Author Topic: Permanents  (Read 2218 times)

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Permanents
« on: 12 June, 2016, 01:28:36 pm »
Lots of people document rides they've done as permanents, but they don't show up on the Permanents page of the web site.

Is there a way to find out which calendar events you can do as perms?

Or am I missing something?
Milk please, no sugar.

Re: Permanents
« Reply #1 on: 12 June, 2016, 01:32:32 pm »
a) They might ride the 'calendar' route as a DIY on a different date (eg our Bank Holiday Chase)
b) The Perm might be called something else
c) The search function is a bit pants, as are some of the perm descriptions.

What d'you want to ride (and do you want some company :) )?

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #2 on: 12 June, 2016, 06:20:20 pm »
I don't know fboab, that was why I wanted to browse through what was possible so I could make plans.  Then I was planning to cancel my plans at the last minute out of sheer pathetickness, like I usually do. 

If you wish to keep me company through this process that would, of course, be optimal.
Milk please, no sugar.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #3 on: 12 June, 2016, 06:23:29 pm »
How about these for some ideas? Re-routing to start in Darlington shouldn't be that difficult for a lot of them :)
http://www.vc167.org.uk/index.php?option=com_simplelists&view=simplelist&category_id=23&Itemid=39
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #4 on: 12 June, 2016, 06:54:01 pm »
What part of the UK are you looking for Perms?  There are maps of pin-points of start/finish locations for perms in the Peak Audax area at http://www.delphcyclist.info/permanent.html

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #5 on: 12 June, 2016, 06:55:50 pm »
I'm in the North East of England delphcyclist, but that's a useful resource for another time.  Thank you.
Milk please, no sugar.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #6 on: 12 June, 2016, 06:59:43 pm »
a) They might ride the 'calendar' route as a DIY on a different date (eg our Bank Holiday Chase)

So to do this, you'd contact the organiser and ask if you could do their calendar event as a DIY?

If it was for an event that's already been and gone, how would you find out about it?  Say I wanted to DIY an event that was run in February?
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #7 on: 12 June, 2016, 07:17:20 pm »
You can reset the start and finish dates on the AUK calendar to make it display the period you want, as well as filtering by length.

Go to the calendar page at www.aukweb.net/events rather than just looking at the list on the homepage, which shows the next six weeks.

« Reply #8 on: 12 June, 2016, 07:22:28 pm »
So to do this, you'd contact the organiser and ask if you could do their calendar event as a DIY?
That would be the polite thing. Though generally, if you didn't ask, they'd usually never know. I covered all the bases by inviting him along :)

If it was for an event that's already been and gone, how would you find out about it?  Say I wanted to DIY an event that was run in February?
On the calendar page at the top you can choose a date in the past in the drop down lists:

Click here for all 'Northern' populaires in the last 12 months.

A calendar event might use facilities that don't exist the rest of the time- Breakfast in Muggleswick is much less appealing without Lyn & Anita in the village hall manning the kettle and dishing out pain-au-chocolate, so Perm-ing a calendar event isn't always a good idea.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #9 on: 12 June, 2016, 09:55:24 pm »
fboab you are a star.  Thank you.
Milk please, no sugar.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #10 on: 26 June, 2016, 09:43:26 am »
I think I'll use Audax as a source for nice routes in future and not bother with worrying about speed and stuff.  With the permission of the orgs, naturally, because planning a bike route for other people is labour intensive and worthy of manners and possibly a few quid a time.

This morning I rode ten miles.  In ten miles I rescued a frog, I had a long-ish conversation with a cow, stopped to admire a crop field with the wind in it, and forgot to pedal for a bit because I was thinking about something else.  I am never, ever going to be fast enough to do Audax because I don't ride like that, and I think that's okay.
Milk please, no sugar.

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #11 on: 26 June, 2016, 03:53:04 pm »
On the calendar page at the top you can choose a date in the past in the drop down lists:

Click here for all 'Northern' populaires in the last 12 months.

Oooh, I didn't know you could do that. I've sometimes been interested to look up event details after they've passed.  Ta :thumbsup: