Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1626204 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #8975 on: 01 July, 2017, 11:08:44 pm »
Eyes have got slightly worse. Bank account has got more than slightly lower. And they had the cheek to give me a voucher for a hearing aid.

« Reply #8976 on: 02 July, 2017, 08:24:26 am »

*For those that may be interested look up the Vintage Model Company.  I recommend them to anyone else, like me, fully embarked on his or her second childhood.

Not INTERESTED AT ALL. Go away.

Mind you....

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #8977 on: 02 July, 2017, 09:16:33 am »
A coal tit has nested in the lintel arch of my bedroom window.   The noisy little bugger starts his monotonous constant cheeping at 5am.  It's surprisingly loud but I can't sleep with the window closed.
Now, I'm not one to waste his entire Sunday morning in bed, but today chirpy chirpy cheep cheep began at 5.  Soon joined by Jeremy Corvid. At 6, the dog is flinging itself against the bedroom door desperate for the garden.  Then at 8, some git is chainsawing across the valley.

It's too late to do anything about the coal tit nest, but he won't be doing that next year.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #8978 on: 02 July, 2017, 09:33:35 am »

*For those that may be interested look up the Vintage Model Company.  I recommend them to anyone else, like me, fully embarked on his or her second childhood.

Not INTERESTED AT ALL. Go away.

Mind you....
Ha ha. Gotcha! :D
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8979 on: 02 July, 2017, 01:38:50 pm »
A coal tit has nested in the lintel arch of my bedroom window.   The noisy little bugger starts his monotonous constant cheeping at 5am.  It's surprisingly loud but I can't sleep with the window closed.
Now, I'm not one to waste his entire Sunday morning in bed, but today chirpy chirpy cheep cheep began at 5.  Soon joined by Jeremy Corvid. At 6, the dog is flinging itself against the bedroom door desperate for the garden.  Then at 8, some git is chainsawing across the valley.

It's too late to do anything about the coal tit nest, but he won't be doing that next year.

I refer to Postman Piers's views on the subject:

Loads of [deaf people who get a Cochlear implant] are delighted to hear birdsong for the first time.  I say shoot the fuckers.

Having spent much of the morning with my head buried under a pillow (on account of builders rather than birdlife), I'm envying anyone whose hearing comes with an off switch.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #8980 on: 02 July, 2017, 02:11:30 pm »
You have my sympathy. I'd lend you one of mine but at 4ft by 2ft I can hardly lift them (old worktop plus a couple of layers of cork tiles) let alone send one to you!

But thanks for that link - didn't know of them.  Are you going to do  build diary?
Thanks for the thought, but for the small fry that I build 4'x2' is probably a wee bit on the big side.

Diary? Yeah, same as I did for VMC Osprey.  Here

I use an old chipboard shelf, with a pinboard and cork on top
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #8981 on: 03 July, 2017, 06:36:02 pm »
Directline car insewerants renewal as almost exactly DOUBLE the cost of last year's policy at £750!!
Sod that. 5 minutes with the meerkats and I have a new policy for £200 which wasn't even the cheapest but had the bits I wanted. The only difference is the lack of Green Flag but that was over £60 from Directline so hardly discounted at all. I may as well buy the decent version under a separate policy instead of a stupid 10 mile recovery distance which is useless opp norf.

Ripoff artistes :(

Everyone's favourite windbreak

« Reply #8982 on: 03 July, 2017, 08:39:01 pm »
Well, if I didn't know before, I now know what they think of me at work. I applied for a role I could do with my eyes shut and with a good word from someone I've worked with with for two years, and I didn't even get shortlisted. Time for an exit strategy, methinks.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #8983 on: 04 July, 2017, 07:35:54 pm »
Hanging baskets automatic watering systems.  Not great if you are having an fag while sitting on the window sill out the front of the pub.   :(

And there was me, trying to be a good boy, having sat well away from the door.   :(  :(
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8984 on: 04 July, 2017, 07:37:26 pm »
Not great if you leave your pannier open either.  (DAHIKT)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8985 on: 04 July, 2017, 08:08:42 pm »
Xdp express couriers: your delivery tracking and information was spot on but why oh why oh why do you send emails consisting of black text on 90% dark grey background?
I had to highlight the text to read it. Black on white is fine and white on black is OK if you must.
Black on dark grey is not smart and not clever.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8986 on: 05 July, 2017, 01:00:03 pm »
Cumquat of a Bricomarché** serf, what part of "grain running parallel to the long side" is so difficult to understand that you cut my plywood order with it running perpendicular to the aforesaid?  And why get shirty when I chuckle at the perversity of fate as personified by your theoretically good self, and tell you to have another go?

**chain of rather poor DIY shops in France, motto: we have everything you don't need.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #8987 on: 05 July, 2017, 01:50:37 pm »
Xdp express couriers: your delivery tracking and information was spot on but why oh why oh why do you send emails consisting of black text on 90% dark grey background?
I had to highlight the text to read it. Black on white is fine and white on black is OK if you must.
A similar but opposite grumble is to be had at some of GWR's timetables, which have maps printed in white on pale grey. I have pretty good eyesight but even so I at first thought "why does this one not have a map like all the others?". It looked a blank, pale grey page. Apparently this was a genuine error by the printers – it was meant to be black on pale grey.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8988 on: 05 July, 2017, 02:15:31 pm »
A similar but opposite grumble is to be had at some of GWR's timetables, which have maps printed in white on pale grey. I have pretty good eyesight but even so I at first thought "why does this one not have a map like all the others?". It looked a blank, pale grey page. Apparently this was a genuine error by the printers – it was meant to be black on pale grey.

Makes a change from the pale-grey-on-white that people with high-spec iMacs in sensibly-lit offices insist on inflicting on the rest of the world wide web...

« Reply #8989 on: 05 July, 2017, 02:37:58 pm »
I just had to order my (corporate) calendars for 2018.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8990 on: 05 July, 2017, 02:49:35 pm »

Makes a change from the pale-grey-on-white that people with high-spec iMacs in sensibly-lit offices insist on inflicting on the rest of the world wide web...

;D ;D If you say so...

Poor contrast and colour choice makes me ANGRY & FRUSTRATED whatever hue is selected. Legibiilty is not rocket science.

« Reply #8991 on: 05 July, 2017, 08:29:06 pm »
Cumquat of a Bricomarché** serf, what part of "grain running parallel to the long side" is so difficult to understand that you cut my plywood order with it running perpendicular to the aforesaid?  And why get shirty when I chuckle at the perversity of fate as personified by your theoretically good self, and tell you to have another go?

**chain of rather poor DIY shops in France, motto: we have everything you don't need.

But shirley some of the grain would be running parallel to the long side, it being plywood after all?  ;D

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #8992 on: 05 July, 2017, 10:06:16 pm »

But shirley some of the grain would be running parallel to the long side, it being plywood after all?  ;D
I thought that. Turn it over, you might be surprised.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #8993 on: 05 July, 2017, 10:31:45 pm »

I thought that. Turn it over, you might be surprised.

Depending on how thick the ply is, I'd certainly expect something like 3/7 or 4/9 of the grain to be running parallel to the long side.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #8994 on: 06 July, 2017, 01:19:18 am »
Grumble about name calling insults on YACF.  I have variable Hemiplaegia on my right side. this includes my face muscles and means I can't often keep my nostrils open to breathe. When it's like that, I breathe in through my open mouth as I like to get that nice air stuff to keep me alive.
When I see phrases like "Sun reading Mouth Breathers", obviously meant as an insult, I get upset and quite angry.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #8995 on: 06 July, 2017, 05:46:54 pm »
YMMV, I am a mouth breather (nothing medically diagnosed, just an inadequate/snotty beak) and I read the phrase above to mean more like a slack jawed yokel... But that's just my interpretation.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #8996 on: 06 July, 2017, 07:31:41 pm »
I'm with Pedaldog on this one, mouthbreather is a disablist insult and like "Retard", "Lame" and similar is a term I'd prefer not to see becoming acceptable in YACF. At best it's unexcellent.

I also largely breathe through my mouth due to extensive malformation of my nose/sinus anatomy. I had breathing through my mouth held against me by childhood bullies and it still hurts, cos I had no choice.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8997 on: 06 July, 2017, 08:37:47 pm »
YMMV, I am a mouth breather (nothing medically diagnosed, just an inadequate/snotty beak) and I read the phrase above to mean more like a slack jawed yokel... But that's just my interpretation.

I always took 'slack-jawed' to refer to a specific facial expression, whereas 'mouth-breather' was a general trait, with strong implications of stupidity outside medical contexts.

(Also a chronic sufferer of snot, I had more than my fair share of being told off for breathing through my mouth as a child.  I don't think I came across the prejudicial use of the term until much later, though.)

« Reply #8998 on: 06 July, 2017, 09:10:00 pm »
I think I'd probably have put mouth-breather in the same category as window-licker: clearly insulting, intended to convey a disdain if not contempt for the target's lack of intelligence (no, stupidity), but probably intended as an insult to that individual rather than as a blanket condemnation or categorisation.

That said, it's a bit lacking in excellence, I wouldn't use it anyway, and if People Who Know regard it as disablist then I'm happy to go along with that.

Funnily enough, I don't have a problem with terms like moron, cretin or idiot, probably because I think they're now so far removed from their very specific historic definitions that they're now a mere insult.

Retard is, I think, far more offensive, while mong is clearly disablist (and derivatives like monging/monged out are too close not to be offensive, even though there is almost certainly no such intent from their users).

It is probable that I am sensitised to this last because my brother has Down's syndrome. Hey ho.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8999 on: 07 July, 2017, 07:36:32 am »
Gormenghast syndrome: when every day of the year becomes the anniversary of one or more events requiring tiresome commemoration.  In the linguistic form, every noun and adjective in the language becomes offensive to some minority group so we all have to keep our traps shut.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight