Author Topic: Bought any camping gear today?  (Read 332024 times)

Re: Bought any camping gear today?
« Reply #150 on: 29 April, 2011, 11:13:59 pm »
After leaving my original on a train last year, I've bought my second Snugpak Travelpak lite.  Feline, these summer bags are very small and light and are excellent quality.  They're mummy bags but you should still look at them.  After all, extra kick space means extra pack size.

Ah cheers, I have been looking at this one which is I think pretty similar. I will go compare pack sizes, since that will be the primary deciding factor in the end I think!
Sleeping Bags - Outdoor -

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #151 on: 01 May, 2011, 08:03:12 am »
The Trangia is a bit big for S24O's so yesterday I got an MSR Pocket Rocket.
a great mind thinks alike

« Reply #152 on: 01 May, 2011, 08:06:11 am »
Got some 100g gas canisters yesterday  for the Jetboil that I got for my birthday. Whoosh !!!! its good :thumbsup:

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #153 on: 02 May, 2011, 03:30:50 pm »
I spent a couple of happy hours in the Decathlon shop in Carhaix last week.  Unfortunately, Mr R was with me, so I was only able to get away with buying a new day rucksack (to replace the one he lost) and a windproof top...

...but he did like the look of a couple of the tents...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #154 on: 02 May, 2011, 08:12:46 pm »
Feline, the Snugpak Travelpak Lite is actually quite roomy for a mummy bag. It also has a built-in mosquito net  :thumbsup:  I used mine out on Dartmoor last weekend with neither tent nor bivvy bag and survived to send this post....

Got mine here for around £25.Bargain...
Snugpak Travelpak LITE  Sleeping Bag Packs TINY SMALL | eBay UK

« Reply #155 on: 02 May, 2011, 08:14:20 pm »
Got some 100g gas canisters yesterday  for the Jetboil that I got for my birthday. Whoosh !!!! its good :thumbsup:

Ace aren't they!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #156 on: 02 May, 2011, 08:15:34 pm »
Feline, the Snugpak Travelpak Lite is actually quite roomy for a mummy bag. It also has a built-in mosquito net :-)  I used mine out on Dartmoor last weekend with neither tent nor bivvy bag and survived to send this post....

Got mine here for around £25.Bargain...

Awesome, that is a very good price too :)
Your camping stylee might be a bit more minimalist than I was intending but it looks to be a great bag!

« Reply #157 on: 02 May, 2011, 08:16:37 pm »

I am about to order the Ti version, I am slightly struggling to justify the stupidly extra expense of this but I might always regret it if I don't go the whole hog!

« Reply #158 on: 02 May, 2011, 08:19:47 pm »

Yep,  :thumbsup:  once you've got used to lighting them.  I havent many hairs on the  back of my left thumb now ;D

I think I'll invest in the coffee press for it too

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #159 on: 03 May, 2011, 10:42:50 am »

Yep,  :thumbsup:  once you've got used to lighting them.  I havent many hairs on the  back of my left thumb now ;D

I think I'll invest in the coffee press for it too

I have the coffee press - those who were at Mildenhall last year will confirm that it got (and stood up to) heavy use.   :thumbsup:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #160 on: 03 May, 2011, 02:18:40 pm »
Yes.   ::-)

The evil lovely Julian lent us her Exped Downmat over the weekend, with somewhat inevitable consequences...

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #161 on: 03 May, 2011, 02:37:40 pm »
Yes.   ::-)

The evil lovely Julian lent us her Exped Downmat over the weekend, with somewhat inevitable consequences...

They are reassuringly expensive!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #162 on: 03 May, 2011, 02:38:39 pm »

Working shoulders are, however, priceless.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #163 on: 03 May, 2011, 02:43:40 pm »
And ladyhips definitely benefit, I am assured.
Getting there...

« Reply #164 on: 03 May, 2011, 02:54:00 pm »
After three days sleeping on an "OK" Thermarest, my back is telling me that anything which makes sleeping more comfortable is a good idea!

<fx: sounds of back creaking>
Actually, it is rocket science.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #165 on: 03 May, 2011, 02:56:21 pm »
And ladyhips definitely benefit, I am assured.

God yes!  While, given enough pressure, my Alpkit Airic will allow me to lie on my side (and therefore sleep, rather than lie back and admire the insect life trapped in the tent inner) without hips completely bottoming out, it isn't a particularly comfortable proposition.  The Downmat actually *works* and is both smaller and lighter.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #166 on: 03 May, 2011, 02:58:37 pm »
Butterfly has used her google-fu to unearth a wider Exped mat than the DLX, which is slightly inadequate for two people.

Money may have to change hands...
Getting there...

« Reply #167 on: 03 May, 2011, 03:03:14 pm »
Thermarest used to do a kit which would join two "normal" rectangular Thermarests together.  It was basically two giant figure of eight elastic bands, but with the modern non-rectangular Thermarests, it probably wouldn't work anyway.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #168 on: 03 May, 2011, 03:05:53 pm »
We had the rather better Exped kit to join the Downmats 7 & 9 that Butterfly had.  Works OK if you don't ever cuddle in the night, when you fall into the gap.  Besides, we don't need two mats' width...
Getting there...

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #169 on: 03 May, 2011, 09:14:49 pm »

Working shoulders are, however, priceless.

*click* *snappety* we're likely to need two and I hear TimO has some genius pillow which you're going to RTFI for me?

« Reply #170 on: 03 May, 2011, 09:21:51 pm »
Butterfly has used her google-fu to unearth a wider Exped mat than the DLX, ...

What is it called please?

« Reply #171 on: 03 May, 2011, 09:23:26 pm »
Crapity crap I found a really good deal on the titinium jetboil and the site declined my card  :facepalm:
Never mind, my shockly massive monthly payment in full goes through tomorrow so I can start hammering the card again  ;D

« Reply #172 on: 03 May, 2011, 09:37:58 pm »
*click* *snappety* we're likely to need two and I hear TimO has some genius pillow which you're going to RTFI for me?

The pillow I use is the Ajungilak one (as mentioned on Woolly's website), but there was an entire thread about this a while back.

« Reply #173 on: 03 May, 2011, 09:44:16 pm »
Butterfly has used her google-fu to unearth a wider Exped mat than the DLX, which is slightly inadequate for two people.

Money may have to change hands...

Oh do tell where she found such a thing? Starting to think mine and Rob's combo of Airic & Black's thermarest copy pushed together in a haphazard fashion could do with an upgrade... My hips were rather sore after this weekend... :-\

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #174 on: 03 May, 2011, 09:49:17 pm »
The pillow I use is the Ajungilak one (as mentioned on Woolly's website), but there was an entire thread about this a while back.

That's the badger.

*obtains one*