Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1626276 times)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #6450 on: 12 June, 2015, 02:12:24 pm »
Dear cat: putting your claws away and using soft paws occasionally doesn't make you any less of a man.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6451 on: 12 June, 2015, 05:33:19 pm »
WTF are those useless workshy twat builders doing over the road?  They've been building those flats for more than a year and have now fired up a pneumatic drill, sounding for all the world as though they're going to spend another twelve months knocking the place down again.

Bah >:(
Only a year? There are some flats being built down the road from me and it's taken over a year to dig the foundations and concrete them. Just further down the road again is a house which was bare earth in January and is now finished.

There are three types of builders: builders who build, builders who demolish and builders who sleep.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #6452 on: 12 June, 2015, 06:02:05 pm »
Thermostat. Aircon. Orquers de vasche.

Bah.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #6453 on: 12 June, 2015, 06:50:02 pm »
Thanks for the zippy advice, folks. 

Silicon lube sounds useful; I'll get hold of a can to use on zips, curtain rails etc., but will stick with my usual stuff for bike chains! 

As for being grumpy: sat in a queue of cars leaving the theatre car park last night.  Why the **** don't people use their handbrakes?  Being dazzled by modern high-intensity brake lights brings out my homicidal tendencies. Glad I don't commute by car, especially in dark winter weather.  Brake light rage - grrrr!!

« Reply #6454 on: 12 June, 2015, 07:10:13 pm »
Bah - bike has developed a once-per-rev click through the pedals and there is orange all around the BB. Guess this means either a trip to the LBS or the acquisition of some tools and a chance to bugger it up myself, neither of which I can really afford right now  >:(

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #6455 on: 14 June, 2015, 11:01:40 am »
Bother!  Earache, sore throat, chesty cough, tiredness and (slightly) restricted breathing ability.  It's June; in fact it's damn near the middle of June. How the merry hell can I have my winter cold in June?
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #6456 on: 14 June, 2015, 01:05:53 pm »
Bother!  Earache, sore throat, chesty cough, tiredness and (slightly) restricted breathing ability.  It's June; in fact it's damn near the middle of June. How the merry hell can I have my winter cold in June?

It's winter here - maybe you're just in the wrong place?
@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #6457 on: 14 June, 2015, 01:44:12 pm »
Hmm BBC Sport or rather BBC Football with some highlight of crickets and random little bits of rugby thrown in while we ignore everything else sport page.

I got a few friends who goes to Le Mans every year as friends of theirs live spitting distance away. So I see a lot of post from their weekend there on Farcebook. There is even a thread on here about it. Therefore I got curious today. Nothing zip nada on the front page, nothing zip nana on the motor sport section/page. Even when I searched for Le Mans I got results from 2004 as the top results.

I got a friend who have been over in Azerbaijan building/constructing the opening stage show for the 2015 European games. Therefore I got curious and wanted to know what that was all about. Nothing zip nada, well I did get some on the News section about demonstrators some weeks ago. The Beep is happy to show you everything about the Glasgow Games in 2014.

While we are at it, I really don't give a hoot about football, but I did hear that there is a world cup going on in Canada atm. According to BBC sport naaa not really.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #6458 on: 14 June, 2015, 04:19:14 pm »
Printer (or driver). There are other apps on my PC than Adobe Fucking Acrobat Reader... Kindly print from them.

Also, I just tried printing FROM Adobe Pissing Reader and you still won't work "processing" you say for 10+ minutes...

I'd defenestrate you or bash you to deth with hammers except Kim would be annoyed.  I shall ask her nicely to kindly SORT IT so I don't kill it.

Step and Kill Hospital - why don't your information governance use EMAIL like the 21st century?  I'm NOT phoning you, and I am not giving you a phone number so if you claim 'security' as reason not to communicate I'll Equality Act you into hell ummkay?

« Reply #6459 on: 14 June, 2015, 04:57:54 pm »
Hmm BBC Sport or rather BBC Football with some highlight of crickets and random little bits of rugby thrown in while we ignore everything else sport page.

I got a few friends who goes to Le Mans every year as friends of theirs live spitting distance away. So I see a lot of post from their weekend there on Farcebook. There is even a thread on here about it. Therefore I got curious today. Nothing zip nada on the front page, nothing zip nana on the motor sport section/page. Even when I searched for Le Mans I got results from 2004 as the top results.

I got a friend who have been over in Azerbaijan building/constructing the opening stage show for the 2015 European games. Therefore I got curious and wanted to know what that was all about. Nothing zip nada, well I did get some on the News section about demonstrators some weeks ago. The Beep is happy to show you everything about the Glasgow Games in 2014.

While we are at it, I really don't give a hoot about football, but I did hear that there is a world cup going on in Canada atm. According to BBC sport naaa not really.

The BBC standard operating procedure seems to be that if they don't broadcast it, they won't report it on text or website, or if they do so on the latter, it won't ever get on the sports site front page unless something exceptional happens.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #6460 on: 14 June, 2015, 08:09:30 pm »
Bah  >:(. My faithful Sea to Summit collapsible cup is starting to split at the rim . Hopefully it will last for this trip but I'll have to replace it when I get home.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #6461 on: 14 June, 2015, 08:49:06 pm »
Best mate: I realised on Friday that organisation really isn't your forte - though I knew that already. All you had to do was write down the B&B's number so we could call and get let in on arrival. You called and called, no answer. We spent the next 90 minutes twiddling our thumbs until I checked the number online. You'd got it wrong and they answered right away and we got straight in. That 90 minutes meant we didn't get to meet up with folk I'd pre-arranged things with and we ended up eating in a poncy restaurant where a fish finger sandwich cost nearly a tenner. Things like that happen rather too often and it's quite hard to laugh them off when it has an impact like that. You're a great bloke, but no more organisation for you!
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

ian

« Reply #6462 on: 15 June, 2015, 11:45:50 am »
Big trucks. I presume someone is building a house or some-such on the street behind ours which means several big dumper trucks, scaffolding lorries etc. attempting to navigate a steep hill, narrow road, and tight t-junction with parked cars on it (it's a private lane with no double yellows, and their parking is on the junction itself). With the usual hilarity (and running over our verge in the process). I know the vehicles need to get up there, but they're just too big. Hence several times this morning, the annoying beep-beep as they try and align themselves to get around the corner, wheel spins because they're unloaded and the hill is that steep, and then reverse what must be a good 300 metres to their destination (they're going to clunk someone's car back there, if they haven't already). I should go up there and see what they're actually doing. Oh the pile of stones and crap they leave behind, and branches from overhanging trees etc.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #6463 on: 15 June, 2015, 01:59:01 pm »
My new bike arrived at 1100 today. It looks quite smart. Unfortunately, I wasn't expecting it to arrive today so didn't bring a pump. I cannot believe that nobody in this HQ has got a pump! I'm going to have to sprint* home and walk back then. That'll delay my tea-time.

*For a given value of "sprint". I'm on the folder and that's so under-geared my legs spin out at about 9mph
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

essexian

« Reply #6464 on: 17 June, 2015, 03:31:47 pm »
I know by being sneaky I deserve to be caught out but come on where the hell are you courier???!!!

I ordered a new set of wheels (well they were 40% off) on Monday so that they would be delivered today while my considerably better half is off with her aged mother. I thought, I could get them into the garage and onto the bike before she came home so she would never notice.

Its now 3.30pm and she is expected back in half an hour. If the courier doesn't get his finger out I am going to get caught and buying her forgiveness will be expensive!!!!

And yes, I deserve all I get.  :facepalm:

« Reply #6465 on: 18 June, 2015, 07:38:20 pm »
Self: Before ordering parts for the new build, check that you actually need them! They weren't exactly expensive, but for what they are they're extortionate.

1) The under BB cable guide wasn't needed, because the cables could be routed via the top tube. That's what the braze-ons were for.

2) That bit of 'packing' included with the front derailleur was actually a shim to allow a 34.9 clamp to fit your bike. Fits perfectly, too.

The cost wasn't high, but waiting for the bits I didn't need cost two days. I could've finished things on my days off earlier in the week. Ho hum...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #6466 on: 18 June, 2015, 09:45:42 pm »
On crap!  I've just noticed that my debit card is not in my wallet.  I last used it at lunch time today.  About 8 hours ago!
Panic phone call to the number.  No, there has been no activity since I spent £% at %shop at %time. Phew.
So I'm now cardless and it will probably be Tuesday before I get a replacement. 
Bugger!
That means going to a bank tomorrow and using a cheque to get some cash.  I've no idea after all these years what I'm supposed to write on the cheque.  I guess that it isn't moi-même which is what I remember from the late 70s.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #6467 on: 18 June, 2015, 09:56:48 pm »
They should tell you at the back (i.e. don't fill it out in advance).   Be sure to take somememe ID as well, like a passport.  Can't remember if I was asked for proof of address last time I did similar, but taking a recent bank statement with you as well couldn't hurt.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #6468 on: 18 June, 2015, 09:57:29 pm »
I don't know about cheques either, but I'm sure putting a sock  over your face before entering a bank isn't a good idea.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #6469 on: 18 June, 2015, 10:12:21 pm »
I don't know about cheques either, but I'm sure putting a sock  over your face before entering a bank isn't a good idea.

;D

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #6470 on: 19 June, 2015, 09:22:03 am »
Grr, this morning is going well.

First I stand on a stray thorn left over from moving garden waste though the house and have to pull it out of my right heel. Then I arrived in the kitchen to find a puddle in front of the fridge-freezer. It seems like the whole thing's stopped cooling (making noises but not doing anything - probably a pumping system issue I'd guess).

The fridge is now being supplimented by a freezer block I kept in the freezer for emergencies, and I've dug my old mini-freezer out to take some of the stuff that wasn't too far gone, but a lot of food is now in the bin. It's picked it's time to die too, as I have a visitor arriving tomorrow. :(

Now waiting for bad thing number 3 ... :-\
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #6471 on: 19 June, 2015, 08:25:12 pm »
Ouch! There's a lot of blood in a knuckle. Must sharpen that knife so it actually cuts the onion it's aimed at, not sliding off it.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #6472 on: 19 June, 2015, 08:41:06 pm »
Ah red onion :)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #6473 on: 19 June, 2015, 08:42:47 pm »
I am now eating chocolate to replace all the lost iron.  :D

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #6474 on: 19 June, 2015, 09:18:12 pm »
What a coincidence.  I've just cut myself in the kitchen too.  No blunt knife though.  A freshly sharpened one. 
The dabigatran I have to take means it will probably stop bleeding by next Thursday.