick walk to the garage and back to fetch the bike, I decided I should be fine in mitts.  This was a mistake.  By the three mile point, my fingers were already starting to feel it.  It became apparent that the temperature was more like 5C or 6C, and I really should've brought my full finger gloves.

Arrival at the pub was more than welcome for finger defrosting, and I wasn't disappointed - a very nice classic pub interior complete with a wood fire and 6 different hand-pull ales on offer greeted us ( ??? Rib, Bateman's Dark Mild, Over the Moon, Hurricane, Firefly Bitter and one other which I didn't spot which ran out shortly after we arrived).

It still took a while before the feeling returned to my fingers, but the pain was soon forgotten in the chat and the beer appreciation.  They even had a jar of Mrs Semolina's Curiously Pickled Eggs.  Auntie Helen had foolishly filled up on chocolate fudge cake, and so didn't feel able to manage a pickled egg.  OD and I partook, of course.

For the return journey, OD's Magic BagTHE LUGGAGETM came to the rescue with a spare pair of long finger gloves to go over my mitts, which made for a much more pleasant ride home. 

I can thoroughly recommend the Prince of Wales - fantastic pub.

(PS - the collection of old signage that decorates the pub also extends into the gents :-

;D)

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #259 on: 15 October, 2009, 09:45:42 am »

It certainly is.  I think I'll break out a copy of the venue list into a separate thread so it's easier to find without trawling through the whole of this thread... I'll edit this reply once I've done that ... one moment...

... done - there is now a separate venues 7/10/2009 -- 9/12/2009 thread.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #260 on: 15 October, 2009, 09:48:52 am »

It certainly is.  I think I'll break out a copy of the venue list into a separate thread so it's easier to find without trawling through the whole of this thread... I'll edit this reply once I've done that ... one moment...

Are you thinking of taking the Flitch Way from Great Notley Country Park to Dunmow?  If so I might use my other bike.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #261 on: 15 October, 2009, 09:54:47 am »
This is tempting: again, the earliest train I can get is the 7.48 from Prittlewell which would get me to Braintree for 8.53. What's your personal cycle route like, OD? Suitable for use after dark? I have upgraded Solidlights, Hope Vision 1 and Cateye at the front.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #262 on: 15 October, 2009, 10:01:56 am »

Are you thinking of taking the Flitch Way from Great Notley Country Park to Dunmow?  If so I might use my other bike.

I was toying with the idea.  It depends on the consensus here.  There will be a preliminary stop in either the Square and Compasses or Queen Annes Castle in order to rendezvous with Tomsk (and possibly chief, if he can make it), but we could go on to the Flitch Way from Gt Notley if everyone has Sustrans-path-capable tyres.  Otherwise, I'm happy to take a route along the lanes instead.  It would be a bit of a hoot to do the Flitch way at night, I think.  (The Flitch way surface isn't too bad, but I don't think I'd do it on 23c slicks).

So far, I think, we have:-

Yes: mark_oakden, Oscar's dad, Tomsk
Possibly: Auntie Helen, wowbagger, chief

Oscar's dad

« Reply #263 on: 15 October, 2009, 10:06:16 am »
This is tempting: again, the earliest train I can get is the 7.48 from Prittlewell which would get me to Braintree for 8.53. What's your personal cycle route like, OD? Suitable for use after dark? I have upgraded Solidlights, Hope Vision 1 and Cateye at the front.

Assuming that Mark is thinking of using the Flitch Way, you getting the train to Braintree would be perfect as the Flitch Way starts from the station car park.  It takes under an hour to ride from Braintree to Dunmow.  The surface would be fine for your Thorn and your lights could cope easily.  Exit off the FW to Dunmow involves walking along a plank over a shallow ditch (we are trying to get Essex County Council to sort this) so a bit of care is needed.

« Reply #264 on: 15 October, 2009, 11:10:01 am »
I'm good for Dunmow. Meet in or near Braintree?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #265 on: 15 October, 2009, 11:53:28 am »
Look what I've just found.  The woman is a goddess but I am slightly disappointed to learn she is called Sarah Drew in real life. 

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #266 on: 15 October, 2009, 03:09:21 pm »
If I do this:

(a) can I do the Flitch way on my trike?
(b) will someone help me walk the plank holding the trike?
(c) am I better off starting at Braintree rather than Witham?

That is all.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #267 on: 15 October, 2009, 03:23:46 pm »
If I do this:

The surface is, in general, very similar to the cycle path you used to bypass Sudbury on the Suffolk Soujourn.  From memory, there is one (downhill) section which is a bit more rough/rutted than that.

The only thing I'm not sure about, is the width of the route.  There are some sections on the latter part that are much narrower than the main  (e.g. near to the crossing of the Road nr Little Dunmow).  I think they should be passable on the Trice, but I don't know for sure.  Also, before the temporary plank bridge, ISTR that there is a foot bridge to cross, which I don't remember the width of.

OD - do you have any recent experience of the Flitch way?

I will try and get out there for a recce, sometime before Wednesday with a particular eye on the width.

If we do go that way then I'll certainly lend a hand.

That is all.

Probably, unless we don't go via the Flitch Way.

I'll bow to our tame Sustrans ranger's opinion on that :)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #268 on: 15 October, 2009, 03:32:40 pm »
If I do this:

That is all.

Answers:
(a) Yes!  The surface is fine and it is wide enough.  There are a few crushes to prevent horses and motorbikes using the FW but we can easily manhandle your trike over / round them (but not whilst you're still on board)
(b) No problem.  It will add to the fun
(c) Possibly.  You can park in the station car park.  It will depend on Mr O's route which has also got to incorporate picking people up from the S&C / St Anne's Castle.  I don't know whether we could axe this part of the plan and arrange to meet else where???

Using the FW would be a giggle.

« Reply #269 on: 15 October, 2009, 03:50:02 pm »
How about meeting at the old Rayne station? There's parking there for Helen, and Mark could approach from the South after passing through Great Leighs / Littley Green. We can then all jolly down the Flitch Way from there.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #270 on: 15 October, 2009, 04:00:56 pm »
How about meeting at the old Rayne station? There's parking there for Helen, and Mark could approach from the South after passing through Great Leighs / Littley Green. We can then all jolly down the Flitch Way from there.

Snot a bad idea  :thumbsup:

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #272 on: 15 October, 2009, 06:33:05 pm »
Sounds cool, a curry appeals, and a curry via a bacon-flapping route is even more interesting.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #273 on: 18 October, 2009, 10:26:35 am »
Regarding this Wednesday's ride.  I have been having a look at the map and if the Queen Victoria /Jalsa Ghar is where I think it is in Great Dunmow NCN Route 16 goes right past it.  We should be able to follow the NCN signs off the Flitch Way.  This assumes no idiot has removed them, as I helped put them up I hopefully remember where to go.

PLEASE NOTE: when we get to the Dunmow end of the Flitch Way the only way off the FW and onto the road is to walk across a wobbly plank that spans a shallow ditch.  Yes the NCN Rangers are aware of this less than ideal piece of civil engineering and yes we are trying to get Essex County Council to sort it out.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #274 on: 19 October, 2009, 10:00:07 pm »
Anybody got any thoughts on the meeting time at Rayne?  I'm flexible at the moment.