Author Topic: Galicja Road Maraton 2012  (Read 1152 times)

mr_brooks

Galicja Road Maraton 2012
« on: 09 June, 2012, 10:58:02 pm »
My club organised our first sportive which took place today. About 150 riders, 110km route, 2500m climbing. Pretty tough.

Pictures
More pictures

Next year we're thinking of offering free accommodation, airport collection and food for a handful of riders from the UK (probably a competition or lottery?), as we want to spread the word about how amazing our region is.

I drew the very short straw of being in charge of children's entertainment during the race. No comment.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Galicja Road Maraton 2012
« Reply #1 on: 10 June, 2012, 12:54:18 am »
No to ciekawe! What was the route?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2 on: 10 June, 2012, 07:55:03 am »
The Lviv-club? I encountered several riders doing an MTB marathon in Galicia when I was touring there a few years ago.

mr_brooks

« Reply #3 on: 10 June, 2012, 08:37:14 am »
I should have included the link to our website:

http://galicjaroadmaraton.pl/

The route was as follows:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/135712238

For a tough route like that I was staggered that the fastest riders averaged 32 km/h.

And the looking after the children wasn't so bad. Face painting, balloons, beat the goalie, mini bike races, "guess the bicycle part" competition. Lots and lots of prizes for them. They seemed to really enjoy it. Having been all grumpy about that part, it did actually give a really good impression for the competitors that we looked after the kids and families as well.

Hot food and showers for everyone at the finish, energy drinks (unlimited), bananas and oranges (unlimited), energy bars and cakes (unlimited). I say unlimited as neither of the two buffets en route or that at the finish ran out of anything. For a first attempt at organising something like this (lots of work!!) we're all pretty happy.

Most importantly the riders all loved it - one or two even taking the microphone during the prize giving to thank us. :-)

« Reply #4 on: 10 June, 2012, 08:39:14 am »
Ah, that part of Galicia ;).

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5 on: 10 June, 2012, 10:30:39 am »
Looks lumpy!

Love the place names; Rdzawa being next to Kamionna (is that physically possible?) and Gnojnik, well...  :D

Ah, that part of Galicia ;).
Hence the spelling!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.