Author Topic: Brussels-Paris-Brussels 600k  (Read 3797 times)

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
Brussels-Paris-Brussels 600k
« on: 23 August, 2015, 12:20:36 pm »
You might like to think of riding this 600k - perhaps for your SR next year or in 2019 as a qualifier for PBP (which is what it was for me). I found it do-able, interesting and reasonably easy to get to. I think it would be a good introduction to audaxes on the continent so if/when you go to do PBP you won’t have extra stress because of the “foreign-ness” of it all, as you’ll already be familiar with some of that.
It's probably an excellent 600k ride for 2018 to allow you to pre-enter PBP 2019.

I post this here so in future years it might help someone decide.

I’m considering it as part of my SR for next year, if I’m not away cycle touring.

The route is from a suburb to the west of Brussels through countryside that rolls rather than has steeps hills, to a motorway junction north of Paris where you sleep in a F1 hotel. The return section was further but much flatter and the last three hours was pan-flat, by a canal on perfect tarmac.

For the hard men among you, I’d suggest this is eminently suitable for “fixie” riders.

Many of the villages were very pretty, and the drivers were much more polite than in the UK.
I thought it astounding how empty the roads and countryside were given that I was riding through some of the most crowded parts of Europe.

For the entry fee of €30 in 2015 you get
a very nice coffee at the start at the cyclists’ cafe,
a water and snack top-up at the “secret” control in the forest, and
half of a F1 hotel room plus
a (small) bag drop.
On your return to Frank’s house there is beer and wine.
plus in 2015 at the arrivee we were given a little paper bag containing very nice chocolates in the style of that little boy pee-ing into the fountain in Brussels

There were about 30 entries in 2015, which was a PBP year. There is a very civilised 8am start on the Saturday and a midnight Sunday cut-off.
The route is available here:

http://www.openrunner.com/index.php?id=4792087

By and large the roads were pretty empty - be aware that you go through some fairly deserted terrain and it’s necessary to carry food. On the second day I ate in a really good Turkish place (vegetarian kebab - recommended by the Belgies riding and it was very good - with chips too!) but think I saw no other places open. (In that respect it’s a bit like PBP where you go for a a few hours and pass nothing open.) For water you just ask at bars, most of which do not sell food. Belgium is the home of cycle racing: they really do understand it.

The first thing you’re going to do if you are interested is Google “audax Brussels-Paris-Brussels” and you’ll probably find this link:
http://cyclinglifeafterlel.blogspot.co.uk/p/bpb-2010.html
which is what persuaded me to enter.

Be aware you can’t take [non-folding] bikes on Eurostar to Brussels, only London-Paris. We used the Dover-Calais ferry, then it was a two hour drive to Brussels. We stayed in the Best Western hotel on the Friday and left the car there until our return on the Sunday night, it was 3k from the arrivee, and a reasonable price. There is a place next to the hotel where we ate on the Friday.
The organiser, Frank Steenput, is one of the nicest blokes you could wish to meet. His email address if you want to be informed is
Frank.Steenput    AT     skynet.be
When I did it there was a group of fast locals who plainly knew the route and were quick enough to have five hours sleep. It’s possible that a faster rider than me could do the whole thing in daylight - in 2015 it was on June 27 so close to the longest day.
(It thus finished on June 28 which was the deadline for PBP qualifying - I made it with five minutes to spare, which was a bit tight.)

Here are links to the hotels nearby:
http://hotels.autogrill.be/hotel/best-western-hotel-brussels-e40groot-bijgaarden
This hotel is at  the E-40 motorway Brussel-Oostende (2,5 km from departure)
http://www.gosset.be/nl/hotel-kamers.asp
This hotel is closer to centre of town  (1 km from departure)
http://www.hotelvictory.be/
Hotel between Groot-Bijgaarden and Brussels (3 km from departure)

You can, if you wish, park opposite the cafe where we started.
Frank told me: “A helmet is obligated.” I had aerobars on the bike - he had no objection.

Details closer to the time will no doubt be posted on
http://www.randonneurs.be/page/home
which is the home page for the Belgian audax club.

One chap took pictures:
https://plus.google.com/photos/+GuyRoefs/albums/6165878070963825729
notice the absence of cars on the roads…….. we were lucky with the weather.

We did it in a “clockwise” year, the first day is slightly undulating and 285k, the second day of 324k was much flatter. The whole thing is 309k (I think), so not overdistance.

Be aware that if this is your PBP 600 qualifier and takes place on June 27, it’s the last possible date and if it goes wrong for some reason you don’t then have an opportunity to enter and ride a fall-back 600k.

If you have any questions, PM me.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Re: Brussels-Paris-Brussels 600k
« Reply #1 on: 23 August, 2015, 12:28:14 pm »
Thanks for the report Martin, sounds interesting. PBP is the only Audax I've ever done outside the UK. Something I plan to change  :thumbsup:

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2 on: 23 August, 2015, 02:53:54 pm »
Frank told me: “A helmet is obligated.”
Anyone know why?
Does Audax-Belgique have a policy on this?  :-\
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #3 on: 23 August, 2015, 03:35:43 pm »
You can book a "normal" bike on the Eurostar from London to Brussels. I did when I rode the Tournai 600 in May/June last year.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4 on: 03 September, 2015, 08:42:08 am »
Yes to Eurostar, you just can't take a normal bike on Thalys. It needs to be bagged and below 90 x 120cm dimensions.

You can also take bikes on the slow InterCity trains, though that doesn't apply until you are on the Continent.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #5 on: 09 October, 2015, 09:54:47 pm »
June 25 next year is the date for this event in the calendar here:
http://files.webklik.nl/user_files/2009_12/85505/BRM%202016/Kalender_2016.pdf

« Reply #6 on: 12 October, 2015, 03:00:45 pm »
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #7 on: 12 October, 2015, 03:05:01 pm »
You have to bag it, which means you probably need to be able to carry the bag on the bike. Personally, I use a bike that packs below 85cm and take it onboard with no charge.

Cycling Daddy

• "We shall have an adventure by and by," said Don Q
« Reply #8 on: 12 October, 2015, 03:09:01 pm »
You have to bag it, which means you probably need to be able to carry the bag on the bike.
There is the CTC poly bag approach http://www.ctc.org.uk/cyclists-library/bikes-public-transport/bikes-air you can then  ditch your bag behind some nearby hedge when you decamp and pick up on return.
L
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #9 on: 12 October, 2015, 03:19:47 pm »
I am interested to hear the experiences of the first person to try this approach after the rule change applies. Petty officials can get quite enthusiastic for a while.

Cycling Daddy

• "We shall have an adventure by and by," said Don Q
« Reply #10 on: 12 October, 2015, 06:17:39 pm »
I am interested to hear the experiences of the first person to try this approach after the rule change applies. Petty officials can get quite enthusiastic for a while.
I have just read the article.  No poly bags and, in essence, no bike boxes either they will be too big.  You will have to use their cardboard box which sounds like it will involve a major mechanical operation.  Probably better to use BA and fly it as luggage.
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #11 on: 12 October, 2015, 08:15:38 pm »
Bugger.

Its now much easier to get from the South of England to Inverness with a bike than to Paris. (although even then its much cheaper if you live in That London. ... Grumble ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #12 on: 12 October, 2015, 10:15:23 pm »
They haven't communicated this new policy very well at all & a PR guy replied to road.cc (update on page) that the Scicon & Evoc bags 'are smaller than the size needed, and will fit in the space, we carry them a lot'. This is despite their reported dimensions being larger than the new Eurostar rules specify. Make up your minds....that said, got my folder on as carry-on four times in May without problems, even though it was technically too big (not by much, but if they'd got a tape measure out..). The bike boxes they'll be using are custom-made and padded. Apart from boxing them, the way it works for full-size bikes is unchanged. Bit longer to get the bike to and fro but it might, might, be perfectly OK. I hope so, I'd rather bring a full-size bike next time I go to Brussels.

« Reply #13 on: 13 October, 2015, 09:38:22 am »
I suspect this is all to do with the introduction of their new fleet - they might be a bit more lenient whilst they still have space on the old trains, and then clamp down once they go.
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #14 on: 13 October, 2015, 09:44:54 am »
I suspect this is all to do with the introduction of their new fleet - they might be a bit more lenient whilst they still have space on the old trains, and then clamp down once they go.
The new e320s are precisely why they've done it, and the older stock is being refurbished as well to the same interior spec, so I imagine they'll have the same luggage arrangements.

« Reply #15 on: 14 October, 2015, 02:12:15 pm »

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #16 on: 14 October, 2015, 02:33:11 pm »
I've sent an email to Eurostar using that link and received a well-drafted reply. I am about to reply to Eurostar with something emphasising that I am looking hard at alternatives, given that Eurostar is no longer easier to deal with than airlines when I have a bike with me.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #17 on: 14 October, 2015, 04:23:45 pm »
The existing provision for cyclists between Paris and London on Eurostar isn't so fab either.

Having paid my money to have my bike travelling on the same service as I was, on the late train from Paris. I arrived at London and went to get my bike from the guards van, only to find that it had been sent on an earlier service and that the Eurostar dispatch office was closed leaving me stranded.

After having a chat with Network Rail, I found out that it was a regular "thing" for people to be left in London late at night unable to get their bikes, because the Eurostar Dispatch staff had gone home after locking the bikes in their office.

« Reply #18 on: 14 October, 2015, 07:45:50 pm »
Eurostar Paris always do that.

Coming back from PBP I specifically raised it with them.  They admitted they planned to send it early, despite me having paid for it to go on my train, as they wanted to put other luggage on my train.

I've complained about it in the past but it ended up with the UK customer service people offering me a free ticket but basically admitting they had a problem with Paris and couldn't get them to stick to the rules.

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #19 on: 22 April, 2016, 11:01:09 pm »
In the end, because of other commitments, I'm looking at this one instead, from Ostend.
http://www.randonneurs.be/page/23
It goes north to Breskens on very flat ground, then back past the start and south to Boulogne on hillier ground. Entry on the line, polite to tell them you're going to take part.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #20 on: 22 April, 2016, 11:07:42 pm »
So, for international super randoneur, does this count as 1 country or two?

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #21 on: 22 April, 2016, 11:13:58 pm »
As it starts in one country and finishes in the same country and is homologated by that county, me thinks it counts as one country for ISR.  Otherwise a very carefully planned 200 could get quite a few in one go!

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #22 on: 22 June, 2016, 08:36:19 pm »
In the end, because of other commitments, I'm looking at this one instead, from Ostend.
http://www.randonneurs.be/page/23
And a very fine event it was, too. 1,500 words in the August edition of Arrivee (I hope).
And we'd happily return next year, and in fact have putative plans for a four bedroom house for a long weekend with some doing a DIY by GPS 600k and others sightseeing.