Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1759945 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #2050 on: 28 June, 2011, 10:36:47 pm »
Do you always put a wig on before you go for a piss?

A wig can be useful for mopping up drips.

I'd steer clear of the Old Bailey if I were you.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #2051 on: 06 July, 2011, 04:51:31 pm »
Assuming we're all having a mid summer break from MEMWNS rides, unless there is any late interest for this evening.

In any case I'd like to draw your longer term interest (not forward planning at all) this thread which may be of interest  ;)
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #2052 on: 10 July, 2011, 05:42:08 pm »
Barring unforeseen stuff and kidnap by aliens I shall be riding to the Chelmsford Beer Festival this Wednesday evening. I haven't decided on a route yet (North Hill) and don't want to be alte back but wondered if other Mid Week Mid Essexers fancied it (I know Huggy does)???

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #2053 on: 10 July, 2011, 11:31:26 pm »
Barring unforeseen stuff and kidnap by aliens I shall be riding to the Chelmsford Beer Festival this Wednesday evening. I haven't decided on a route yet (North Hill) and don't want to be alte back but wondered if other Mid Week Mid Essexers fancied it (I know Huggy does)???
A chance to exercise your CAMRA membership or make the excellent excuse to join at last!!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2054 on: 10 July, 2011, 11:38:32 pm »

Not quite sure how the random smiley ^^^ occurred!  I put the post on via my BlackBerry - weird  ::-)

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #2055 on: 10 July, 2011, 11:41:16 pm »

Not quite sure how the random smiley ^^^ occurred!  I put the post on via my BlackBerry - weird  ::-)

Three question marks triggers that smiley in the forum software.  That's surprised me more times than it should have.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #2056 on: 11 July, 2011, 09:00:27 am »
I haven't decided on a route yet (North Hill)

How about a route something like this
The usual departure time from Witham is 19:15 from the Jack & Jenny, but I'm open to earlier if it suits others :)
Assuming the usual departure time I guesstimate a 20:45 arrival at Admiral's Park.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2057 on: 11 July, 2011, 10:54:24 am »
I haven't decided on a route yet (North Hill)

How about a route something like this
The usual departure time from Witham is 19:15 from the Jack & Jenny, but I'm open to earlier if it suits others :)
Assuming the usual departure time I guesstimate a 20:45 arrival at Admiral's Park.

Looks fab.  I'm up for an earlier departure as I don't want to be too late back; bright eyes and bushy tails are required for Thursday!

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #2058 on: 11 July, 2011, 07:49:08 pm »
   We'll probably be doing a beer-free ride with boy-racer and other Dunmovians on Wednesday, to get in shape for the DunRun [when beer WILL be consumed!]

Have fun, [we'll steer clear of Chelmsford. ;D]

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2059 on: 11 July, 2011, 08:24:27 pm »
   We'll probably be doing a beer-free ride with boy-racer and other Dunmovians on Wednesday, to get in shape for the DunRun [when beer WILL be consumed!]

Have fun, [we'll steer clear of Chelmsford. ;D]

Beer free riding?  No idea, I will have to Google that one!

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #2060 on: 12 July, 2011, 03:41:30 pm »
I'm up for an earlier departure as I don't want to be too late back; bright eyes and bushy tails are required for Thursday!

I'm happy to depart anytime after about 5:30, just let me know a time and preferred rendezvous point :)

I shall be bringing along my very new CAMRA membership details to discuss on the entry gate with those nice festival officials looking for official cards  :P

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #2061 on: 12 July, 2011, 03:44:59 pm »
mrs_o is out on Wednesday, so I won't be riding.  Once again, i don't think I'm going to be able to make it to the Chelmsford Beer festival (missed it last year too).

(There's a small chance I might go across there for a few by train on Friday night with my Father-in-law in tow).

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #2062 on: 12 July, 2011, 03:49:58 pm »
mrs_o is out on Wednesday, so I won't be riding.  Once again, i don't think I'm going to be able to make it to the Chelmsford Beer festival (missed it last year too).

(There's a small chance I might go across there for a few by train on Friday night with my Father-in-law in tow).

I'm planning to stop off at the beer festival on the way to London on Saturday, if that helps  ;D

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2063 on: 12 July, 2011, 08:37:32 pm »
I'm up for an earlier departure as I don't want to be too late back; bright eyes and bushy tails are required for Thursday!

I'm happy to depart anytime after about 5:30, just let me know a time and preferred rendezvous point :)

I shall be bringing along my very new CAMRA membership details to discuss on the entry gate with those nice festival officials looking for official cards  :P

How about coming round to my place at 6pm?  I too will attempt to forge a CAMRA membership card in time for tomorrow night!

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #2064 on: 12 July, 2011, 11:19:10 pm »
How about coming round to my place at 6pm?  I too will attempt to forge a CAMRA membership card in time for tomorrow night!
:thumbsup:

Apparently you can join on the gate if they don't accept your forged membership card   O:-)

« Reply #2065 on: 13 July, 2011, 06:48:57 pm »
Chaps,

To really get the full CAMRA membership experience I'd suggest not joining it at all before going to a beer festival. Instead, save it for a few weeks later, when having recovered from having a skin full of ale, you receive your CAMRA membership in the post but don't have the slightest memory of actually joining.

You can then sit bemused for a good 10 minutes trying to recollect events while you also wonder how your postie managed to deliver the membership given so much of your name and address was typo'd :facepalm:

chief

PS - I'm not going to be along tonight, please save us some beer if you lot do make it over there!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2066 on: 13 July, 2011, 07:56:17 pm »
We have arrived!

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #2067 on: 13 July, 2011, 08:04:31 pm »
We have arrived!

We saw you and huggy on your way across Witham earlier, as I was delivering mrs_o to the train station.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2068 on: 14 July, 2011, 06:55:22 am »
We have arrived!

We saw you and huggy on your way across Witham earlier, as I was delivering mrs_o to the train station.

^^^ That was us, Witham's answer to Cavendish and Renshaw!

Well, that was a smashing if chilly night.  We both returned safely and sober and I don't think either of us joined CAMRA (though Huggy's credentials got him in free) so chief needn't have worried.

You'll find our route HERE.  And now the beer:

I started with a pint of Red Fox Coggeshall Gold.  Here we see said pint in the loving embrace of The Magic Bag TM ...

Then I spotted a barrel of Heavenly Blonde from the Oldershaw brewery of Grantham, Lincolnshire.  As the devoted husband of a genuine Essex blonde what else could I drink ...?

We had decided that we weren't going to go mad and limit ourselves to a trio of pints so our last pint had to be a good one.  The beer guide was closely studied and I spotted another tribute beer ...

Unfortunately despite being in the guide the beer wasn't available so I made do with some Saffron Blonde from the Saffrom Brewery of Henham, Essex.

Huggy's GPS was playing silly buggers so we opted for a route home through the middle of Chelmsford.  Despite two Hope 1s and two flashing LEDs some stupid (and probably pissed) peds thought fit to step out in front of us.  They got shouted at and I called the bloke a "Twat" as I dodged past him which seemed to upset him  ::-)

Nonetheless we had a top time  :thumbsup:

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #2069 on: 14 July, 2011, 11:51:37 am »
A chilly summer ( ??? ) evening ride, but the chilli helped  :)

My trio of beers started the same as OD with a Red Fox Coggeshall Gold which had a distinct after flavour of refreshing grapefruit, not quite so sure about the lychee described thou!
A Nottingham Legend then followed to wash down the chilli; a pint in honour of upcoming stag event in the town of this sweet & bitter beer.
To finish I went for a Tring Brock Bitter as that was about the only mid-brown bitter within a beer puller's stagger of the bar section at which we were stood: pleasant but not memorable.

The ped that decided that we were not visible enough as we passed the train station and said that we should have lights on must have had his eyes severley affected by 2 x Hope 1's as peds encountered later whinged that our lights were far too bright  :o
Oh well, can't please everyone!

No pics from me, but I do believe that we left some beer for Chief although I am planning a return visit on Saturday as a detour on my way to London Fields  ;)

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #2070 on: 18 July, 2011, 10:08:40 pm »
   Anyone out and about this Weds? My last chance for a couple of weeks due to family hols.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #2071 on: 18 July, 2011, 10:14:22 pm »
I should be good for an outing.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #2072 on: 18 July, 2011, 10:57:19 pm »
I'm in town for a late afternoon/evening meeting so unlikely to be riding this Wednesday.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #2073 on: 19 July, 2011, 07:20:15 pm »
   A return to Braintree? Any other ideas? There should be s few of us coming out from Dunmow - some may not hang around for BEER.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #2074 on: 19 July, 2011, 08:59:01 pm »
   A return to Braintree? Any other ideas? There should be s few of us coming out from Dunmow - some may not hang around for BEER.

A return to Braintree sounds good to me - Wagon and Horses?