Author Topic: Zefal HPX fettling questions.  (Read 4455 times)

Zefal HPX fettling questions.
« on: 06 April, 2012, 09:33:47 am »
Using the pump yesterday it felt like it was full of treacle so I took it apart as much as I could, cleaned the barrel and plunger and then applied a WD40 equivalent and it's much, much better now.

Is that ok for a long term fix for the stickiness or is there a more suitable lubricant I should use for that?
Also, the handle still sticks - is there a way of taking it apart for cleaning as WD40 and airline in combination haven't done the trick?

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Re: Zefal HPX fettling questions.
« Reply #1 on: 06 April, 2012, 10:20:08 am »
The instructions that came with mine recommend a drop of oil in the barrel.  Hopefully, a small amount works in and doesn't spray into your inner tube to ruin it.

Is there a suitable rubber-friendly lube?  (KY Jelly would dry up).
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 06 April, 2012, 10:35:34 am »
If the handle sticks in the same way as one of HK's, it can't be fixed. http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=48855
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #3 on: 06 April, 2012, 05:17:17 pm »
The instructions that came with mine recommend a drop of oil in the barrel.  Hopefully, a small amount works in and doesn't spray into your inner tube to ruin it.

Is there a suitable rubber-friendly lube?  (KY Jelly would dry up).

I think vaseline is rubber freindly; there are also greases for rubber but I don't know where to find them. The soap used to fit tyres would be OK but I think it dries out as well.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #4 on: 06 April, 2012, 05:30:58 pm »
:hand:  Vaseline is not rubber friendly.  It's especially important to know that if you're going to use certain latex products!

Butyl isn't as delicate as latex, but still I think you want to miminise contact with petrolium/oil based products.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/GJqPez8H9SQ&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/GJqPez8H9SQ&rel=1</a>

« Reply #5 on: 07 April, 2012, 01:41:14 am »
The instructions that came with mine recommend a drop of oil in the barrel.  Hopefully, a small amount works in and doesn't spray into your inner tube to ruin it. Is there a suitable rubber-friendly lube?  (KY Jelly would dry up).
I used Finish Line Cross Country (wet) 'cos it was handy. It's sticky enough to stay put, and hasn't affected the washer in the 10 or 12 years since I started using it. You just want a single drop, and twiddle and pump to get it smeared all over the inside of the barrel before use.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6 on: 07 April, 2012, 02:26:09 am »
I have used saliva, to good effect when desparate   ;) :smug: :demon:

« Reply #7 on: 07 April, 2012, 09:53:12 am »
Ta very much, will stick a dab of oil in. I got the pump free with a second hand bike so no instructions came with it.
Shame about the handle fixable not being but it's not critical as it doesn't go under the cross bar but behind the seat post and still "fits".

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #8 on: 07 April, 2012, 10:18:29 am »
Blueth suggests silicon grease or spray to prevent damage to rubber, in http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=48855.msg1203623#msg1203623

I now think excessive oil in the pump barrel is what killed the ubsurdly-light Conti tubes I tried.

« Reply #9 on: 07 April, 2012, 02:10:23 pm »
In which context? (Thinking of Biggsy's post) ;D
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #10 on: 07 April, 2012, 02:20:30 pm »

Faery visit and zéfal hp-x plunger failure.
Spat on plunger washer to restore its function.

I post on-topic, you will understand.
Who has a dirty mind?

« Reply #11 on: 07 April, 2012, 03:30:45 pm »

Faery visit and zéfal hp-x plunger failure.
Spat on plunger washer to restore its function.

I post on-topic, you will understand.
Who has a dirty mind?

;D

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #12 on: 07 April, 2012, 04:03:42 pm »
It's valuable clean public information that it's better to spit on a condom than use petrollium jelly.