Author Topic: Schipol <-> Amsterdam travel on NYE, advice please  (Read 914 times)

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
Schipol <-> Amsterdam travel on NYE, advice please
« on: 28 December, 2018, 02:23:32 pm »
I've got an overnight at Schipol on new years eve.  I'm not much of a party animal hence agreeing to travel on the 31st but even to me this seems an opportunity I ought to investigate.  According to ns.nl trains to/from the city will be running, I should be able to get:
AMS -> city 20:53 or 21:07 (last train in)
city -> AMS 00:45 (first train out)

a) should I believe those trains will run?  I'm used to UK service levels.
b) will I be rammed in on the return sardine like with fifty five faasand vomiting drunks?  Again, I'm used to UK pubic1 transport so would assume 'yes' here and forget the whole idea.

Or is there a better option?

Thanks

1 Not a typo, it's bollocks.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Re: Schipol <-> Amsterdam travel on NYE, advice please
« Reply #1 on: 28 December, 2018, 02:55:48 pm »
Are those times correct? NS trains normally stop riding at 20:00 h on the 31th of December, and only resume service after 01:00 in the New Year. Or are those international trains?

The one time I had to take a night train just in the new year wasn't pleasant, because of the far too many drunks. But that was in 1993.

« Reply #2 on: 28 December, 2018, 03:14:20 pm »
9292.nl -- the commercial public transport guide -- confirms the times you mention. Must be a Schiphol / nation capital exception to the rule of thumb.

« Reply #3 on: 28 December, 2018, 03:38:14 pm »
The two trains you mention are not regular NS trains, they are international ones probably from Brussels via Rotterdam... not likely to be full of drunks but no guarantees!
Regards,

Alan