Author Topic: Changing those bars...  (Read 3236 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Changing those bars...
« on: 09 April, 2008, 04:40:09 pm »
We've got riser bars on our tandem, which is a kind of hybrid-style model (Dawes 2 Across).  I was thinking of changing for straighter bars, but I went for some bar ends, and that was an improvement.

Now I'm thinking about 'roadifying' the tandem so it'd be more comfortable to tour on.  First thing that occurs would be to swap the bars for some drops - maybe randonneur bars if I can find them.

Is this too radical?  Will I regret reducing the leverage as a trade off for wrist comfort?  Or should I be more radical and think about bullhorns or maybe something like a Midge bar instead?

Suggestions appreciated so I can sit, suck on my Meerschaum in my study and consider...
Getting there...

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Re: Changing those bars...
« Reply #1 on: 09 April, 2008, 04:45:25 pm »
I put Salsa Bell Lap cross 'bars on Margaret Hilda.  Like Midge bars, only less so.  Wider at the bottom than at the top.

Very comfortable  :)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Tim

« Reply #2 on: 09 April, 2008, 04:47:29 pm »
You will probably want wider drops than you would usually ride with, new gear levers and new shifters.

If the bike has V-brakes you'll have to come up with an alternative.

If it has a drag brake you'll need a new control for it.

You will also need to swap the stem to keep the reach correct.

You can get some exceptionally flashy and comfortable bar-ends (you may want to consider a set inboard of the grips as well) for the cost of replacing all of the above.

But if you're going to switch the bars away from flats, just pick the bars you wish to use and do it.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #3 on: 09 April, 2008, 04:48:38 pm »
Is this too radical? 
Mr C, nothing ever seems too radical hereabouts!
We have drops on our tandem (front) and cut-off upside down drops on the back.
No problems with comfort and leverage.

Do you sense a "but" coming?  ::-)

BUT - you might need to factor in what you'd do about brakes and, especially, brake levers. Issa right PITA getting a good combination.

The fact that I'm trying to sell a pair of Dia Compe 287Vs here is totally irrelevant. Oh yes. In fact, I wouldn't recommend them for a tandem. We've gone back to normal road levers and old-fashioned cantis.

EDIT: modified in view of Clarion's post below. Oh, and down tube levers too.
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 09 April, 2008, 04:49:20 pm »
Mmm - they look good.  Bit like randy bars without the rise in the middle (which, while comfy, was a PITA v-a-v light fittings, barbags and the like...

Tempting.

How much were they again?  I think I need to start a shopping list for when I have a salary again (and have paid off my mounting debts *lalala I can't hear you*   :-\ :( :-\ :( :P ).

What about levers for the v-brakes?  Do I have to get those Dia-compe chaps?  Or vould I do something STI-ish to replace the annoying twistgrips?
Getting there...

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #5 on: 09 April, 2008, 04:52:35 pm »

What about levers for the v-brakes?  Do I have to get those Dia-compe chaps? 

Ahem, see above!
Maybe I wasn't setting things up properly, but I just couldn't get the 287V and v brake combo to work well.
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #6 on: 09 April, 2008, 04:53:40 pm »
We have drops on our tandem (an old Dawes supergalaxy) and quite narrow ones at that. They're certainly narrower than the drops on my touring bike.

I don't find that there is insufficient leverage. Even with a full camping load it was alright, but a little hard work at low speed. Having said that...

If we ride the tandem for a long time then I notice the difference coming back to my town bike which has wide straight bars - it takes a few moments not to be very wobbly. I guess that this means that the amount of force required is quite a bit higher. This was especially noticeable after our tandem-camping holiday.

Also, I've never ridden the tandem with anything but drop bars so I can't compare.

Hope that helps...

Dave

ps obviously lots have people have posted while I was writing this ::-)

Chris N

« Reply #7 on: 09 April, 2008, 04:53:55 pm »
Tektro RL520 drop bar V brake levers are great - you're not restricted to Dia-Compe 287V's anymore.  Midge bars are also very comfortable and wide enough to give loads of control.

If it's rando bars you're after, I've got a set of Nitto Randonneurs in the shed that I'm thinking of selling.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: 09 April, 2008, 04:59:43 pm »
How much were they again? 

Moderately spendy, I'm afraid.  If you can get them in the UK, don't expect much change from £50.

I just use Ultegra STIs on M-H with SJS SE cantis.  Not a problem.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #9 on: 10 April, 2008, 08:20:27 am »
Our Dawes came with drops and vee brakes.  These gave awful stopping power and the only consolation was the (now-defunct) disc brake, controlled from the stoke seat.

For this reason, we went the other way and are now running MTB STIs on a straight handle bar.

AC
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...