Author Topic: Dauphiné Libéré 2012  (Read 11069 times)

Re: Dauphiné Libéré 2012
« Reply #75 on: 08 June, 2012, 01:42:20 pm »
You can get 66 to 1 on Tony Martin winning the Tour, and about 5 to 1 on a top 6 placing.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #76 on: 08 June, 2012, 01:53:10 pm »
Just for your own amusement, check out how some doctors have moved amongst teams over the years and track the relative performances of the riders.

Yeah, OK, I'll give you that. But I still think the doping thing is a bit of a red herring if you're asking how Indurain was able to win both the Dauphiné and the Tour in the same year.

This is an interesting piece, written on the same theme after Brad won the Dauphiné last year...

http://www.irishpeloton.com/2012/06/is-the-dauphinetour-double-a-realistic-possibility/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=is-the-dauphinetour-double-a-realistic-possibility

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #77 on: 08 June, 2012, 01:58:18 pm »

There's also the question of how much work he has to put in for Cav in the road race...

d.

Methinks there will be a LOT of attacks to cover in that !

« Reply #78 on: 08 June, 2012, 02:02:12 pm »
You can get 66 to 1 on Tony Martin winning the Tour, and about 5 to 1 on a top 6 placing.

They don't look particularly attractive.  He's never done better than 38th in the tour.  Admittedly, in previous tours he's been working for others, but I don't see it being different this year, with Chavanel no 1?  He's just not got enough for the mountains.

« Reply #79 on: 08 June, 2012, 02:07:37 pm »

They don't look particularly attractive.  He's never done better than 38th in the tour.  Admittedly, in previous tours he's been working for others, but I don't see it being different this year, with Chavanel no 1?  He's just not got enough for the mountains.
Today's Dauphine stage may have a bearing on those odds.
http://blogs.bettor.com/Tony-Martin-came-close-to-an-overall-victory-at-the-Criterium-du-Dauphine-2012-a160832

citoyen

« Reply #80 on: 08 June, 2012, 02:12:25 pm »

Will Chavanel be riding as No.1 for the team in the Tour? I do hope so. I'm a big fan of his. He's always been one of the best domestiques in the game, so it would be nice to see if he can step up to become a genuine GC contender.

d.

citoyen

Dauphiné Libéré 2012
« Reply #81 on: 09 June, 2012, 02:43:47 pm »
Unbelievably dominant team performance by Sky today. Scarily reminiscent of US Postal. If they can carry that form into the Tour...

d.

« Reply #82 on: 09 June, 2012, 11:24:23 pm »
Gilbert at 500/1 is a massive price. He may well be working for Cadel, but showed plenty of climbing prowess (and naivety) in the early mountain stages last year after a heavy Spring campaign. His TTing is average, but he is a class act.
#makewattsnotwar

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #83 on: 10 June, 2012, 02:01:00 pm »
The only two other riders to win both Paris-Nice and the Dauphine in the same year were Anquetil and Mercx. Both went on to win the TdF that year.

No rider has ever won Paris-Nice, Romandie and Dauphine in the same year before Wiggo.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #84 on: 10 June, 2012, 04:38:15 pm »
Congrats to Brad.
Putting the Tour aside  for the moment, what a great year he and Team Sky have had so far.

Back to the big one, looking forward to it more than ever in hope and anticipation for Mr. W

#makewattsnotwar

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #85 on: 10 June, 2012, 06:39:48 pm »
What are those mutton chops though? More Noddy Holder than Paul Weller.

« Reply #86 on: 10 June, 2012, 09:12:42 pm »

Today's Dauphine stage may have a bearing on those odds.
http://blogs.bettor.com/Tony-Martin-came-close-to-an-overall-victory-at-the-Criterium-du-Dauphine-2012-a160832

I would be wary about trusting this article; they can't even put Chris Froome in the right team!

aregister

• On entre OK, on sort KO
« Reply #87 on: 11 June, 2012, 11:53:03 am »
Unbelievably dominant team performance by Sky today. Scarily reminiscent of US Postal. If they can carry that form into the Tour...

d.

The French have started calling them "UK Postal".

citoyen

« Reply #88 on: 11 June, 2012, 12:25:47 pm »

Nice. Clearly I'm not the only one to have noticed the similarity then.

d.

Andrew

« Reply #89 on: 11 June, 2012, 03:16:45 pm »
It's not just the French calling them that either. The comparison has been made by many.

« Reply #90 on: 11 June, 2012, 03:22:26 pm »

d.

There is a direct link, with Sean Yates on the staff at Sky, here's a definitive picture of him in Yellow towing Armstrong during his days as a Motorola 'Super Domestique'.