Author Topic: A Rough Diamond 300km Saturday 9th July 2016  (Read 9658 times)

A Rough Diamond 300km Saturday 9th July 2016
« on: 24 June, 2016, 11:02:27 am »
Hope no-one minds me starting this off, it'll be my first attempt at this distance and having read an old thread about this ride I'm really looking forward to it.

JamesBradbury

• The before-ride picture is even worse
    • James Thinks
Re: A Rough Diamond 300km Saturday 9th July 2016
« Reply #1 on: 24 June, 2016, 02:31:57 pm »
I'm told it's a good choice for a first 300,  which is good as I'm bringing my wife on the tandem for her first 300.

She's already stated in no uncertain terms that this is the longest distance she'll contemplate at audax pace. She's quite apprehensive about whether riding into the night will be at all fun, but I hope she enjoys it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

« Reply #2 on: 24 June, 2016, 02:45:50 pm »
As James states this is a good first 300 to do, you'll love it  :thumbsup:
Eddington Number 75

« Reply #3 on: 24 June, 2016, 04:42:54 pm »

I`d echo that sentiment too, James (another one)   ;)

Only thing be aware of is the towpath section and its gates along with the navigational fun of Gloucester docks, City centre (night clubbers depending on what time you`re going thro`) and Cathedral Close but be accurate with route sheet reading / Garmin and you`ll be OK  :thumbsup:
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #4 on: 24 June, 2016, 05:06:46 pm »

I`d echo that sentiment too, James (another one)   ;)

Only thing be aware of is the towpath section and its gates along with the navigational fun of Gloucester docks, City centre (night clubbers depending on what time you`re going thro`) and Cathedral Close but be accurate with route sheet reading / Garmin and you`ll be OK  :thumbsup:

Seriously hope I'll be too early for clubbers!!! Thanks for the tip about towpath etc.

« Reply #5 on: 24 June, 2016, 05:52:09 pm »
It was my first 300 (in 2011)
Spent ages turning that Gloucester section into a GPS track - but in the event was ably guided in an avoiding manoeuvre of the towpath bit by a pair of very experienced loacal AUKs. 
Despite being at the 'full-value' end of the spectrum I almost didn't need lights.  Certainly no 'riding into the night'.

« Reply #6 on: 24 June, 2016, 05:57:50 pm »
She's quite apprehensive about whether riding into the night will be at all fun, but I hope she enjoys it.

I doubt very much she'll find out. I don't think we needed lights.

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #7 on: 24 June, 2016, 07:43:13 pm »
It was my first 300 a couple of years back too, as a Perm. Suffered a little into a strong westerley breeze during the first half but still completed the ride in less than 18 hours which was quite impressive (for me).

Doing the Calendar event this year - looking forward to it very much
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

« Reply #8 on: 24 June, 2016, 08:39:42 pm »
I'm told it's a good choice for a first 300,  which is good as I'm bringing my wife on the tandem for her first 300.

She's quite apprehensive about whether riding into the night will be at all fun, but I hope she enjoys it.

I`ve checked when I finished last year and it was well before dark so I doubt Erica will have any reason to be apprehensive knowing / seeing your pace together eg Cambrian 200  :thumbsup:
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #9 on: 24 June, 2016, 08:48:47 pm »
I think (not that I particularly keep records of the fact) I took less time to get around this than any other 300km event, and that was with a proper food stop at each of the three controls, including a beer at the last.  One of my most enjoyable rides ever.  It was after a layoff having made mincemeat of a finger and then focusing on catering for LEL at Barnard Castle.  Its not that there aren't any hills, but all the hills are fair - you can get up them in a good rhythm.  And the controls were really good too.  Plus it was Goldilocks weather - not too hold, not too cold, just right.  :thumbsup:
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

JamesBradbury

• James Thinks
« Reply #10 on: 24 June, 2016, 09:00:33 pm »
Thanks James. My own estimates put us finishing between 11 and midnight, though we'd hopefully be faster on this route than the hillier ones.

Anyway we'll have good lights and everything, so I expect we'll be fine.

« Reply #11 on: 24 June, 2016, 09:34:01 pm »
I`m sure you`ll be in well before then; flat and fast first 50km, hard pull up after Clifton on Teme, then  120km after Tenbury with gentle hills but fast roads, pull up from Usk over to Chepstow (BC / BCM hill) then almost pan flat along lanes  back after Severn Bridge. My fastest 300 by far  ;D

« Reply #12 on: 25 June, 2016, 12:19:31 pm »
This is all sounding like I'm in for a great day. Would be nice to get round with a decent average speed, looking forward to it even more now.

I did the North Coast 500 (plus a bit extra) in 5 days a few weeks ago so I'm hoping the effects of that will be in my legs.

« Reply #13 on: 30 June, 2016, 10:47:57 am »
That's it, I'm in. Well at least I've paid, just hope I am not too late as I am inside the 2 weeks cut off. Going to use this to gauge how I feel before committing to the National 400. This will be only my second 300 and I know I've a lot to learn.

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #14 on: 01 July, 2016, 08:16:25 pm »
Well I'm in. I'll be hauling all the stuff I intend to use a few weeks later on the Highlands and Islands.
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

JamesBradbury

• James Thinks
« Reply #15 on: 02 July, 2016, 08:08:28 am »
Thanks Mark for the GPS file emailed recently.

I unintentionally woke up early, so I've been through the route to avoid my usual on the day blunders!

There are a couple of places in the first section where the GPS file differs from the routesheet.

34km   LEFT at X, through Wadborough, RIGHT onto Station Rd instead of SO at X past “Teal Turf”
43km   Worcester town centre, RIGHT onto A38, Bath Road and follow A44 instead of cycle path.

Looking at it on RWGPS I preferred the routesheet way, so I've changed it to that.

I also used Streetview to have a look at the canal path. While the surface looks good, the gates look rather unfriendly to tandems. Maybe we could open the 6-bar side gate, but if not, I can't see us wanting to lift it over, so I've re-routed along Bristol Road. I'm also avoiding some of the fiddly Glouscester Docks city centre stuff. We're not good with starting and stopping lots. My route won't be as interesting or scenic, but I think it will be a bit simpler.

Here's my tweaked route for anyone who's interested. I'm hoping it will be good for us, whether it would work for anyone else, is up to you!  ;)

« Reply #16 on: 02 July, 2016, 10:52:49 am »
Mark whens the closing date for online entries

James I like your route for avoiding canal path I went straight up the A38 last year theres not much traffic by that time and quite wide Road section

« Reply #17 on: 02 July, 2016, 11:48:14 am »
Even more tandem-friendly would be to retrace from Slimbridge to the A38, and then left fork onto the Bristol Rd just before Quedgeley.
Like this https://ridewithgps.com/routes/14817014
You need to be fairly 'assertive' in the traffic on that big Westgate roundabout, so if you are not confident mixing it with the cars I'd avoid that bit, otherwise it is probably the quickest & most straightforward route.
I'll have that as an alternative on my GPS and make a decision on the day. 

JamesBradbury

• James Thinks
« Reply #18 on: 02 July, 2016, 10:23:58 pm »
Even more tandem-friendly would be to retrace from Slimbridge to the A38, and then left fork onto the Bristol Rd just before Quedgeley.
Like this https://ridewithgps.com/routes/14817014
You need to be fairly 'assertive' in the traffic on that big Westgate roundabout, so if you are not confident mixing it with the cars I'd avoid that bit, otherwise it is probably the quickest & most straightforward route.
I'll have that as an alternative on my GPS and make a decision on the day.
Thanks, good point. We'll consider that.

« Reply #19 on: 03 July, 2016, 02:32:40 pm »
There are loads of ifs and maybes on the ride, if you wish to take a path that's not on either of the files distributed, that is your choice The points are a couple of differences between routesheet and GPS,  both have been the "official route" at some time in the past, you've paid your money, you can take your own prefered route .............

Out of interest, I've looked at files sent to cyclists, and I'm a bit confused. I'm fully aware that the route sheet follows the A44 through Worcester - it was following comments from past tandem outfits expressing a dismay at the cycle route option. As to there being difference near Wadborough, I'm a bit confused there should be no difference, but not surprised that there might be - A similar issue happened last month. It transpired that the reason then was a result of mapping suite defaults and the user reducing the navigation point-count.

I would strongly advise caution using the Westgate island, it's there (as are all other roads/paths, but avoided following RA). You will be competing with traffic travelling at potentially motorway speeds and trying to cross lanes, but it's your choice* (*which I completely respect). I would add that if it is used, you also have the main inner ring road to navigate as well.

For those that don't have the ego-chase of trying to get their "best 300 time",  the A38/A40 roundabout can be missed if you take the lane through Sandhurst. It will mean that you cover a whole extra kilometre, but it is very peaceful. 

If you've decided to use the A38 for your approach to Gloucester, you might consider ploughing straight up Bristol Road,  and up Southgate street over the cross and down Northgate street. Then left into Worcester street, go straight on at the roundabouts, this will get you on to the A38 out of Gloucester heading north.  BUT PLEASE CHECK the status of Northgate & Southgate streets in the city centre. They are pedestrian zones at certain times of the day. And they are monitored quite stringently.

And finally to answer the most commonly asked question. I've ridden the route and finished comfortably inside twelve hours, but on the first running of the event, I recall that just about everyone sat on my wheel until we got to the Severn bridge crossing (approximately 240km),  I was absolutely shattered by then, and stayed at the last control until 11pm, getting back to arrivee with an hour or so to spare. That ride was very windy, and I was the mobile wind-brake for the day.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #20 on: 03 July, 2016, 04:54:45 pm »
Also a bit of local knowledge for food / drink on big stretch between Tenbury and Talybont on Usk. @ 130 km approx. there`s The Farm Barn cafe at Whitney on Wye which is very pleasant has shop as well as café. And at Clifford Toll Bridge (cycles now free) when I stopped for a coffee (flapjacks, choc bars, ice creams also there) owner mentioned that toilets also around back if needed and there`s a water tap outside toilets, nice helpful chap :thumbsup: In Eardisley there`s The Strand café / pub / bookshop too.

« Reply #21 on: 04 July, 2016, 01:07:43 am »
BUT PLEASE CHECK the status of Northgate & Southgate streets in the city centre. They are pedestrian zones at certain times of the day. And they are monitored quite stringently.
It's no bikes between 10 am and 5 pm, including Sundays.

There's not much point in diverting into the docks; Southgate St is 20 mph limit. If avoiding the pedestrian zones on an A38 route, I'd follow Southgate St round to the left at the top of the hill, then take the next right (Ladybellegate St), follow left down the hill, right on a narrow block paved road (Lower Quay St) opposite the large council car park, right and immediately left onto Archdeacon St, left by the Pelican (good pub), right onto Gouda Way, and more or less immediately take a cycle path/footpath left under the railway onto Dean's Walk. Just after passing the back of Kingsholm rugby ground, take St Mark St onto Kingsholm Rd/A430, turn left and follow to the A38 northwards. If you are avoiding the A40/A38 roundabout, follow Dean's Walk to the end and use the ped Xing to access Sandhurst Lane opposite.

« Reply #22 on: 04 July, 2016, 09:26:34 am »
BUT PLEASE CHECK the status of Northgate & Southgate streets in the city centre. They are pedestrian zones at certain times of the day. And they are monitored quite stringently.
It's no bikes between 10 am and 5 pm, including Sundays.
At 280km from a 6 am start.... no chance of me being there before 5 pm !

hillbilly

« Reply #23 on: 04 July, 2016, 03:58:40 pm »
I'm in. But I'm getting confused by all this talk of alternative routes, having little knowledge of the area.  I think Mark's shown over the years that he has "sound judgement" so will follow his routesheet. 

All assuming I get myself over to the start on Saturday - I'm out of practice with these forced early starts and the idea of staying in bed has a certain appeal (mutters something about recovering from a sore lower back as well).  Time will tell.

Planet X Paul

• The Green Machine
« Reply #24 on: 04 July, 2016, 04:18:23 pm »
I'm in. But I'm getting confused by all this talk of alternative routes, having little knowledge of the area.  I think Mark's shown over the years that he has "sound judgement" so will follow his routesheet. 

All assuming I get myself over to the start on Saturday - I'm out of practice with these forced early starts and the idea of staying in bed has a certain appeal (mutters something about recovering from a sore lower back as well).  Time will tell.

Same here.  I don't know the area.  I can understand tandems not wishing the negotiate awkward gates, but I personally would prefer to avoid those busy and fast roads that others have mentioned.  So I will be happy to take the canal path and the scenic tour around the docks.