Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1626044 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #3650 on: 21 July, 2013, 08:08:10 pm »
F a m I l I e s . . .    ::-)

< SIGH >

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3651 on: 21 July, 2013, 08:09:14 pm »
Basil, Feel free to quote me :)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #3652 on: 21 July, 2013, 08:50:22 pm »
Thanks Mrs. P.  But I probably won't.  They probably think I'm already a grumpy enough git for occasionally querying their total obsession for wanting Brum to turn into some sort of Dutch cycling model Hell.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #3653 on: 21 July, 2013, 08:51:36 pm »
MFWHTBAB and I have been trying to arrange the next few weeks in our diaries, involving several different fixed events, including one weekend where I've committed to be in York on Saturday, but we want to help out at the West Lancs Railway gala on the Sunday, plus a workmate wanting to swap days off with me, and me struggling to work out which day to swap with him.

My Brane hurts!

Well if you see Graham Fairhurst at the West Lancs gala (the owner of "Utrillas") say to him, "William asks if you've found the 1967 pictures of the Penrhyn tar boiler wagon yet? "  That'll fox him... Actually I must get off my arse and email him that question!

My next tricky bit is fiddling how to get enough time to go and work on "Monarch" on the other W&LLR (The Welshpool and Llanfair)  next week.  The poor old girl's a bit sad, but its her 60th Birthday on Weds 31st.

I'll try and remember!

MFWHTBAB went over for the Thursday night volunteer fettling session.  When I arrived at MFWHTBAB's house on Friday, he said "Oh, we need to sort you out an overall".

"Oh, do we?"
"Yeah, I've arranged you a little job at the gala day"
"Oh?"
"Yeah. You're firing".
"Um?"
"You going to be a fireman".
"Um?! Don't I need training?"
"Yeah, you'll get it on the gala day".

There's a saying about frying pans trying to get out of my head....

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3654 on: 21 July, 2013, 09:04:43 pm »
outofthefryingpanintothefiremansshovel

« Reply #3655 on: 21 July, 2013, 09:36:15 pm »
outofthefryingpanintothefiremansshovel

That's the sort of thing!

I should say, this isn't a grumble, it just happened to follow on from my previous post. :thumbsup:

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3656 on: 21 July, 2013, 09:49:00 pm »
Arch is HotStuff :demon:

« Reply #3657 on: 21 July, 2013, 10:14:42 pm »
Arch is HotStuff :demon:

I will be if I get it wrong and stick a hand in the firebox!

« Reply #3658 on: 22 July, 2013, 09:44:59 am »
Woo! That sounds fun, Arch!
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #3659 on: 22 July, 2013, 10:05:03 am »
Woo! That sounds fun, Arch!

Yeah, a bit nervewracking, but I hope I can do it well. It's a step towards actually driving!

We actually found out about the place at a steam rally and were attracted by the relative cheapness of their 'drive a steam train' experience compared with the larger railways. When we visited, we found just how tiny they are (maybe a mile of track, if that?) and how keen they are to have volunteers. Especially when MFWHTBAB started to list the sort of work he could do. I think they reckoned I'd be worth having just to keep him!

I'd have been happy to look after the shop or clip tickets on the gala day, but MFWHTBAB is a bit better at getting to the point!

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3660 on: 22 July, 2013, 10:17:18 am »
Surly have only gone and released a disc-braked monster-cross style bike1 ... just as I'm about to finish building up my Genesis High Latitude to perform more-or-less the same function  >:(

1 - the 'Straggler' if the photos are to be believed - sums up my style of riding perfectly. Others are referring to it as a disc-braked Cross Check, which is something I've fancied for a while.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #3661 on: 22 July, 2013, 10:52:22 am »
Fuck off, Biggles.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3662 on: 22 July, 2013, 04:00:29 pm »
Tomorrow, in Cambridgeshire, it is going to p1$$ it down, mightily.  About the time I shall be leaving work.

Guess which idiot left his Night Vision jacket 180 miles away? On the back of the bedroom door...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #3663 on: 22 July, 2013, 07:35:44 pm »
Young women of London, what is it with you and tattoos?  It seems like a quarter of those I've seen these last two weeks are tattooed.  I'm not talking about a 'little butterfly' on the ankle, or even a tramp-stamp.  I'm talking 'my, those are interesting arm-warmers... oh, you're not wearing anything on your arms' and beyond.

OK, I'm prejudiced - I'm not a fan of inking human flesh.  I can appreciate the artistry - when it's there - but... *sigh* 

Yeah, I know, many here will disagree with me, and I'm OK with that.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #3664 on: 22 July, 2013, 07:44:59 pm »
Motons of London, M4 M25 and A1M branch Saturday night

What's wrong with lanes 1 and 3 ? does huddling together in the middle lane give you a sense of security?

Or is there something you're not telling us strangers? Buried landmines in the outside lane? Nests of snipers in the bushes?
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #3665 on: 22 July, 2013, 09:17:05 pm »
BBC1 interrupts schedule for a one-hour news special to make a ten-second announcement: Royal baby boy, 8 stone, 6 pounds.  Or something.

::-)
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #3666 on: 22 July, 2013, 09:30:21 pm »
Bugger.  Sitting at the garden bench, I just reached round for this phone.  In doing so I upset the full glass of wine at my elbow.  In an attempt to save that I knocked over the bottle.  Both of them emptied themselves down on the lawn.
Luckily there are several bottles of Old Speckled Hen in the fridge (hoorah for Mrs. B).  Otherwise I'd be close to making one of those inappropriate 999 calls.

« Reply #3667 on: 22 July, 2013, 09:42:46 pm »
Surly have only gone and released a disc-braked monster-cross style bike1 ... just as I'm about to finish building up my Genesis High Latitude to perform more-or-less the same function  >:(

1 - the 'Straggler' if the photos are to be believed - sums up my style of riding perfectly. Others are referring to it as a disc-braked Cross Check, which is something I've fancied for a while.

Just had a look and...it seems to be purple! :o

I've had my eye on a Cross Check for a while too, as an eventual replacement when my hybrid gives up. A purple one with disc brakes would be even better!

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3668 on: 22 July, 2013, 10:14:07 pm »

Just had a look and...it seems to be purple! :o
It is.
Very much so.
They must have travelled all the way back to 1994 to get those anodised purple seatpost collars ...

I like the look of the bike, especially in light of the other snippets of info that have appeared on FacePalm (ie. it has horizontal-ish dropouts so is singlespeed/fixed/IGH-able) but there's no way I could justify getting one ...

.. yet.

If anything, I'm more interested in the tyres that are adorning the new Instigator ... 26x2.75? That'll do nicely ...

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #3669 on: 22 July, 2013, 10:15:08 pm »
*studiously ignores the temptation of purpoo bikes*

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3670 on: 22 July, 2013, 10:24:09 pm »

Take yer pick ...

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #3671 on: 22 July, 2013, 10:28:01 pm »
Oh FFS, why did they wait to bring that out *after* I bought the Disc Trucker? I don't like green.
Gits  >:(

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #3672 on: 22 July, 2013, 10:33:45 pm »
Milton Keynes tomorrow :-\.  My carefully-selected work reading for the train is still at the office ::-).  Will have to take a book  :)

« Reply #3673 on: 22 July, 2013, 11:20:33 pm »

Take yer pick ...

They are rather lovely. I do hope the purple isn't just a teasing prototype. And that they take 700c wheels, as I don't like 26" (for no good reason).

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3674 on: 22 July, 2013, 11:27:33 pm »
Quote from: phantasmagoriana link=topic=46587.msg1527935#msg1527935
They are rather lovely. I do hope the purple isn't just a teasing prototype. And that they take 700c wheels, as I don't like 26" (for no good reason).

The pics were taken at the QBP dealer event in Utah, so they're more than likely to be the complete bikes more or less as-sold. Regarding wheel size, Word of God is:

Completes with Surly Knard 700x41. Surly Fatties Fit Fine (FFF) stays and our beautiful slope-crowned custom fork provide room for tires up to 700 x 42mm! With fenders!

So yes, 700c. With room for some fairly decent sized rubber.

I've now decided that the reason I'm not going to buy one of these is because there aren't any readily available non-STI drop-bar levers which will work with hydraulic disc brakes  O:-)