Author Topic: Willy Warmer 31st Jan  (Read 66327 times)

LEE

Re: Willy Warmer 31st Jan
« Reply #125 on: 27 January, 2009, 09:36:45 am »
FYI - Paul has emailed some slightly modified route sheets out with following comments:

Scenic GPSers should note a couple of minor route changes. We've reverted to the original route to Cressex via Treadaway Hill (see 9km) , Whitepit Lane being deemed rather unecessarily cruel for a January event, and after Cressex (see 20km) we turn onto Horns Lane to provide a queter route to Lane End than the B482 offers  (Spare route sheets available on the day)

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #126 on: 27 January, 2009, 09:39:01 am »
Following last weekends route check ride and other feedback, I sent out an improved route sheet by email last night. The standard Willy Warmer route is unchanged but there are a couple of minor tweaks for the Scenic and the Little Willy. I'll have spare routesheets available on the day for those that need them. The routes shown on Bikely have also been updated. The changes, as detailed in the email, are miinor so I'd suggest GPSers amend rather than refresh their routes. If you do not receive the email or have any questions then please email or pm me directly. So thats it, until Saturday comes...

Edit: LEE beat me to it!

LEE

« Reply #127 on: 27 January, 2009, 10:06:27 am »
Edit: LEE beat me to it!

2nd place is first loser

;D

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #128 on: 27 January, 2009, 10:20:40 am »
I thought that posting about audax rides was non-competitive? ;)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Manotea

« Reply #129 on: 27 January, 2009, 10:23:15 am »

Bugger, beaten again!

« Reply #130 on: 27 January, 2009, 10:24:39 am »
The weather is most unlikely to stop me, unless raging blizzards are forecast. It's just that a sunny, calm ride is always lots more pleasant.

The more Audaxes I do the less I care about the weather. I'd prefer some wind driven rain or sleet as long as the fully fledged storms with 80mph gusting winds leave my planned "summer" rides alone.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

LEE

« Reply #131 on: 27 January, 2009, 10:24:43 am »

I have to take victories where I can get them Mr Wow.

Posting updates about Audax is the part of the sport where I'm not in danger of being Lanterne-Rouge (it's the pedalling part I have the trouble with)

« Reply #132 on: 27 January, 2009, 10:32:17 am »
The weather is most unlikely to stop me, unless raging blizzards are forecast. It's just that a sunny, calm ride is always lots more pleasant.

I just got Lobster Claws and a Buff, fixed my dorky winter hat, etc. As a result I predict blazing sunshine and a midday attempt to doff bibtights without either exposing myself to passing cagers or dropping a socked foot on a passing hodgepig.

« Reply #133 on: 27 January, 2009, 01:23:59 pm »
Following last weekends route check ride and other feedback, I sent out an improved route sheet by email last night. The standard Willy Warmer route is unchanged but there are a couple of minor tweaks for the Scenic and the Little Willy. I'll have spare routesheets available on the day for those that need them. The routes shown on Bikely have also been updated. The changes, as detailed in the email, are miinor so I'd suggest GPSers amend rather than refresh their routes. If you do not receive the email or have any questions then please email or pm me directly. So thats it, until Saturday comes...

Did anything change on the non-scenic route?

P.S. I'll only be getting the train if my friend DNSes and therefore isn't able to give me a lift.

Martin

« Reply #134 on: 27 January, 2009, 01:51:36 pm »
P.S. I'll only be getting the train if my friend DNSes and therefore isn't able to give me a lift.

well Manotea was scribbling furiously on his route sheet all day but apart from a few directions like bear L and R which actually are just bends in the road, road names at T junctions which aren't actually there and missing signposts also at T's the only actual possible changes are;

1. I think you are now all going out via Gerrards X and the A40 not Welders Lane due to the same icy problems which may affect the Scenic
2. The non-working lights before Hedgerley Lane now are (making this route a much nicer early evening alternative; also for the Anfractuous IMO), and the whole entrance to the lane has become a fairly substantial RAB but it's clearly signposted.

« Reply #135 on: 27 January, 2009, 01:53:20 pm »
Ta.

I'll check my GPS route against the new routesheet anyway just to make sure.

Manotea

« Reply #136 on: 27 January, 2009, 02:05:55 pm »
Following last weekends route check ride and other feedback, I sent out an improved route sheet by email last night. The standard Willy Warmer route is unchanged but there are a couple of minor tweaks for the Scenic and the Little Willy.

*wanders off to make up a special route sheet just for Greenbank...*

Martin

« Reply #137 on: 27 January, 2009, 02:06:14 pm »
you won't have any probs with the GPS route (or is it a track?  ;))

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #138 on: 27 January, 2009, 02:12:41 pm »
Can someone who is not an AUK member* turn up on the day, pay their dosh and ride this?

* I'm in the CTC but don't have any sandals.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #139 on: 27 January, 2009, 02:15:51 pm »

Not sure what you mean, I use routes with one routepoint per routesheet instruction. I don't have a mapping GPS and I don't like following tracks.

LEE

« Reply #140 on: 27 January, 2009, 02:28:57 pm »

Does not compute Does not compute Does not compute Does not compute Does not compute FFD5 FFE6 FFFB  FFFF Abend

Tiger

« Reply #141 on: 27 January, 2009, 02:30:04 pm »
Can someone who is not an AUK member* turn up on the day, pay their dosh and ride this?

No problem usually - some rides don't take on the line entries. You have to pay a bit more for a non-member ride  I recall.
CTC membership is taken as equivalent to wearing sandals - but you may find a beard useful on the day if you want to blend in.

Martin

« Reply #142 on: 27 January, 2009, 02:51:35 pm »

Not sure what you mean, I use routes with one routepoint per routesheet instruction. I don't have a mapping GPS and I don't like following tracks.

It was a lesson (and I narrowly escaped the cane for non-comprehension) I was receiving on Saturday from Mr O'Tea about the difference betwixt the two

Yes  :)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #143 on: 27 January, 2009, 04:03:15 pm »

Yes  :)

:thumbsup:

I might be able to attempt this, so I shall have to try and get myself sorted out.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #144 on: 27 January, 2009, 05:16:51 pm »

No problem usually - some rides don't take on the line entries. You have to pay a bit more for a non-member ride  I recall.

But more important than anything else is: check with the organiser [who in this case is obviously Manotea]

Quite part from the extra work load on the day [which might be hassle if numbers are high], the organiser may be buying in/cooking some food, so having an idea of numbers is helpful prior to the ride.
Garry Broad

border-rider

« Reply #145 on: 27 January, 2009, 05:21:30 pm »

But more important than anything else is: check with the organiser [who in this case is obviously Manotea]

Yep.  An email/PM or phone call before hand will lessen the stress you'd create by just turning up.  And some rides get full anyway.

« Reply #146 on: 27 January, 2009, 05:30:18 pm »

Yep.  An email/PM or phone call before hand will lessen the stress you'd create by just turning up.  And some rides get full anyway.

I once had a load of city creative types turn up on the line for one of my humble events. £20 notes were proffered, a certain sniffiness about the facilities evinced, and off they went leaving a carpark full of fast cars, and plastic girlfriends or partners wondering what to do all day in a rural Devonshire town.

border-rider

« Reply #147 on: 27 January, 2009, 05:36:08 pm »
I'm beginning to wish I were controlling on this again.

I might ride over to 'ungerford  for a sociable cup of tea - I have to be in Lambourn that evening anyway.

« Reply #148 on: 27 January, 2009, 05:51:59 pm »
I'm beginning to wish I were controlling on this again.

I might ride over to 'ungerford  for a sociable cup of tea - I have to be in Lambourn that evening anyway.

Will you be carrying a rolled up copy of Arrivee so we can recognise you?

border-rider

« Reply #149 on: 27 January, 2009, 05:59:34 pm »
I haven't changed much since we met last month ;)

Have you ?